X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tapping into Pex

I need to run a quarter inch line from my water supply which is in pex over to a humidifier on my furnace. I have been told that I may use a saddle fitting to tap into the main line. Is that correct, or are there special pex fittings to accomplish this?

Re: Tapping into Pex

This is gonna be good.....

Comment

saddle fitting. breid...........

Comment

You need to identify the brand of pex that you already have, read the side of the pex itself and also read the sides of any fittings. With the brand identified go buy a tee from the source size to what you need and clamps if cinch style pex or collars if wrisbo style pex and the tools needed to do the job. Again everything is based on what brand and system you have. Some manufatcurers have several different styles as well.
        Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Do not use a saddle valve on PEX (or anywhere else IMO), You will crush the pipe and it will leak.

The tools for working for PEX are fairly expensive for a one time use so I would suggest using Sharkbite fittings.

Let's assume you are coming of a 1/2" PEX line. Cut in a Sharkbite 1/2" tee and then to a 1/2" Sharkbite ball valve. Come off the ball valve to a Sharkbite connector that goes to pipe thread. Reduce to 1/4" and run the flex line to the humidifier.

Here is a reference to Sharkbite if you are not familiar with the product. They are sold in all the big boxes and plumbing supply houses. There are generic products that work the same way i.e: Gatorbite

http://www.cashacme.com/prod_sharkbi...t_products.php

Comment

Originally posted by rjniles View Post
            Do not use a saddle valve on PEX (or anywhere else IMO), You will crush the pipe and it will leak.

The tools for working for PEX are fairly expensive for a one time use so I would suggest using Sharkbite fittings.

Let's assume you are coming of a 1/2" PEX line. Cut in a Sharkbite 1/2" tee and then to a 1/2" Sharkbite ball valve. Come off the ball valve to a Sharkbite connector that goes to pipe thread. Reduce to 1/4" and run the flex line to the humidifier.

Here is a reference to Sharkbite if you are not familiar with the product. They are sold in all the big boxes and plumbing supply houses. There are generic products that work the same way i.e: Gatorbite

http://www.cashacme.com/prod_sharkbi...t_products.php
            I just ended up using a a 3/4 to 1/2 tee and then put on a 1/2 pipe thread adapter and a valve and reduced it down to 1/4. More work and expense, put I feel more confident that it won't leak. Thanks everybody for the advice.

Comment

I would just use a sharkbite or two or three

Comment

Just about every pex manufacturer plus souix tool and raven make the tee fitting with valve for this application. It should cost you around 15 bucks and the installation tool will be around 200
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X