Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Residential Fire Sprinkler System Help?

Originally posted by bml View Post
    Here is a picture of a concealed sprinkler.

And you would think that a sheetrocker would have seen them a zillion times and not be asking if they even existed.

New laws in my area make it mandatory to add fire sprinklers to any new homes.

They also say they must be designed and installed by qualified personnel I bet. So forget the DIY residential sprinkler system, those belong outside in your lawn, and call a licensed sprinkler company.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Knezz View Post
      I will have smoke/heat sensors in every room and a heat sensor in the kitchen. They will be wired in series (4 wire to allow me to know which one went off, alarm keypad resetting and ease of troubleshooting faults). I live in a 120+ year old 3 story townhouse. All new construction regardless of it being an apt. or not are required to have sprinkler systems. I’m renovating and am not required.

I’m torn – the potential damage due to water has me worried.

I agree. Are there any internet resources I can review to have a better understanding of what to ask and verify that the group I choose has a clue? There are many internet resources out there but that doesn’t mean they are reputable in their theory.

I plan to have a sensor hooked up to my home alarm but a lot of water damage can be done in the 10 to 15 min it could take for the fire department to get on location.

I’m really, really reaching on this one!!! I know there are automatic water shutoff devices out there but am I just asking for trouble trying to have the water automatically shut off after a period of time after activation. As I’m typing I see the flaw in this theory but still want to get other opinions.

My reasons are for additional safety not insurance incentives.

Regards.

Forget the automatic water shutoff idea, like I said earlier, it's possible, but will cost a lot more than its worth in this situation.

http://www.homefiresprinkler.org/index.html

http://www.firesprinkler.org/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
        ... They also say they must be designed and installed by qualified personnel I bet. So forget the DIY residential sprinkler system, those belong outside in your lawn, and call a licensed sprinkler company.
        I presume the city has no inspectors in this area.

If I were to do this, I'd do it myself and be my own inspector.
        And/Or pay a professional to inspect or correct any design issues.

Best is keeping one's home clean and well maintained to prevent fires in the first place.
        Then havearly smoke detection with monitoring.
        In our garage I placed a spare battery-powered ionization smoke alarm and am planning to place a heat/photoelectric smoke detector in the garage.
        (The ionization smoke alarm may not activate in temperatures too low.)

In all but one fire I have been on, one could confront, "Why did you allow this to happen? Why did you set yourself up for a fire?"

The problem with a water shut off device is that a fire may grow after the water has shut off.
        I am surprised that monitoring of residential sprinklers is not required.

When Chicago Firefighters went on STRIKE, the number of fires in Chicago greatly dropped - proving thathey can be prevented.
        Last edited by Robert Gift; 01-05-2011, 10:46 AM.
        I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
        It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
        "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Can anyone point me to online resources that they feel are good? I want to read up so that when I reach out to a pro I will have some idea of how to hold a conversation on the matter.

Again - its not required as I will be doing remodeling but at least I contemplating having the piping done while the walls and ceilings are open. **Just thinking aloud**

Thanks all for the responses.
          Regards,
          K. Nezz

Comment

I would just do a Google search using "Residential Fire Sprinkler", you seem to a intelligent person, and should be able to sift the junk from quality info,

I ended up buying a copy of the NFPA 13: Standard for the Installation of Sprinkler Systems
            http://www.nfpa.org/aboutthecodes/Ab....asp?DocNum=13

NFPA 13D Standard for the Installation of Sprinkler Systems in One- and Two-Family Dwellings and Manufactured Homes
            http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...dallbooksearch

http://www.google.com/search?source=...5733a97aebfa72

here is a PDF guide,
            http://www.usfa.dhs.gov/downloads/pd...ons/fa-155.pdf

go to the manufactures web sites and look up there info,

do a little looking, and there is a good chance one may fine all you want, and even if it costs you a little, education is not usually free.

currently my copy of the code book is in storage as that room is soon to be worked on, so I can't even look through it to give you an idea of what it in it any more,
            Last edited by BHD; 01-06-2011, 01:41 AM.
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Can anyone point me to online resources that they feel are good? I want to read up so that when I reach out to a pro I will have some idea of how to hold a conversation on the matter.

Again - its not required as I will be doing remodeling but at least I contemplating having the piping done while the walls and ceilings are open. **Just thinking aloud**

I gave you two links in my last post.

Comment

Try Uponor. It's the most sensible system iv seen and I've benn designing sprinklers for 12 years.

http://uponor-usa.com/en/Header/Syst.../Overview.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by Wafflefryer View Post
                  Try Uponor. It's the most sensible system iv seen and I've benn designing sprinklers for 12 years.

http://uponor-usa.com/en/Header/Syst.../Overview.aspx

*I've

sheesh

Comment

I also have at my home and i feel too safe.
                    Fire Pump Services | Portable Fire Extinguisher Sales

Comment

I'd get a Sprinkler Contractor or engineer to do the water calculations first and determine what you actually need and what your water service can deliver.
                      If you have a Uponor/Wirsbo Rep in your area talk to him about their systems. The company does the calc's and drawings for a multi-purpose systems.
                      Uponor - Fire Safety Systems

Great minds sometimes travel the same path!!!!
                      Last edited by ArizonaPlumber; 12-15-2012, 11:21 PM. Reason: Great minds!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X