X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? Question on pipe in concrete floor?

a section of our church was built in 1959, and all the water pipe is under or in the slab and in the concrete walls of the basement, that is in the basement, in this section of the building.

the pipe from what I can see seems to be copper, even tho in two locations it also looks like there are two galvanized stubs coming out, but in one wall where the cement has cracked and flaked off there is copper going to the lavatory in one restroom, so I do not know that it is all copper, I can nearly guess it is soldered with regular lead solder, and not brazed,

I made the recommendation to re pipe it over head, (there is going to be a remodeling project taking out the old kitchen sink in that area, and redoing the rest room, and the ceilings will be open up as well, one other member on the building committee say if it is copper it is fine do not worry about it, I replied if we have it all open and for basically 30 foot of pipe, the pipe is 50+ years old I say lets replace the in the slab with over head new pipe, and not worry about
    (we have one line going up the cement corner that has been bedded in a plaster, to a sillcock that is weeping, and it is copper).

What would you guys recommend to our building committee? Replace it or not,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Re: ? Question on pipe in concrete floor?

Originally posted by BHD View Post
    a section of our church was built in 1959, and all the water pipe is under or in the slab and in the concrete walls of the basement, that is in the basement, in this section of the building.

the pipe from what I can see seems to be copper, even tho in two locations it also looks like there are two galvanized stubs coming out, but in one wall where the cement has cracked and flaked off there is copper going to the lavatory in one restroom, so I do not know that it is all copper, I can nearly guess it is soldered with regular lead solder, and not brazed,

I made the recommendation to re pipe it over head, (there is going to be a remodeling project taking out the old kitchen sink in that area, and redoing the rest room, and the ceilings will be open up as well, one other member on the building committee say if it is copper it is fine do not worry about it, I replied if we have it all open and for basically 30 foot of pipe, the pipe is 50+ years old I say lets replace the in the slab with over head new pipe, and not worry about
    (we have one line going up the cement corner that has been bedded in a plaster, to a sillcock that is weeping, and it is copper).

What would you guys recommend to our building committee? Replace it or not,
    At 50-years old your copper has served it's useful life. If you are doing any major remodeling at minimum replace it in that area.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I agree with mark to utah now replace as much as you have easy access to !

Concrete can be corrisolve to copper pipe
      JERRYMAC
      E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
      CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
      FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
      SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

ditto utah and jerry. breid..............

Comment

Thank you all for the recommendation,
          this was my thinking, and I just wanted to see if others were of the same opinion,

Again thank you, I will pass the info along,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
          X