X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaks in fittings

Installed new electric water heater- Incoming line 3/4" PVC (cold water side) with 3/4" threaded male PVC fitting joined to 3/4" brass ball valve, followed by 3/4" galvanized 2" nipple, followed by 3/4" flexible water heater line with brass fittings. Used teflon tape on all threaded fittings. I have leaks at the galvanized nipple, and at the PVC male threaded fitting (and an extremely tiny, tiny bit at fitting going into the water heater). I have tightened until I can tighten no more and I still have a drip that slowly seeps at these joints. BE EASY WITH ME GUYS!! I am in school and living off financial aid and a part time job, so I can't afford a plumber. Any suggestions as to how I should remedy these leaks? I feel like this!!!

Re: Leaks in fittings

Originally posted by scraple View Post
    Installed new electric water heater- Incoming line 3/4" PVC (cold water side) with 3/4" threaded male PVC fitting joined to 3/4" brass ball valve, followed by 3/4" galvanized 2" nipple, followed by 3/4" flexible water heater line with brass fittings. Used teflon tape on all threaded fittings. I have leaks at the galvanized nipple, and at the PVC male threaded fitting (and an extremely tiny, tiny bit at fitting going into the water heater). I have tightened until I can tighten no more and I still have a drip that slowly seeps at these joints. BE EASY WITH ME GUYS!! I am in school and living off financial aid and a part time job, so I can't afford a plumber. Any suggestions as to how I should remedy these leaks? I feel like this!!!
    Wanna' bet who has been poorer? Me or you?

I think you should call a plumber.

J.C.

Comment

That ain't helpin' my headache!!! We could compare poor notes, but that might become embarrassing. Thanks for replying.

Comment

can you post a photo of your setup?

the plastic male adapter shouldn't require too much strength to tighten.

the brass to gal nipple requires a pipe wrench and a crescent wrench to properly tighten. also apply some pipe dope to the male threads along with the teflon. the flex connector uses a rubber washer to seal to the end of the nipple. the nut only draws it together. sometimes the washer is overtightened and other times it's the nipple that has cut into the washer.

pictures will help.

do good in school, otherwise you might end up being a plumber

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Wish I could post a photo!!! No more minutes on my phone....I really am pitiful!!! I thought about the pipe dope too..., that's why I posted, was hoping someone would bring it up so I'd know if I was on target with that thought or not. Also, I forgot to check the threads on the galvanized nipple to see if any were rough and might need to be filed a little. I didn't cross thread anything (I know, famous last words.. but I was very careful)!!! Trust me, when I graduate and start making $20 or so an hour, I will gladly call you guys. Laying in the dirt under my house with the cats (and the occasional possum), digging trenches, drilling pipe holes through the floor and trying to do a clean glue up is not my favorite thing to do. Thanks so much for your reply!!!

Comment

do what a pro would do. Tear it all apart, check the threads and then re-tape or re-dope and put it back together. How many wraps of tape you using and are you wrapping the right direction?
            sigpic

Comment

Rick your so nice helping people
              you rock

there may be a day where scraple can help one of us with a health problem or how to treat a burn or cut
              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

One of my kids just came by, their cell phones are NEVER out of minutes, so here is a picture.
                Attached Files

Comment

Now take a pic of the other line.

J.C.

Comment

looks like the plastic adapter is bottomed out in the ball valve. so you need more tape and some dope

the gal fitting looks like it needs more wheaties and some dope

and the flex connector is lead free thanks, california

my big concern is the pvc pipe you have for the cold water

is the hot also pvc or cpvc

thanks for the photo

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

The hot is CPVC, I didn't send a photo of it because thank God nothing is leaking on the hot side!! I am only having a problem with the cold side. OK, go ahead and laugh at me, but why is PVC pipe on the incoming cold a bad thing?

Comment

PVC?
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Take a picture of the hot. Took you two seconds for the cold. No reason not too.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                            PVC?

He's in SC, there's a whole lot of that stuff down there. Apparently the code is either amended or the inspectors don't care
                            sigpic

Comment

The hots not leaking. And it looks just like the cold except it's CPVC with no ball valve. And my photographer is taking a shower now.

Comment

Working...
                              X