X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Pressure With Moentrol Shower System

I have a moen shower setup that has been working fine for years. it pulls out to turn on the water and has only a single handle that controls both temperature and volume. there are multiple heads all over the shower so there is an additional diverter to move the flow to other heads. one day all of a sudden the flow is obviously constricted in some way. there have been no changes to the houses plumbing ie. repairing pipes, adding any fixtures or, construction.

my first inclanation was to assume something had happened with the washers or cartridge itself in the diverter. so, i removed it and inspected it and everything was fine. then i pulled the 1225 cartridge in the actual shower diverter and replaced it just in case. still no change. then i removed the pressure balancing spool and inspected that. no problem there looks fine and the ball inside moves freely.

now i am stumped. i dont want to have to replace the pressure balancing spool just as a test since it is pretty expensive. any ideas?

Re: Low Pressure With Moentrol Shower System

Remove the diveter stem and turn the water on...see what kinda flow u get. Try to isolate the problem to before the diverter or after the diverter. Please post your findings. Did you remove all the trim from the faucet? Does it have integral stop valves on the rough valve? If so part of the washer or all the washer may have came off the stem and lodged itself in either the hot/cold feed to the rough valve.

Comment

i removed the diverter that sends the water to the different heads and, turned on the water. the flow was not sifnificantly low but it may have seemed that it could be stronger. but not knowing what the flow was like before the issue began i can not say for sure that the flow is less.

then i put the diverter back in place and moved on to the moen shower valve. i removed all the trim from the faucet and here is what i have. the plastic plate is still in place that is used for installation. the moen 1225 cartridge is in the center and to the right of that behind a slot accessible by using a screw driver is the pressure balancing spool. to the left is a small slotted cartridge which if i am correct is used to adjust the temp but, i am not sure all three of these i have access to through the hole in the shower wall. there is a third small slotted cartridge or something behind the shower wall that i am not able to get access to.

Comment

here is what the valve most closely resembles. obviously i can't see the whole thing because it is behind the shower wall but, i believe this is what it looks like. if i have to get access to the fourth cartridge or, what may be the integral stops will i be able to get a bigger escutcheon to cover the hole i will have to cut in the shower?

Attached Files

Comment

just hoping anyone had any other thoughts. i am still having trouble with the pressure and cant seem to find out what is causing the issue. after the last time taking the shower apart and putting it back together now when i start the shower i get full pressure almost every time for about 3 seconds then it drops back to the lower pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by hood4u View Post
            just hoping anyone had any other thoughts. i am still having trouble with the pressure and cant seem to find out what is causing the issue. after the last time taking the shower apart and putting it back together now when i start the shower i get full pressure almost every time for about 3 seconds then it drops back to the lower pressure.
            Sure take the valve completely apart and blow it out with an air compressor/nitrogen or replace the valve.

Comment

that sounds like a diverter problem to me.

Post some pics if you can.

Comment

Originally posted by hood4u View Post
                I have a moen shower setup that has been working fine for years. it pulls out to turn on the water and has only a single handle that controls both temperature and volume. there are multiple heads all over the shower so there is an additional diverter to move the flow to other heads. one day all of a sudden the flow is obviously constricted in some way. there have been no changes to the houses plumbing ie. repairing pipes, adding any fixtures or, construction.

my first inclanation was to assume something had happened with the washers or cartridge itself in the diverter. so, i removed it and inspected it and everything was fine. then i pulled the 1225 cartridge in the actual shower diverter and replaced it just in case. still no change. then i removed the pressure balancing spool and inspected that. no problem there looks fine and the ball inside moves freely.

now i am stumped. i dont want to have to replace the pressure balancing spool just as a test since it is pretty expensive. any ideas?
                If the balancing spool slides freely and knocks when you shake it then it's fine.

The 1225 cartridge is cheap so I would replace that just because.

How many outlets are there? (Ex: two showerheads and two bodysprays).
                Can you post a pic of your setup? Have you taken apart the diverter valve yet? I would remove the stem, stuff the wall cavity with a towel/plastic bag to prevent water from getting into the wall, then turn on the shower valve to see how much water is getting to the diverter valve.

Have you removed the showerhead (s) so the water discharges from the showerarm? If so, did you let it flow into a 5 gallon bucket? The valve body you posted an image of is rated at about 2.5 gallons per minute. So it should be easy to quantify how much flow you're getting.
                Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                  If the balancing spool slides freely and knocks when you shake it then it's fine.

The 1225 cartridge is cheap so I would replace that just because.

How many outlets are there? (Ex: two showerheads and two bodysprays).
                  Can you post a pic of your setup? Have you taken apart the diverter valve yet? I would remove the stem, stuff the wall cavity with a towel/plastic bag to prevent water from getting into the wall, then turn on the shower valve to see how much water is getting to the diverter valve.

Have you removed the showerhead (s) so the water discharges from the showerarm? If so, did you let it flow into a 5 gallon bucket? The valve body you posted an image of is rated at about 2.5 gallons per minute. So it should be easy to quantify how much flow you're getting.
                  That valve is rated at more than 2.5 gal. a minute. I dont know the xact number but its alot more than that. Check and see.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                    That valve is rated at more than 2.5 gal. a minute. I dont know the xact number but its alot more than that. Check and see.
                    Sorry dude. It's about 2.5 gpm. I have one in my garage that I've been wanting to use. I had a spot where I could have used it a month or so ago but the application was a 6 foot tub/shower. So I definitely wanted more than 2.5 gpm or the tub would take an hour to fill. The box said 2.5 gpm. I double checked at the supply house. It's not the kind of GPM I was hoping for more since it's an older valve. (I was surprised too.)

I ended up installing a Hans Grohe.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                      Sorry dude. It's about 2.5 gpm. I have one in my garage that I've been wanting to use. I had a spot where I could have used it a month or so ago but the application was a 6 foot tub/shower. So I definitely wanted more than 2.5 gpm or the tub would take an hour to fill. The box said 2.5 gpm. I double checked at the supply house. It's not the kind of GPM I was hoping for more since it's an older valve. (I was surprised too.)

I ended up installing a Hans Grohe.
                      Tats what the showerhead was rated at. The valve will run much more than 2.5 gpm. My lavatory runs 2.5 gpm See ya later dude

Comment

Moen's literature says 2.5 also for the Moentrol but, I suspect that they are listing the shower head flow. Unfortunately, I can't find anything in my massive catalog of Moen that lists valve flow performance. One thing you can try is taking the cartridge out and turning the water on. See what you have for flow out the valve body. Might be a chance that you have something in the pipes.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                          Moen's literature says 2.5 also for the Moentrol but, I suspect that they are listing the shower head flow. Unfortunately, I can't find anything in my massive catalog of Moen that lists valve flow performance. One thing you can try is taking the cartridge out and turning the water on. See what you have for flow out the valve body. Might be a chance that you have something in the pipes.
                          Yeah I'm not trying to make a big deal out of it but I think they are too. I know with any valve I've connected and flushed out..your getting a hellva lot more than 2.5gpm. I think Delta's flow at 12gpm and kohler makes one that flows 18gpm.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                            Why would the box list showerhead flow only when the package fills both a tub and shower?

If I have time tomorrow (and remember) I'll hookup that moentrol valve and see what we get.

Comment

Have you had the water heater replaced?

Is there a Pressure Reducing Valve on the system?

What kind of water pipe do you have?

Did you clean the balancing spool? Vinegar? Whack it on a table?

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X