X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leak in shower rough-in valve!

I've been renovating my bathroom over the holidays and on Tuesday I had installed the rough-in shower valve for the new shower/tub faucets.

Its a Delta Multi-fit rough in valve, exactly like this one (except the threads are on the outside of the valve):

I soldered all the joints and when I tested everything I had a pinhole leak in my joint at the bottom part of the valve (where the pipe runs down to the tub faucet)

When looking closer I could see that at the back of the joint there was a small gap in my solder about 2mm across where the water was coming from, so I tried my best to brush a little flux inside of it, and added more solder.

Since then I've turned the water on twice and left the pipes with water pressure in them for a couple hours and there hasn't been a leak.

I'm at the point now where I need to close up the wall to continue and I'm extremely nervous about the leak coming back. I feel like my fix can only be considered temporary and I'm looking for advice on how a plumber would have dealt with the leak.
    Last edited by tesrl; 12-31-2010, 12:00 AM.

Re: Leak in shower rough-in valve!

I suggest taking the joint back apart and cleaning everythiing well and starting over.

Comment

the wise thing is to pull it apart with the torch/ unsolder it and check it. see if the joint drew in the solder or just a cap. takes a minute to do it right and not have to worry about a future leak.

could have been not clean enough, poor flux, wrong heat, moisture, and skills.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
        I suggest taking the joint back apart and cleaning everythiing well and starting over.
        Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        the wise thing is to pull it apart with the torch/ unsolder it and check it. see if the joint drew in the solder or just a cap. takes a minute to do it right and not have to worry about a future leak.

could have been not clean enough, poor flux, wrong heat, moisture, and skills.

rick.
        Thanks, I'll take it apart tomorrow morning then. I considered trying that in the first place but I was a little worried that I wouldn't be able to get the valve clean enough to successfully redo it.

Do you have any tips on cleaning aside from using a wire brush, sand cloth and that outside cleaning wire brush?

Comment

what ever you like. you will need to buff it like tm says. parts should go together without being hammered to fit. breid...............

Comment

Working...
          X