Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sweating toilet reservoir

Originally posted by Chemeng View Post
    If I can control myself (which I think I can) I'm not gonna waste anymore time posting on this thread. However by typing this I guess I can't control myself !!!!
    Ok I will try to explain what is happening. In the summer we get really humid weather. If a toilet is not used for a while the water in the tank gets cold because the HVAC unit is pumping in cold air to the bathroom. Then the kids of the house are going in and out and leaving the doors open letting in huge amounts of warm moist air.......this collects as condensation on the toilet tank,the walls,the flloors etc. So unless you add a heater to the toilet tanks water or insulate the tank there is always a chance it could sweat. I get calls several times a year for the above problem.

I hope that is satisfactory because I'm just a plumber...thats the best I can do for ya.

Comment

your can of beer sweats when you take it OUT the fridge NOT when you put it in the fridge. at least that's how it is in indiana. you only get condensation when the vessel is colder than air. frozen mugs come to mind. hot mugs are not sweating when put in the chiller. i just put a purex cup in the nuke for a couple minutes. boiled the water and then dumped the water still no condensation. i live in fulton, indiana, in the united states of america. calling rod serling. calling rod serling. breid...........

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
        your can of beer sweats when you take it OUT the fridge NOT when you put it in the fridge. at least that's how it is in indiana. you only get condensation when the vessel is colder than air. frozen mugs come to mind. hot mugs are not sweating when put in the chiller. i just put a purex cup in the nuke for a couple minutes. boiled the water and then dumped the water still no condensation. i live in fulton, indiana, in the united states of america. calling rod serling. calling rod serling. breid...........
        In my example the vessel would be colder than the air temp. The HVAC unit cools the water in the tank and lack of use keeps it cool. Now the home is opened up and exposed to hot humid air. Like a lady taking groceries into her house or sombody forgot to shut the door...etc. I hope this helps.

Comment

Here in humid Arkansas when your carport sweats ,, You better be ready for a bad storm ..

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
            Here in humid Arkansas when your carport sweats ,, You better be ready for a bad storm ..
            That's not an air conditioned house.
            How does this phenomena event happen?

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
              High humidity and quick changes in temp. You'll slip on those carports too and cement steps...especially the painted ones.

Comment

I installed the mixing valve that Redwood posted about and have had zero problems since. Before there would be a puddle under the tank during air conditioning season..... No, not because I missed.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckwheat View Post
                  I installed the mixing valve that Redwood posted about and have had zero problems since. Before there would be a puddle under the tank during air conditioning season..... No, not because I missed.
                  If you don't mind me asking.
                  Where did you pull the hot water from?

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post

My guess would be over sized air conditioners

Comment

Installation was pretty simple as everything runs right under my bathroom and that portion of my basement is unfinished (mechanical room). One Tee one 90 and about 2 feet of copper pipe. Going on 5 years since installation and still working great.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckwheat View Post
                        Installation was pretty simple as everything runs right under my bathroom and that portion of my basement is unfinished (mechanical room). One Tee one 90 and about 2 feet of copper pipe. Going on 5 years since installation and still working great.
                        Sweating toilets in Iowa.Who'd have thought?.
                        Gotta run hot to the toilets

Comment

I find toilets conected to hot lines once in a while
                          I though the plumber just didnt know what he was doing

Comment

we have sweaters in indiana. i have seen sweaters in to canada. we also have air conditioned carports. we know how to live right. breid..........

Comment

There seems to be a little confusion and misconception here.
                              Perhaps these 2 links will clear things up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condensation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evaporation
                              411 Plumb Appliance Stimulus Package

Comment

Working...
                              X