Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tub Drain Leak Help!!

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
    Fascinating!

So dirty tub water can siphon back into the water supply.

Whose dumb jury-rigged idea was this?
    Or was this accepted practice back then - no overflow and no vacuum breaker?

Can you just watch the pipes when someone is taking a hot bath? Or set a camcorder therecording close up?

Can you update and convert the fill opening into an overflow (but it does look too low) and also install a shower?
    (If we take a bath, we alwayshower to rinse off the dirty, soapy bath water.)
    this was the start of anti-siphon laws from what i was taught in school.

because of the big quake and fire in san fransisco from 1906.

a very sick man who died in his tub with the water still turned on polluted the water supply when the quake and fires struck. the water was siphoned back as the pressure dropped. the firemen fighting the fires were poisoned as they drank from the hoses. they too eventually died.

this was all caused by the tub spouts being allowed inside the tub. had the spouts been 1'' above the overflow of the tub, then the back siphonage would not have happened. also if the valves were closed or the person didn't have a deadly disease, then we might not have the laws we have today.

hope i have the story correct as this was what was told to us during our code class in the early 80's.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
      Yes the tub spout was where the overflow usually is. It had a plunger and tube mounted to the back and the stoppe(plunger) was internal...operated by the center handle of the faucet. I have some pics i will try to dig up and post.

Here ya go,this tub does not have an overflow. Here is a pic from the backside in the wall.

See the spout drop next to the hot supply?

Doesn't that look like a water stain on the outside of the tub coming down from the filler spout? Just an observation .
      Huck.

Comment

Sure looks like there is some seepage around what I would consider to be the hot water faucet. I would turn the hot water on (If it is indeed the one on the picture right) and see if it leaks.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckwheat View Post
          Sure looks like there is some seepage around what I would consider to be the hot water faucet. I would turn the hot water on (If it is indeed the one on the picture right) and see if it leaks.
          Good observation!
          I didn't even look there.
          It looks wet.
          First I would clean all that debris out.
          Then leave a flat newspaper or paper towel to show drips.
          I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
          It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
          "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Was thinking that as well..Then rip it all out and do it right
            ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              ...this was all caused by the tub spouts being allowed inside the tub. had the spouts been 1'' above the overflow of the tub, then the back siphonage would not have happened. also if the valves were closed or the person didn't have a deadly disease, then we might not have the laws we have today.
              rick.
              Sad if people had to die to improve the plumbing code.
              Did they also allow the toilet float valve tank filler tube to be submerged with no vacuum breaker?
              I seem to remember that as a little child fascinated with everything in the toiletank.
              I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
              It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
              "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Originally posted by huckster4 View Post
                Doesn't that look like a water stain on the outside of the tub coming down from the filler spout? Just an observation .
                Huck.
                It probably is. That set up is around 80 or 90 years old. Over that long you can wear a few rubber gaskets out.

Yes it does look like that but its not wet. It's discolored.

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                Was thinking that as well..Then rip it all out and do it right
                Do it right? Its lasted almost 100 years and its still rockin Add backflow prevention and leave the spout alone

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
                  Sad if people had to die to improve the plumbing code.
                  Did they also allow the toilet float valve tank filler tube to be submerged with no vacuum breaker?
                  I seem to remember that as a little child fascinated with everything in the toiletank.
                  They still sell those crappy toilet fill valves that are totally submerged in the tank.....I forgot their name,help please. Its like quietfill pro or some bullshiot

Comment

Working...
                  X