Sweating toilet reservoir

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweating toilet reservoir

Hey can anyone suggest a good way of keeping the toilet tank reservoir from sweating so much?
    Thanks

Re: Sweating toilet reservoir

Originally posted by TESLA View Post
    Hey can anyone suggest a good way of keeping the toilet tank reservoir from sweating so much?
    Thanks
    Have alot of company over for Christmas and the toilet get flushed alot?

Not much I know to do other than getting a toilet with an insulated tank.... I think a DIY kit is sold that consists of foam that you install in the tank to prevent sweating but I have never used one.

Comment

In most cases as stated by TheMaster above it could just be a case of Heavy usage.

Some other possibilities include a leaking flapper or, bad fill valve where fresh cold water is always running through the toilet.

Newer 1.6 gallon per flush toilets do not empty the tank with each flush and seldom sweat unless there is heavy usage or, a leaking toilet.

If you have an older toilet that uses the entire tank every flush, upgrading to a new toilet will most likely solve the sweating problem. Another option is to install an Anti Sweat Valve that mixes a small amount of hot water with the cold to temper the water to room temperature preventing sweat. The water vapor in the air only condenses on cold surfaces.

411 Plumb Appliance Stimulus Package

Comment

Originally posted by Redwood View Post
        In most cases as stated by TheMaster above it could just be a case of Heavy usage.

Some other possibilities include a leaking flapper or, bad fill valve where fresh cold water is always running through the toilet.

Newer 1.6 gallon per flush toilets do not empty the tank with each flush and seldom sweat unless there is heavy usage or, a leaking toilet.

If you have an older toilet that uses the entire tank every flush, upgrading to a new toilet will most likely solve the sweating problem. Another option is to install an Anti Sweat Valve that mixes a small amount of hot water with the cold to temper the water to room temperature preventing sweat. The water vapor in the air only condenses on cold surfaces.
        If you use the valve pictured be sure you have hot water at or very close to that mixing valve. We have that problem worse in the summer here...the incoming water is warmer than the air temp in the room.

Good post Redwood.

Comment

what would hot water in the summer have to do with it? i have never had a hot can of beer sweat. what am i missing here? breid.................

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
            what would hot water in the summer have to do with it? i have never had a hot can of beer sweat. what am i missing here? breid.................
            We have a very hot and humid climate with exceptioanlly fast weather changes. Cold tank then being filled with warm water along with high humidity and alot of traffic in and out of the house/bathroom it can make the tank and or bowl sweat. Think of the jungle and you just about have my climate.

Comment

The warmer water coming in the tank in the summer can/will only HELP with the reduction (on indeed stopping) of condensation on the cold ceramic toilet tank. (in fact that is why someone mentioned the use of an anti-sweat valve which adds HOT water).

Comment

Originally posted by Chemeng View Post
                The warmer water coming in the tank in the summer can/will only HELP with the reduction (on indeed stopping) of condensation on the cold ceramic toilet tank. (in fact that is why someone mentioned the use of an anti-sweat valve which adds HOT water).
                I was speaking towards specific weather conditions in the summer. Like a cold building with alot of humidity entering and heavy use of the toilet. I've seen it raining here and 95 degrees outside. We get over 5' of rain on average a year. Big swings in temp. and quick.

Comment

so you have water that is over 95f coming in to your house? do you live on hot spring? hell with water that hot there, no one would need to buy a hot tub. i'l bet geothermal heat pumps work very efficiently. no need for a water heater. almost to where you would need to buy blocks of ice to use in you pool like the polar bears at the zoo. speaking of hell. clear it up for us. breid.................

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
                    so you have water that is over 95f coming in to your house? do you live on hot spring? hell with water that hot there, no one would need to buy a hot tub. i'l bet geothermal heat pumps work very efficiently. no need for a water heater. almost to where you would need to buy blocks of ice to use in you pool like the polar bears at the zoo. speaking of hell. clear it up for us. breid.................
                    In the sumer it common to have complaints of no cold water. I find 85-90 degree water coming from the citys main.

No you dont need a hot tub here in the summer......i've had the residual water in a water hose burn me.

Now throw in 90%-100% humidity and drop the temp 30 degrees in 5 minutes......then crank it back up to 95 degrees. We have huge changes in temps somtimes. Parking lots look like smoke machines with the water vapor coming off. Concrete slabs under breeze ways sweat....condensation drips off roof tops. Like I said it rains over 60" per year here and one year within a 4 or 5 day period we got over 36" of rain.

PLENTY of times i have not wanted to go swimming in pools in the summer because the water was simply HOT.......the river is where you go in the summer if you want to cool off,its fed by natural springs.
                    Last edited by TheMaster; 12-27-2010, 12:28 PM.

Comment

My b.s. meter is starting to twitch.
                      Just where do you live, anyway, so I'll know not to go there.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim View Post
                        My b.s. meter is starting to twitch.
                        Just where do you live, anyway, so I'll know not to go there.
                        Soory it makes u upset that our toilets sweat,walls sweat,floors sweat,windows and even people sweat But very high humidity and swift temp changes can do that.

Welcome to tha Jungle

Oh and pipes sweat too
                        Last edited by TheMaster; 12-27-2010, 05:54 PM. Reason: pipes sweat too.

Comment

You need humidity and the right temperature differential. i.e. dewpoint.

Real cold water in heated environment=Sweat.

Real warm water in well cooled environment=Sweat.

Right? Wrong?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                            You need humidity and the right temperature differential. i.e. dewpoint.

Real cold water in heated environment=Sweat.

Real warm water in well cooled environment=Sweat.

Right? Wrong?

J.C.
                            Sounds right to me ..
                            ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

If I can control myself (which I think I can) I'm not gonna waste anymore time posting on this thread. However by typing this I guess I can't control myself !!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X