Help on clogged Throne/tub

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help on clogged Throne/tub

Greeting Gentlemen and ladies! First off I would like to say thank you to all for your previous posts and replies. I have been viewing this forum for a couple of years. Aside from the great advice, you guys have a real good sense of humor!
    Anyways, I wanted to ask you guys bout a hand auger from the depot. At my sisters house, when the toilet is flushed sewage comes from the bath tub and over flows from the toilet. She had rotorooter come out and they said it was roots. That was about 60 days ago. Now the problem is back. A week ago i used the foaming root x, but i am aware its gonna take a few weeks before it decays the roots. So, do you think using one of those drill snakes at home depot would be good? Also my clean-out is under concrete and they had to use the roof as a way to the main line. Also, what plunger do you recomend and any plunging tips? I apologize if this was asked before, and i thank you all for your assistance or flaming! Thanks!

Re: Help on clogged Throne/tub

Call them back. I am sure they gave a warranty. Well I hope so. I would call them back and have them run the line again. When You call them back. Have them remove the toilet and rod from there.

What other problems are you having? Does everything not drain/backsup?

Comment

Thanks for the reply Handybull! Actually no other drain is backing up. The toilet on the other side of the house is slower than normal, but still flushes. My sister advised me the warranty was for only 30 days, perhaps I should give them a call to inquire more on that. Also, Sir, would I have to replace the wax seal if I remove the toilet?

Comment

yes the wax ring would need to be replaced, and I would find a local plumber who might stand behind his work longer than 30 days.

Comment

Thanks, I will call them in the morning to see whats up with the warranty. So, any plunging advice? Any speacial plunger like the plastic ones? Man, I've got a blister from putting that rubber tipped spear to work!

Comment

your toilet is a 3'' line minimum. a hand auger will get you in trouble guaranteed. either pulling the toilet or going on the roof is the way to access it. the line needs to be properly snaked. with the right machine. for me a k-60 with 7/8'' cable is the right machine

30 days is a short warranty. the root-x will work, but it takes time to kill and decay the roots that you treated.

call in a plumber/ drain cleaner to snake out the line fully and stay on top of the root-x. if you can afford a camera inspection, make sure to get a tape/ dvd for your records. the footage is an important number to document.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              your toilet is a 3'' line minimum. a hand auger will get you in trouble guaranteed. either pulling the toilet or going on the roof is the way to access it. the line needs to be properly snaked. with the right machine. for me a k-60 with 7/8'' cable is the right machine

30 days is a short warranty. the root-x will work, but it takes time to kill and decay the roots that you treated.

call in a plumber/ drain cleaner to snake out the line fully and stay on top of the root-x. if you can afford a camera inspection, make sure to get a tape/ dvd for your records. the footage is an important number to document.

rick.
              Ok, Now I can die. The Famous Plumber Rick has posted on my thread. No seriously, I have seen your advice on this forum for years. I really do appreciate your advice, all of you guys. I wish there was something I could offer. I make a mean paracord braclet!
              A few weeks ago I used a plunger to dislodge a clog, any special tips with that? Like fill that bathtub with water first? The tub does drain, very slowly though, and if i plunge the toilet, water comes from the bathtub drain. kinda cool in an annoying way. I even tryed dual plunging. Using one for the tub sink and one for the toliet.

Comment

My guess is that the plumber who cleared it the first time around didn't do a very good job at it. He/she probably just got the water flowing and didn't bother actually cleaning the drain (cutting out as much of the roots as possible).
                Ideal Plumbing

Comment

rule of thumb. if water backs up into the tub/ shower when you flush a toilet, all a plunger will do is get you wet, blow out a wax ring, work out your arms, stir up the dirt and push it into your tub.

a plunger is great when the stoppage is just confined to 1 fixture.

i use mine 95% of the time on toilet stoppages with a 99% success rate.

also on showers and tubs that need a push once i clear a main line and paper and waste had collected in the 1/5''- 2'' shower or tub line.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

It sounds like your home has a cottage ell. Its the closet elbow that the water closet sets on but has a side inlet for the lav and tub. If the blockage is in this fitting it can cause the tub to back up along with the water closet. A plunger can clear this type of blockage.

But if the blockage is further down the line the odds of a plunger clearing it goes way down. The machines the HD sell are not the right machine for a main line or a building drain. The rental department does rent the right size machines but I highly do not recommend doing this due to the dangers these machines present.

As others pointed out have a professional come and clear the drain, and televise the line to ensure its properly cleared and to ensure there is nothing wrong with the line.
                    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Without knowing your homes sewer system many factors could be causing your sewer to back up. 1 what is your sewer pipe made of?? Is it clay? Are there joints in the pipe. Roots may have been removed in one section of pipe and were just starting to grow in another section and the blades missed. 2 Was a sewer camera used? to see roots going into sewer sags etc. 3 what's being flushed? 4 did the RR tech use the right blades?

To many factors maybe be causing your problem. If they don't come back out get some one out there with a camera to inspect your sewer system. Snaking blind will remove what's blocking your sewer at that time but not show you hidden problems.

Rod
                      MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                      Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                      http://unclognh.com
                      http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                        It sounds like your home has a cottage ell. Its the closet elbow that the water closet sets on but has a side inlet for the lav and tub. If the blockage is in this fitting it can cause the tub to back up along with the water closet. A plunger can clear this type of blockage.

But if the blockage is further down the line the odds of a plunger clearing it goes way down. The machines the HD sell are not the right machine for a main line or a building drain. The rental department does rent the right size machines but I highly do not recommend doing this due to the dangers these machines present.

As others pointed out have a professional come and clear the drain, and televise the line to ensure its properly cleared and to ensure there is nothing wrong with the line.
                        Is a Cottage ell the same thing as a side in-let 90 or is it like a crow foot. i heard an old guy say cottage 90 1 time, your the second

Comment

Working...
                        X