Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Flushometer help

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
    So the same 1/2 azzed plumber did your building and your office.....small world
    All jokes aside.....I'm glad you can turn the water off now if you need to,bad things can happen when stop valves fail.
    Clearly he was no master.

Yeah I feel much safer now that I can turn off the water, though I will feel a bit better after the new valve has proven itself for a few days.

Comment

Actually I did have one question for you guys, the plumber told me not to worry about putting the friction ring over the vacuum breaker while assembling the breaker tube to the valve body. Any idea why he would say that?

Comment

If you don't use that friction ring, it will leak.
        Maybe not immediately, but soon enough.
        As for the chrome tube; not only is it for looks,
        but it provides a tight fit for the escutcheon.
        And teeth marks on chrome are not acceptable.
        Regardless of how the lack of the chrome trim
        appeals to you, the professionalism of the
        plumber is clearly questionable.
        Last edited by Big Jim; 04-13-2011, 06:28 AM.

Comment

The kits that do not come with a chrome tube have a supply flange with a smaller diameter to fit snugly on the 1" supply. The kits that come with the tube come with a supply flange with a wider internal diameter and a set screw.

When I change out the vacuum breaker tube with the new one I will use the friction ring.

And teeth marks on chrome are not acceptable.
          Regardless of how the lack of the chrome trim
          appeals to you, the professionalism of the
          plumber is clearly questionable.

The teeth marks. Yes. The existing fixture (old style GEM) had no chrome tube, and had a snug supply flange with no set screw, this new GEM 2 does not come with a chrome tube. I supplied the parts. The plumber can't instal what he does not have. The royals and regals come with the chrome tube and a wider flange with set screw, the GEM 2s do not. The supply flange supplied clearly is designed to fit snugly on the supply line without the tube.
          Last edited by JJJAAAMMM; 04-13-2011, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Question guys:

Just put the toilet back and connected everything up. I am getting a leak from the rear spud. Not any of my connections but from the bottom of the flange around the spud (yellow arrow in picture).

I am guessing the the gasket is shot, but also the metal seems a bit flakey. I put some silicone around it for now, but I should obviously replace it.

Is this a standard part? Or since this is an old toilet do I have to track down a part number?

Any help would be appreciated and hopefully we can lock down and burn this thread for good.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by JJJAAAMMM View Post
              Question guys:

Just put the toilet back and connected everything up. I am getting a leak from the rear spud. Not any of my connections but from the bottom of the flange around the spud (yellow arrow in picture).

I am guessing the the gasket is shot, but also the metal seems a bit flakey. I put some silicone around it for now, but I should obviously replace it.

Is this a standard part? Or since this is an old toilet do I have to track down a part number?

Any help would be appreciated and hopefully we can lock down and burn this thread for good.

Thanks
              If the flush tube is a 1.5" then that is the spud you need..should be a standard part...1.5" spud...
              Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
              You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

1.25" inlet. I see some online, but the ones I see the flange diameter does not seem as large.

I am going to stop in to the plumbing supply house down the street in the morning with some pics, see if they can be of help.

Comment

1.25" inlet. I see some online, but the ones I see the flange diameter does not seem as large.

I am going to stop in to the plumbing supply house down the street in the morning with some pics, see if they can be of help.
                  Well they do make 1.25" spuds....been a long time since I seen one on a toilet....usually on urinals...may have to take it off and go to a really good supply house and try to match it up or take it apart carefully and wash the rubber with warm soapy water and reassemble...

Derek

Comment

I think the washer probably dried out, plus when I removed the old flush tube I may have torqued it a bit. When I flushed for the first time after re-hooking everything up I had some black dust in the water.

I think I will bring my phone with picture and see what they can do for me. I wonder if I could just put a 1.5" on and change my flush tube.

Comment

I think the washer probably dried out, plus when I removed the old flush tube I may have torqued it a bit. When I flushed for the first time after re-hooking everything up I had some black dust in the water.

I think I will bring my phone with picture and see what they can do for me. I wonder if I could just put a 1.5" on and change my flush tube.
                      Very possible...if the opening in the toilet will allow...

Derek

Comment

Working...
                      X