X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Max depth for SCH30 PVC

Just to make sure we are all on the same page. Are we all talking about SDR35 the green pipe in the pic?

Thats what I'm talking about and I have yet to see a problem with it.
    I'll admit I have not camed nearly as much of this as I have clay pipe and I see even less PVC SCH40.

But I've never seen a problem with SDR35 that can't be directly attributed to installer error. The same goes for SCH40 PVC. Most common problem I see with both is bellies in the line, and thats because someone didn't take the time to bed it properly.
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

SDR 35 and SCH 30 PVC are both PVC pipe. The problem with collapsed pipe has more to with a poor installation than anything else.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Max depth 6" off the floor
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

If your referring to the old original PVC pipe that was green and was from the 60's, I remember it well. It was extremely brittle and broke very easily when buried. I remember a subdivision that had all slab homes and the contractor ran one copper and one green PVC line under the slab and into the little pump room. I have no idea why to this day why he did it like that, but since they were all deep well systems, the copper faired quite well, however, the green stuff didn't. Once it broke, it was a super problem getting another pipe into that pump room.
          Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

This green pipe is used on a property I own: PVC SDR 28. This pipe is thick walled cannot be easily crushed. This section was accidentally broken by an excavator at 5-6 feet deep.
            Attached Files

Comment

We used a lot of sch30 3"pvc on undergrounds. I don't think it was a good idea, but I've no idea how it is holding up. I do like using sch30 3"pvc above ground because the fitting hub will fit inside a 2x4 wall. I thought sch30 pvc only came in 3".

Comment

From Charlotte:

Thanks for contacting Charlotte Pipe.

We get questions about crush ratings/pipe stiffness/burial depth all the time. As far as crush rating is concerned, plastics are very different from rigid materials (like cast iron). Plastics do not have a crush rating or a known weight at which they will fail. Rather plastics are considered to be in a failed state once they deflect 5%.

We cannot give the maximum burial depths for any plastic pipe products we produce. Maximum burial depth varies greatly with details specific to each job, and those variables normally require the supervision of a civil engineer. However, we can supply you with any pipe data that you need. Specifically, we can give you the attached chart showing the pipe stiffness values for the pipe that we manufacture. Pipe stiffness correlates to a the pipe’s ability to handle a load.

We recommend the “Handbook of PVC Pipe: Design and Construction” form the Uni-Bell Pipe Association, Dallas, TX as resource on buried PVC pipe. Also, Uni-Bell has an excellent calculator for external loads on flexible conduits. This calculator can be downloaded on the Uni-Bell website: http://www.uni-bell.org/unidown.html. All of the variables accounted for in this calculator should be checked for accuracy for your specific application. The pipe stiffness determined at 5% deflection per ASTM D 2412 is shown in the attachment.

In addition, I have attached some comparative documents regarding cast iron and plastics and a segment from our Plastics Technical Manual regarding Underground Installation. This provides our recommendations regarding trenching, bedding and backfilling in accordance with ASTM D 2321. Please review this information. If you have any additional questions, please let me know.

(Documents didn't come through correctly for some reason)

In short, according to Charlotte Tech Services, there is no maximum depth rating for any plastic pipe because every job will have different soil or backfill along with installation method with that backfill.

Combine the two and it's a constant variable. So they would be, and should be, afraid to put a number on it.

I've never, ever, seen a reputable contractor install Sch. 30 anything. Come to think of it, I can't remember seeing it anywhere here at all.

Guess we're just not that cheap yet.

J.C.

Comment

Thanks JC.

I find it kind of hard to believe that there is no industry standard for depth of plastic pipe.

Without knowing its crush/deflection limits how can an engineer confidently design a system?

I know the deepest I've layed SDR35 was 18'. Deeper then 18' and we always ductile iron as per Engineers plans. I doubt they just picked 18' without any kind of data to back it up.
                  INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                  Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Working...
                  X