Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water pipe size chart?

Hi Guys

I was wondering if anybody can help me out with my question.

In Ontario, In a high rise building, is there a size code to know when a water supply pipe changes size. Like drains have fixture units, after a certain amount of fixture units the pipe upsizes, does water pipe have a chart like fixture units?

If a riser pipe is behind a wall with no visual, how can I determine at which floor the pipe upsizes? what do builders go by? I may have learned this in school but it's been so long and I have been in the service business my whole life.

If anyone can help me out or point me in a direction where I can get the info that would be much appreciated. Thanks

Re: Water pipe size chart?

That would depend on how many storys,is it a up or down feed system,
    fixture how many 200 500 2000 36000 ?

Comment

>>>If a riser pipe is behind a wall with no visual, how can I determine at which floor the pipe upsizes? what do builders go by?<<<

If you are in a commercial building there should be a set of as-built drawings with the building, without them the only way to know is to bust holes in the wall.

Comment

There sure is! You need to get your hands on an Ontario Plumbing code book or the National Plumbing Code of Canada that the Ontario book is modeled after to properly size water lines. But since your in a high rise, the plumbing system is definetly designed by an engineer so it could be sized differently from the code. The building manager likely has detailed plans of the mechanical specs so I would start there.

Some of the basics are:
        • Every type of fixture has a Fixture unit rating just like drainage.
        • Pressure from the street factors in
        • Elevation is factored in
        • Length of the longest run is factored in

*pm me if you want a sizing walkthrough
        Plumbing shop supr.
        My plumbing hobby site - PlumbingHelp.ca

Comment

If you are using the IPC code, pipe sizing is under Appendix "smoke and mirrors"
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X