Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Flushometer help

Originally posted by AFM View Post
    I am sorry for my smart *** remarks but this is a pro`s job as you cannot imagine the things that can go wrong.
    That $20,000 quote for what you discribed is ridicules you could pretty well get a new bathroom for that amount of money.

Tony
    No offense taken, and yeah welcome to the insanity that is NYC. I laughed the guy out of my apartment when he told me that price.

But in your opinion (assuming I am a competent person) you would not recommend me even closing the stop and disconnecting the toilet from the rear spud and leaving the flush system fully intact?

Just so i can retile, then replace?

Comment

20K Screw sprinkler work, I'm gonna become a NYC bathroom general contractor.

Comment

I would have to figure he would have made close to $15K in profit on the job, especially hiring grunts to do most of it at 8 bucks and hour.

There is no way he expected me to say yes, I have to assume that was his your job is a waste of my time quote, but you never know.

Comment

The Flushometer is ancient and will be a nightmare the moment you touch any part of it. If I was on a site and was contemplating pulling this toilet to snake a line, I'd find another way. I would not touch the thing w/o
          - knowing where a water shutoff was
          - getting releases signed before I touch it
          - having a new flushometer and vreything o installit in hand

My recomendation is to replace it.

I understand the political mess you are in the middle of. Here are some thoughts about that.

Someone owns that flushometer. If it is not you, it is the HOA, or whatever that entity is named in your area.

If it is your flushometer, then you are entitled to replace it if you wish, and the HOA can go get stuffed about it if they want to get snippy about turning off the water to let you do it. If they refuse to allow that, then perfect! Document your attempt to maintain your unit and their refusal to allow you to, do whatever you want, and when it explodes it is their problem.

Additionally, they can get stuffed about requiring you to use their contractor; if it is your flushometer you can do whatever you want with it. I'd suggest you use a liscensed, insured pro to do the replacement however, because if it were ever to cause a problem you could be responsible for any resulting damage.

If it is their flushometer, then tell them in writing that you are removing your toilet to replace your tile, and will be relying on their ancient stop to prevent a flood, won't be responsible if it fails to do so, and that now would be a perfect opportunity to replace it with something better.

Also, you could always cut the old tile out around the toile base, leaving it in place, and tile right up to it with new. This is dumb, but if they leave you no option they leave you no option. In this case, I'd be careful to get an answer in writing as to who is responsible for the damage when that thing fails in the future.
          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
            The Flushometer is ancient and will be a nightmare the moment you touch any part of it. If I was on a site and was contemplating pulling this toilet to snake a line, I'd find another way. I would not touch the thing w/o
            - knowing where a water shutoff was
            - getting releases signed before I touch it
            - having a new flushometer and vreything o installit in hand

My recomendation is to replace it.

I understand the political mess you are in the middle of. Here are some thoughts about that.

Someone owns that flushometer. If it is not you, it is the HOA, or whatever that entity is named in your area.

If it is your flushometer, then you are entitled to replace it if you wish, and the HOA can go get stuffed about it if they want to get snippy about turning off the water to let you do it. If they refuse to allow that, then perfect! Document your attempt to maintain your unit and their refusal to allow you to, do whatever you want, and when it explodes it is their problem.

Additionally, they can get stuffed about requiring you to use their contractor; if it is your flushometer you can do whatever you want with it. I'd suggest you use a liscensed, insured pro to do the replacement however, because if it were ever to cause a problem you could be responsible for any resulting damage.

If it is their flushometer, then tell them in writing that you are removing your toilet to replace your tile, and will be relying on their ancient stop to prevent a flood, won't be responsible if it fails to do so, and that now would be a perfect opportunity to replace it with something better.

Also, you could always cut the old tile out around the toile base, leaving it in place, and tile right up to it with new. This is dumb, but if they leave you no option they leave you no option. In this case, I'd be careful to get an answer in writing as to who is responsible for the damage when that thing fails in the future.
            Thanks Ace, the more I think about it the more I am leaning in this direction. What I was thinking was telling the board that I have been having intermittent problems with the valve and that I think replacing it is an imperative, and since I will be removing it I want to take the opportunity to retile the bathroom at the same time.

I feel fairly confident in turning the stop and leaving the flush valve on as an additional stop, as both would have to fail for catastrophe to ensue, however, without direct access to a main shutoff you can understand why this makes me nervous.

There is also a chance that this whole valve was rebuilt fairly recently and I have nothing to worry about, but who knows.

I can't wait to sell this place and move in to a house where I can truly be the king of my own castle.

Comment

Don't even touch the thing. At least not w/o having a way to isolate it.

I've had more than one of lesser age than that where I turn the stop to shut it off and it strats dripping. open it back up and it drips harder, etc.

Chances are it'll be nothing, shut off fine, stay that way thru your job, and work just fine after. Equally probable it'll explode the moment you touch it. Most likely it'll be a drippy nightmare after you disturb it.

You are on the second floor... there is only one unit under you... feel lucky?
              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

not that I plan on it, but wouldn't tightening the packing nut stop a dribble?

Comment

for what? the stop? I don't know on a gem, but on a royal the seal is an o-ring, not a packing that can be tightened. What happens on the old ones is the plating flakes away and/or the underlying mat'l pits to where the surface for the o-ring to seat to is no longer smooth, and the thing leaks. sometimes you get lucky and the metal is ok; it's just an old hard or eaten up o-ring.

Comment

oh I thought you were getting drips from the turn screw in the control stop.

Where would I most likely get a leak from if I kept the whole thing intact but disconnected the bowl after the vacuum breaker/flush tube?

Would the act of turning the water off mess up the gasket inside the flush valve itself? Like the loss of pressure would cause it to become dislodged or for the metal to flake away or pit? More than anything I am curious now.

Comment

Look, man, you seem to be pretty smart so I think you know that
                      the supply stop will need to be replaced sooner or later. So why not
                      just go all in? Like swong said, get your new valve, get the super to
                      turn off the water long enough to take off the old stop and thread a
                      new one on, and you're good to go. You may have to deal with a
                      little static pressure on the line so have a bucket or two ready.
                      A half-assed repair will yield half-assed results.

Comment

Starting over with a whole new valve will save you a lot of cash/problems

Comment

"...a bucket or two..."? I'm not an expert on 5 story buildings but unless he has isolation valves on his floor I would think a small swimming pool would hold all the water from a possible storage tank on the roof.
                          "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

When I had my kitchen redone, they definitely had to turn the water off to run all new lines to relocate my sink. I was not around for that but there has to be a way for them to do it. I know it involved turning the water off for my building. I am pretty sure I do not have a water tank on my building, I think in Manhattan you have to be a bit taller than 5 floors to have to worry about pressure.

I am not sure if they had to drain the system or not, or if there are back flow preventers of some type.

I think I am going to try and get some quotes from a plumber for this work, you guys have any ballpark idea what changing out the floshometer should cost me - the parts should be no more than $150.

Comment

The problem with trying to give you a fixed quotation is what is the supply pipe in the wall made of and its age if it is galvanised and you unscrew the flushometer isolating valve off and the gal thread coming out of the wall may fall apart then what and you are not going to know until someone does it and then its to late and you are going to be in a lot a hurt $$$$$

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
                                The problem with trying to give you a fixed quotation is what is the supply pipe in the wall made of and its age if it is galvanised and you unscrew the flushometer isolating valve off and the gal thread coming out of the wall may fall apart then what and you are not going to know until someone does it and then its to late and you are going to be in a lot a hurt $$$$$

Tony
                                Ahhh! Tony you are killing me! J/K. It is copper, I just gave it a scratch test.

Comment

Working...
                                X