X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hot water mystery

a client came to me complaining of cool/tepid water for her morning shower. she takes one in the evening and it is scalding hot. her unit is gas fired and she is the only user. what can cause daily temp fluctuations like this? my first thought was ambient temp variances but this does not seem to be the case. any help?

Re: hot water mystery

Originally posted by steevo76 View Post
    a client came to me complaining of cool/tepid water for her morning shower. she takes one in the evening and it is scalding hot.
    Faulty burner thermostat

My GUESS is thathe tank water temperature so gradually declines through the nighthat it does not overcome the mechanical resistance threshold in the.rmostat to cause the burner to click on.

But when she uses hot water, cold water entering the tank abruptly drops the temperature and that shock overcomes the themostat's mechanism resistance.
    Theater has not had enough time to recover before she takes a morning shower.

Throughouthe day, that same gradual decline occurrs.
    In the evening, she arrives home and starts drawing hot water. The.rmostathen clicks on.
    By the time she gets to taking a shower later in the evening, the water heater has recovered.

My wife and I were on a radio contest show!
    The host asked her: "For $100, tell us what you said to your boyfriend on your first date."
    Wife, trying to remember: "Gee, that's hard!"
    Host: "You just won $100!!"
    Last edited by Robert Gift; 12-28-2010, 01:25 PM. Reason: Had to rush. Now clarifying
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Have you inspected the heater?

Comment

Gas Valve.

J.C.

Comment

Who needs to take two showers a day, anyhow?

Comment

Replace the gas valve. The thermostat is either not feeling tank temperature or is bad. Most often, it's bad.
            sigpic

Comment

Can anyone think of anything other than a bad gas valve/thermostat that could cause the problem of warm water in the morning and very hot water at night on a gas fired water heater and the user is not the problem??????

Comment

Thermal stacking....

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                  Gas Valve.

J.C.

This

Comment

thank you everybody! you're right. i usually work with electronic stats so by default i guess thats how i looked at this one. i forgot to realize that mechanical stats work completely differently(tho i really knew better!)

Comment

Working...
                    X