Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Low Pressure With Moentrol Shower System

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
    Why would the box list showerhead flow only when the package fills both a tub and shower?

If I have time tomorrow (and remember) I'll hookup that moentrol valve and see what we get.
    Save yourself the trouble. That set up is sold with 4 body sprays that flow 1.75 gpm @ 80 psi The showerhead is limited to 2.5gpm @ 80psi

Here is a link to the PDF> see page 4 the body sprays.
    http://www.moen.com/shared/pdf/263sp.pdf
    Last edited by TheMaster; 01-09-2011, 08:21 PM. Reason: ADD A LINK

Comment

I think they only list the shower head flow because of the low flow regulations for shower heads. When you are filling a tub, they assume that you are not an environmentally correct individual.

I'd bet though that the valve body will flow somewhere between 10 and 20 gph at 80lbs.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
        Save yourself the trouble. That set up is sold with 4 body sprays that flow 1.75 gpm @ 80 psi The showerhead is limited to 2.5gpm @ 80psi

Here is a link to the PDF> see page 4 the body sprays.
        http://www.moen.com/shared/pdf/263sp.pdf
        The Moentrol I have is a 3510 or 12. So it's different than the one in the pdf link. I'm curious at this point on several different levels and will post what I find when I'm done.
        Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

That valve is rated at more than 2.5 gal. a minute. I dont know the xact number but its alot more than that. Check and see.

i have 2 of those valves for my house. and they do flow alot more than 2.5gpm. i'm thinking closer to 8gpm.

my moen roman tub valves are 3/4'' hi flow and those flow approx 13gpm.

the 2.5 is the shower head rating. the tub spout is not regulated by code as it needs to fill a tub. there is no code requirement on gpm for a tub.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
            The Moentrol I have is a 3510 or 12. So it's different than the one in the pdf link. I'm curious at this point on several different levels and will post what I find when I'm done.
            I can get more than 2.5 out of a moen K-faucet without the aerator. Think about it.

Comment

thanks for all the replies. i will try to respond to them as i remember:

the balancing spool move freely so, i did not clean it.

i have replaced the 1225 cartridge with no change.

i have taken both the diverter cartridge and 1225 separately and allowed the water to flow out with what seemed no problem. i have removed the shower head and even soaked it in clr but, the pressure is low for all heads in the shower.

there are four body sprays, a rainfall shower head in the middle of the ceiling, a spout and normal shower head as well, and, on the opposite wall from the diverter a handheld shower head on a hose.

the pipe is copper. there is no pressure reducing valve being used. and, the water heater has not been replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by hood4u View Post
                thanks for all the replies. i will try to respond to them as i remember:

the balancing spool move freely so, i did not clean it.

i have replaced the 1225 cartridge with no change.

i have taken both the diverter cartridge and 1225 separately and allowed the water to flow out with what seemed no problem. i have removed the shower head and even soaked it in clr but, the pressure is low for all heads in the shower.

there are four body sprays, a rainfall shower head in the middle of the ceiling, a spout and normal shower head as well, and, on the opposite wall from the diverter a handheld shower head on a hose.

the pipe is copper. there is no pressure reducing valve being used. and, the water heater has not been replaced.
                Read posts #2 and #6. Take the integral stop valves apart and make sure the washers are still on the stem. Use an air compressor connected to the showerhead down pipe. Blow some air through it REVERSE tha FLOW and maybe blow some trash out of it or the integral stop washer or piece there of.

Comment

Read posts #2 and #6. Take the integral stop valves apart and make sure the washers are still on the stem. Use an air compressor connected to the showerhead down pipe. Blow some air through it REVERSE tha FLOW and maybe blow some trash out of it or the integral stop washer or piece there of.

are the intergral stops the silver slotted stems on either end of the valve body pictured? i only have access to one of the stops if that is what they are since the other ends up behind the shower wall. i did remove the left stop that i have access to and it does not have any washer and no screw hole to hold one. i am trying to get access to an air compressor so i can try blowing the line out

Comment

Originally posted by hood4u View Post
                    i did remove the left stop that i have access to and it does not have any washer and no screw hole to hold one.
                    Then you missed something. The stop is in two pieces with a spring
                    in between. The washer is pressed onto the smaller piece. Could be
                    that the washer is stuck to the seat or the stem has been removed.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Big Jim; 02-03-2011, 06:00 PM.

Comment

well i reversed the flow on everything and no change. anyway, i went back to the original source of my problem; the rain shower head in the middle of the ceiling in the shower and took that apart again. i noticed that there was an additional part almost connected directly to the pipe coming through the drywall. i didn't notice it before since it is snug against the ceiling. well, i removed that and inside was a plastic water saver looking washer that seems to allow the water to distribute throughout the shower head before it comes our. in the center where there is a phillips head shaped hole were two very small pieces of plastic that had broken free from the side of the water saver and lodged in the hole. removed them and viola!!

thanks for all your help)

Comment

I thought you said you had low flow through all of the fixtures not just the rain head. Had you clarified that in the beginning I'm sure you wouldn't have been directed to attempt all them things. Make sure you state your problem clearly and concisely and the help you receive will be time saving and accurate. Glad you got it working again.

Comment

Working...
                        X