X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 seconds for water to dispense from GE refrigerator

Any ideas of why 10 seconds for water to arrive and pour into a glass from the cold water dispenser in our GE refrigerator?

Valve is at the bottom left front of the refrigerator.
    When dispensing water, we can hear the valve turn on and water and air gurgling in the line before it reaches the dispenser.

Athe bottom rear of the refrigerator side is a coil of plastic tubing in which the water is chilled.

Does newly arriving "warm" water in that coil contract as it cools, thereby allowing water in the long line above to recede?

Thank you.

Robert
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Re: 10 seconds for water to dispense from GE refrigerator

how is the flow/ volume when it does come out?

sounds like you have a leak in the line and it's refilling the lost water first.

better check for a leak

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

it's receding alright. better find the receder valve. breid...........

Comment

get a new solenoid valve, is leaking back. maybe because something is caught under the seat or the seat is damaged. easiest fix is replace, not worth a repair unless a replacement is not available which is doubtful.
        Is there an in-line filter upstream of the valve? this can go a long way to eliminate these type of failures.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
          it's receding alright. better find the receder valve. breid
          I already checked the receder valve. It's fine.
          So was the hose stretcher at my fire station.

No leaks anywhere, inside or under the refrigerator or athe plastic water coil inside the refrigerator compartment.
          Cylindrical screw-in filter is located athe top back of the refrigerator compartment.
          Flow is OK, so I assume the filter is not clogged. (Water tastes good - better than the tap water.)
          The first glass of water is never cold. Takes a while for the cold water to push the warm water ahead of it out. (Design defect)

I assume 50 psi water is stopped at the valve. So anything beyond the valve is just 5 feet head pressure.
          Can't imagine where water in the line is going. Can't bevaporation in that long small ID hard-plastic tube.

Called GE and the answer flunky had no idea.
          They have also discontinued the "Refreshment Compartment".

(We love this refrigerator with beverage compartment door.
          Hatch opens down becoming a work deck. Reach in and take out gallon of milk, etc. without opening the refrigerator door.
          Pour into glass sitting righthere on the deck and replace bottle in compartment. So convenient, quick, easy and energy-saving.)
          Last edited by Robert Gift; 12-28-2010, 04:09 PM.

Comment

the water dispenser switch controls the solenoid located at the bottom rear of the machine. anything after the solenoid is low pressure.

when you release the door dispenser switch, does water still continue after it's released? if not, then you have to account for the 10 second delay in delivery

the system is just a large coil of 1/4'' or 5/16'' od tubing that's rolled into a coil and gets cold in the fridge. the old days of a water reservoir storage tank are long gone. those were prone to algae growth.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              ...when you release the door dispenser switch, does water still continue after it's released? if not, then you have to account for the 10 second delay in delivery
              ...the old days of a water reservoir storage tank are long gone. those were prone to algae growth.
              rick.
              Thank you.
              Yes. For that reason I hate tanks. Always wondered how drinking fountain reservoirs avoid growths. Are they lead-lined!! to diminsh growth?

When the refrigerator solenoid valve closes, water immediately ceases pouring into the glass.

Does the newarm water entering the coil contract when it cools, like the red alcohol in a thermometer, allowing water in the tube to recede back down?

When I get home, I shall run water into a measuring cup for ten seconds to learn how much water is in the tube.

Th.isomewhat annoying having to wait 10 seconds for water and wait even longer for the cold water to arrive.
              Poor design, GE.
              Last edited by Robert Gift; 12-29-2010, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Is air some how being introduced to the system and your ice maker piping is the highest point in the system? Some ice maker lines here are ran through the attic making it the highest point in the system. If thats not the case then you have a leak between the outlet of the valve and the dispenser.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                  Is air some how being introduced to the system and your ice maker piping is the highest point in the system? Some ice maker lines here are ran through the attic making it the highest point in the system. If thats not the case then you have a leak between the outlet of the valve and the dispenser.
                  Thank you.
                  The water supply is from a stop, not saddle valve, just above the floor behind the refrigerator.
                  First I suspected a leak, but have never found any water, anywhere inside the refrigerator or outside.

Comment

Working...
                  X