X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not sure where to begin....

I'm trying to help my mom with a plumbing/tree problem and not sure where to start. Her neighbor has 2 or 3 pine trees growing along the property line, right next to where the sewer pipe presumably runs to the drain that is located in front of the neighbor's property. Based on the fact that the driveway slabs have shifted and cracked, the sewer line has probably been shredded by the tree's roots as well. The toilet doesn't flush very well and is constantly backing up. She has a lot of issues, this being one of them, with the trees and is in a disagreement with the neighbors about them. They like them and don't want to remove them but they are affecting my mom's property and ability to flush the toilet. I need to help her but I'm not sure how to approach it. I think I need someone to come video the line and find out what's going on in there, right? If the thing is shredded like I think it is, how much does a replacement cost usually? Should we repair and then deal with the tree issue or get the trees removed before repairing? This is in Redondo Beach. And where does one enter the sewer line to take video? Is at the drain/connection to the main sewer or from the house/property? I need help to understand what can of worms I'm about to get into! Help me RIDGID forum posters, you are my only hope!

Re: not sure where to begin....

Originally posted by badprncess View Post
    I'm trying to help my mom with a plumbing/tree problem and not sure where to start. Her neighbor has 2 or 3 pine trees growing along the property line, right next to where the sewer pipe presumably runs to the drain that is located in front of the neighbor's property. Based on the fact that the driveway slabs have shifted and cracked, the sewer line has probably been shredded by the tree's roots as well. The toilet doesn't flush very well and is constantly backing up. She has a lot of issues, this being one of them, with the trees and is in a disagreement with the neighbors about them. They like them and don't want to remove them but they are affecting my mom's property and ability to flush the toilet. I need to help her but I'm not sure how to approach it. I think I need someone to come video the line and find out what's going on in there, right? If the thing is shredded like I think it is, how much does a replacement cost usually? Should we repair and then deal with the tree issue or get the trees removed before repairing? This is in Redondo Beach. And where does one enter the sewer line to take video? Is at the drain/connection to the main sewer or from the house/property? I need help to understand what can of worms I'm about to get into! Help me RIDGID forum posters, you are my only hope!

Contact Robert at West Coast Plumbing

http://wcplumbing.biz/

Robert is a forum member here and has the equipment and knowledge to help your mom.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I recently did a follow up phone call on a sewer that I cleared and camera'd well over a year ago.The High priced,TV commercial plumber had tried to get her to replace her sewer at a cost of $5,000.00 after he could not get a snake through.

Her sewer is still working with no problems.

Comment

the camera will show the specific issues and also the location and depth of the line.

i think you'll need to contact your insurance co. and their insurance co to see who is going to pay for the inspection and possible damage.

it's a tricky situation when dealing with putting the blame and cost onto the neighbors.

if you expect them to pay or split the cost, you better work it out in advance. if not judge judy will

robert is around the corner from you. best bet is to get all your records together and see if there is a pattern to the stoppages. has it been cleaned on a regular basis? is there a proper access point/ cleanout? sometimes all the problem is the lack of a proper cleaning.

roots in a sewer line are very common. and typically easy to clean out. the issue comes when the roots have displaced the line to the degree where it still plugs up when the line is clean.

today there are many options to both cleaning and repairing the line. the camera and video will help to determine what options you have.

whoever does the camera inspection, make sure they supply you with a video, dvd, or a link to ridgid connect. an on line video hosting company designed and managed by ridgid

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Like Rick said, maybe you just need a proper drain cleaning. But a video inspection is going to be the first step in determining what the right course of action is.
          Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Originally posted by idlplumb View Post
            Like Rick said, maybe you just need a proper drain cleaning. But a video inspection is going to be the first step in determining what the right course of action is.
            another kissazz

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
              another kissazz
              Like Adam said, I'm just another "kissazz"
              Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Thank you all so much for your replies! I made an appointment with Robert to have a video inspection of the line. I will pay for that myself just to know what I'm getting in to. Hopefully a cleaning will do the trick! I'm hopeful. Thanks again!

Comment

Thank you all so much for your replies! I made an appointment with Robert to have a video inspection of the line. I will pay for that myself just to know what I'm getting in to. Hopefully a cleaning will do the trick! I'm hopeful. Thanks again!
                  Let us know how it goes.
                  He's a good plumber

I just like giving Robert a hard time

Comment

So here is an update for all you wonderful people: the. best. news. EVER. We videoed the line and it is perfectly free and clear, not a problem or stoppage or root in sight. It is a strange, old design in that it has 2 90-degree turns to the left, basically makes a big u-turn around the back and out to the street on the opposite side of the house. It's nowhere near those trees! The problem is that not enough water was being used to carry stuff down the line/line carry. She just has to double flush and that should fix it. Robert also made some repairs to the toilet tank and the inlet valve thingy and that seems to have improved matters greatly. So it is totally not the trees at all, although they have shifted the driveway slab and are a general nuisance with the pine needle droppings and sap, but knowing the sewer is not affected is the information I needed to formulate my approach with the neighbors. So a big THANK YOU to Robert at West Coast Plumbing and to all you wonderful people on the forum that helped me get in contact with him and make so much progress on this issue! Y'all Rock! The results were even better than my best case scenario going into this and I am so majorly happy. That's some of the best money I've ever spent. Yay!!!

Comment

So here is an update for all you wonderful people: the. best. news. EVER. We videoed the line and it is perfectly free and clear, not a problem or stoppage or root in sight. It is a strange, old design in that it has 2 90-degree turns to the left, basically makes a big u-turn around the back and out to the street on the opposite side of the house. It's nowhere near those trees! The problem is that not enough water was being used to carry stuff down the line/line carry. She just has to double flush and that should fix it. Robert also made some repairs to the toilet tank and the inlet valve thingy and that seems to have improved matters greatly. So it is totally not the trees at all, although they have shifted the driveway slab and are a general nuisance with the pine needle droppings and sap, but knowing the sewer is not affected is the information I needed to formulate my approach with the neighbors. So a big THANK YOU to Robert at West Coast Plumbing and to all you wonderful people on the forum that helped me get in contact with him and make so much progress on this issue! Y'all Rock! The results were even better than my best case scenario going into this and I am so majorly happy. That's some of the best money I've ever spent. Yay!!!
                      Sounds like a re- route from the old septic tank to new street lateral.Got a few out here.
                      How you wanna pay out the cut Bobby?

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                        Sounds like a re- route from the old septic tank to new street lateral.Got a few out here.
                        How you wanna pay out the cut Bobby?
                        Case of Fluidmasters.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                          Case of Fluidmasters.

J.C.
                          Whoa this kid's fast!!!

Comment

Thats so funny.

Thank you Mark for the referall. I had no clue the referall came from you, or this site.

I actually just read this thread, that is very funny.

This customer was very nice, and her mom was great. I look forward to having them as long term customers.

Thanks again.
                            sigpic

Robert

Comment

Working...
                            X