X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cottage - water line crossing creek - froze

Hi everyone - trying to determine the best next steps.

Cottage in western NY and the base of a mountain. Creek (about 8-12 ft lower than ground level) separates base of mountain from Cottage. Existing spring box located approx. 250ft up the mountain.

Recently purchased and learning more every visit. No history available from previos owner.

Although the creek bed is deep - the width is "jumpable" in narrow areas when there hasn't been rain or recent thaw.

Previous owner trenched from spring box (actualy a large platic container 80% buried in side of mountain collecting water from weepers above (all 4 inch irrigation tubing) down to creek, 1inch black PVC comes out of ground and connnects to valves at back of cottage (1 inch T (one line from gorund, 1 line to cottage, 1 line to drain cottage).

I've been able to see the 4 inch line they used to cross the creek at various times when the water is low and unforutuantely the line froze this past week and while trying to "fix it" I cracked the 4 inch pipe crossing the creek. I cut through it planning to replace the section I broke and realized they acutally fed a 1 inch PVC inside the 4 inch irrigation pipe.

I've had problems with the valves freezing and a 15 ft exposed pieces of pipe before it enter the cottage so I added an elextrical heat line and insulation (works ok but I usully have to take a torch to the lowest valve (th efirst valve in the system - ccottage side of the creek) to get things movign when I get there). I drain the lines everytime I leave.

The line crossing the creek is exposed for about 10-12ft and I would think that they may have buried it origianlly to prvent freezing but maybe with errosion and such?? not sure -- but it's exposed and would always have water in it.

Do I:

1. Give up on the sping box altogether and look into gettign a well drilled?
    2. Try to heat trace the line over the creek (possibly sumberged 30 percent of the year).
    3. dam up the creek a little to create a pool to try to keep pipe submerged in water 100% of the time?
    4. Put a submersible into the always flowing creek bed (creek couldn't keep up with pump during low season without some type of container

Thanks in advance.

Re: Cottage - water line crossing creek - froze

Do you plan to use this as a year round cottage?

if yes: Rental or home?
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Year round - we actually use it mostly in winter. Would love to rent eventually but there's just too much to take care of gettiing the water started and then properly drained (although I did install valves with appropriate coloured handles to make easy instructions in the future).

Comment

I would have a well drilled.

Comment

Keep in mind I am not a Plumber.

I am familiar with your area. Much like mine but a bit warmer.

Even below ground (depending on depth) a water line that is seldom used is sure to freeze.

IMO option 1 (assuming you want to randomly come to camp, have water, and easily winterize when you leave) is your best bet Provided the water line has proper depth.
          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Thanks - I'll get some pricing. We loved the idea of the Spring box but the water didn't pass inspection (e.coli) -- cottage was vacant for a year or 2 with no maintenance (spring box feed had fallen off too). Thought I had most issues resolved until this weekend -- and also noticed very low yield with the current feed -- I actually tunnelled a smaller feed 15 feet over to tryt to fill th econtainer up before we left (it had drained completely) -- and I has also assumed they used some type of pipe size reduction to increase water preassure (4 inch down the mountain, across the creek and then reducing to 1 inch underground before feeding cottage) -- I was surprised to see the 1 inch line inside the 4 (thought maybe it (the 1 inch) was some type of vent or possible a line as a spacer to allow some expansion if the outer pipe ever filled with water and froze). Had no pressure when I had to leave (spring box was still filling though) -- I patched the 1 inch across the creek for now (no way to also repair the 4 unless they make an acordion tpye of 4 inch agricultural to allow me the joing the inner before the outer . Regardless - both were frozen solid.

Comment

Just eating dinner now.
              I have more advice tomorrow if you tune in. Goodnight!

Comment

Working...
              X