X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cold water in shower

Just moved into house three years old and we are the first occupants. We have five bathrooms. In the one upstairs, we have discovered there is not hot water in the shower. Water in the sink basin is steaming. Water handle should rotate 270 degrees giving progressively hotter water. That is how the others in the house work. This one turns clockwise nearly a half turn, and then counter clockwise the same. Counterclockwise makes the water turn off nearly, but no hot water. It's as though the hot water side was not plumbed in.

I think the valve was installed incorrectly, but my gut also says it isn't right not to get any warm water. Is it also a plumbing issue?

Your suggestions would be appreciated. This is the only thing we have found wrong with this house so shoddy plumbing seems unlikely. I AM Stumped, please help.

PS All the ceilings are finished even in the basement so there are no exposed pipes that are easily inspected.
    Last edited by skocars; 12-31-2010, 06:04 AM.

Re: cold water in shower

What brand valve, bro? Could be the limit stop is out of position
    or the cartridge, or the handle. If it's identical to the others, pull
    the handles and compare what's different.

Comment

Just what Big Jim said you should be able to reset the temp without turning the water off in just a few minutes

Comment

if new call the contractor. it should work at least a day. breid......

Comment

I didn't think I knew the name of the valve until I took a picture of it and it shows the valve is a Moen. Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to attach the picture.

One responder said to ask the plumber who did the house. I bought the house from the bank and don't know who did the work. Is there a way to find this out? Would there be s sticker in the furnace room or something identifying the plumber, or is there a place I can get records of building permits or that kind of information?

I thank you all for your responses so far. It is so nice of you to take the time to respond to a stranger and in such a timely manner. HATS OFF TO YOU!!

Comment

Good ol' Moen Posi-Temp. So, did you get it figured out?
            Acrylic handle or metal lever? Did you find the two white,
            plastic rings behind the handle positioned just inside the
            chrome sleeve? If you need parts Moen will send
            to you free. 1-800-289-6636. In case they ask, you are the
            original owner. Could be a stuck cartridge piston if it's
            been sitting unused awhile.

Comment

I would suggest replacing the cartridge on that valve. I believe it is that or the temp limit stop. It is a common problem with valves that sit without use for long periods of time.

Comment

Re: cold water in shower, continued

By moving the one plastic fitting inside the metal handle, I think I got warm water for about 6 seconds. My fingers were numb so I wasn't sure.

Now I have decided to remove the cartridge. I removed the handle, the two white plastic thingies and the metal sleeve they fit into. Then I found a sort of key that you pull out of the top of the cartridge, I would describe it as a U shaped key. After removing it I was unable to get the cartridge out. Any advice or do's and dont's associated with this?

Comment

First, you need to have a new cartridge on hand. Water must be off.
                  Moen makes a cartridge puller to facilitate removal and I think
                  HD sells an after market one if not OEM.
                  Often the rubber seals will be stuck to the valve body or swollen
                  or they can roll up on you when you start pulling the cartridge.
                  It helps to try and twist the cartridge as you pull it. This is where the
                  puller comes in handy. The goal is to get it out in one piece...
                  easier said than done, sometimes. I've had to drill out a few.
                  If you do get it out, turn on the water for a few seconds to flush
                  out the valve, shine a light into the hole and make sure there is
                  no pieces of rubber stuck in the ports.

Comment

a picture will help. moen makes 2 types of pressure balance valves and depending on which one will dictate where the issue is.

does the valve have a large screwdriver port off center of the cartridge?

what size is the cartridge you're trying to pull? is it approx. 3/4'' or 1 1/4''? the large one has the balancing spool in the cartridge and the smaller one has the balancing spool off to the side under the large screwdriver slot.

the problem is typically a stuck piston due tolack of use, dirt or minerals in the balancing spool. a simple fix once you remove it. just make sure you turn off the water before you attempt to remove either cartridge.

once again a picture with the face plate off will determine what valve you have.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Thank you all for your ideas. I called Moen today and they are sending a new valve and a pulling tool with directions. I think I am on the right track thanks to all you. Loren

Comment

Attention to detail leaves no doubt that it is a Posi-temp.
                        You won't find a Moentrol in 3 yr. old house.
                        The valve is operated by turning the handle, not pulling it out.
                        The limit stop pieces he described are typical of a Posi-temp.

Comment

Working...
                        X