Ankle deep in water and afraid of electrocution

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ankle deep in water and afraid of electrocution

The washer floods the little laundry room.

The room has the 3 fuse boxes in it plus all the electric lines of the house.
    All out in the open. The hose from the washer meets the PCV pipe approx. 4 feet off the concrete floor. The outlets the washer and dryer plug into is a foot under it. Every time I do laundry, the water gushes like a geyser. The water gets deep enough to wet the bottom of my jeans.

The home owners will not allow me to dig a trench and lay bigger pipe.

Nor will they allow me to make a hole in the wall and run the pipe that way.

I was told a couple years back. They had plumbers come in. The plumbers said the pipe was too small. Plus it must be redone and inserted into the septic tank. Where does it come out now? Somewhere out the mountain side. The owners wouldn't pay for the expense.

So the washer and dryer is in a tiny room with exposed wires, black mold growing on the walls, and lots of water. Did I mention 2 of the electric boxes are above where the water gushes out? I am so not impressed.
    How did this pass inspection?

Any thoughts, suggestions, opinions will be greatly welcomed and appreciated.

Thank you for your help.

Re: Ankle deep in water and afraid of electrocution

Can you clean the pipe out with a hand auger?
    Is there a floor drain which also needs cleaning? Otherwise, why is water getting ankle deep?

If electricity concern, can you cover thelectrical panels with garbage bags held in place by ductape to keep water off them?
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

If you don't like it quit bitching and move!

Comment

Thank you Sir.
        No, there is no floor drain. It is a solid concrete floor.
        Yes, we have tried a hand auger. Plus chemicals items such as drano, down the pipe.

The hose of the washer goes into the top of the PCV pipe. Thus with a full load of laundry. It gets pretty wet fast in there. Every time the washer rinses/drains. 2 cycles per wash. The water rises pretty quick.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckwheat View Post
          If you don't like it quit bitching and move!
          One. Politely asking for advice is not bitching. It is an inquiry.
          Two: We have no choice but to stay, at the moment.

Three: You are a rude a*** with no manners. You obviously were not raised right. Your mother , as well as you, need to be taken behind the wood shed and taught proper manners
          Go to Church! Learn Proper manners. Stop acting rude.
          Last edited by Mischiefboi; 01-04-2011, 07:36 AM.

Comment

well buckie that is one solution. another would be to just take the hose out of pipe and let it drain on floor, sound like it is going there anyway. if you do that do not let hose lay on floor. water will siphon out. hang hose on the outside of drain pipe. hey buckie how is that for a solution for a slumlord?...............boi. can you open door and let water run out side when doing laundry? you could even use a hose. could. breid..................

Comment

hey boi. ignore buckie. or better yet make fun of him. is buckie short for patel? breid...................

Comment

One of the great things about being a renter is that if you don't like where you are living or that if the Slummie won't fix things you simply move. If they can't rent it, it becomes a liability and maybe they will get off their butts and fix it for the next person. If you continue to tolerate it then nothing will get done. Read up on your states Landlord tennant laws. Notify the landlord in writing of the problem, if your state laws permit it deposit your rent into escro with the court until it is corrected. It is not your job to correct the problems with the LLs property, it is their job. It is a free world and there are laws to protect you as a tenant.

Comment

Gray water irrigation?

Is the restriction at the septic tank?

A 1-1/2-inch pipe should still take the output from the clothes washer.

Is this a regular clothes washer with big drain hose, or newer clothes washer with 1-inch drain hose to which you coulductape a garden hose and run the water outside?
                  (I'd like to use biodegradeable detergents and empty our clothes washer to water the back yard.)

Any room for a laundry tub in which the clothes washer could empty?
                  Then it drains as it can.
                  I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
                  It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
                  "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

if there is room have a laundry tub put in, I have seen plastic laundry tubs for under $40,
                    get it plumbed into the sewer line, (it is nice to have the water faucets to it but not necessary for this), dump into the laundry tub, and it will act as a reservoir and fill and then it can drain as it can,

many of the modern washers dump so fast that some of the smaller and longer drains can not take the flow,

my washer in the barn I dump into a sink, and the plumbing is fine, it is just that it would over whelm the drain for as fast as it can drain, it will fill the sink up about half way, and then it drain out nicely,

(the other punt method would be to set a 55 gallon plastic drum or sump drum to drain into and use a sump or lift pump to drain the water out, of the drum, one may have to take out a basement window to keep in your landlords do not touch the house policy, and exit out the window, and run the drain line into a dry well http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_well,
                    If you use the sump method, one would want to put a old led of pantie hose on the washer drain tube to catch lint and other, so it does not wind up on the impeller of the pump,
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by BHD; 01-04-2011, 09:22 AM.
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Totally agree with BHD. This works.

Also another thing to try.... this sounds a little hacky, but try it.

What you need to do is put a ball of duct tape around the washer pipe (midway of the "hook" portion of the pipe). your pipe is probably 1.5 " so u need to make it 1.5 or more...

then what you do is you push it into the drain so it acts like a plug behind the hose.

I saw this in a rental a long time ago and use it for last case senarios only. But sounds like your already there... Let me know how this turns out for you ?

Comment

Call your local board of health and ask for advice. They can advise you on all your options from dealing with the landlord to guidlines on grey water drainage. In the mean time dont flood the room and electrocute yourself.

Comment

To answer your question about "where does it go now?"... it actually make sense.

to understand that your septic system uses bacteria to eat away at the solids. New soaps that they use are ANTI bacteria.. in which kills the very thing u want in to sepic system. this is why in the olden days they did not put these into the septic.

Its common out in the country.

Mind you this is not correct , to code.. nada.

Sometime they use it was recycled water for out side watering.

Hope this helps.....

Comment

Thank you Everyone for your help and kindness. You are awesome people.
                            The advice given here has been very helpful. I do not have enough knowledge of the situation to look up what I need to on line or at the library.

A serious of events since I posted this, has been unexpected.

The pipe leading to the water heater broke in 3 places (after my inquiry)
                            Since the water had to be turned off. This also affect the apartment in back of the property. Where the son of owners stay.

A plumber was called last night by the owners

God love him. Like a trooper he fixed the broken pipe. He talked the owners into letting him expect the line.

Not only did he clean out the pipes. He found 2 outside that have collapsed. He shall re-place those plus clean out the septic tank. Within the next couple of days.

Again thank you. The advice received here has been the key to action and working plumbing

Comment

Working...
                            X