X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convert Three Handle tub/shower to a Single

Is it possible to change the three handle shower/tub control to a single one just by cutting the part of the tile that will be covered by the trim remodelplate? Can the valve be changed from the inside of the bathroom without cutting out the whole in the back of the shower wall (hallway in my case)?

Tahnk you.

Re: Convert Three Handle tub/shower to a Single

Yes it can...the remodelers plate should come with a template to cut open the face of the wall...from there you cut loose the old plumbing and replumb in the new valve....then set all your trim. Do it all the time...of course thats my job!
    Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
    You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Thank you. One plumber said that he will have to open up the wall behind and the other said he can do it from the bathroom side so I was a little confused. It is not something that we would want to attempt ourselves so we definately need to hire someone.
      The quote seemed higher than what I expected. The higher quote was from the guy that would not open up the wall behind - he actually came to the house to look at it. The other quote was over the phone with just a price range.
      I priced the valve and all the trim already so that is what I'm using as my starting point to see how much labor would be. The prices included all the hardware which I'm sure they can get cheaper than I can. After subtructing the cost of hardware that I can buy (same brand and style as plumber's) the labor would be between $350 - $450 not counting any markup they might make on hardware. Does that seem reasonable for that kind of a job? Maybe I'm unreasonable thinking that it should be less?
      Last edited by skeylargo; 01-04-2011, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Also, would the pricing be different for copper or PVC? My pipes are all copper (older house).

Comment

Thats unfair of me to answer as the cost of doing business is going to be different from your area to my area...what I can tell you is that it will probably take about 1 1/2 to 2 hours to do the job on average not including any drive times to supply house or your house (which may or may not be applicable)...hope this helps...

Derek

Comment

Yes, that helps a LOT! Thank you again.
            The higher priced plumber lives in my neighborhood and the other one is in town not far from me as well. Knowing the amount of time it might/should take helps. I know the plumbers need to charge decent hourly rate to stay in business and cover all the cost but $200/hr seems high even in NJ.
            Last edited by skeylargo; 01-04-2011, 03:51 PM.

Comment

sure

1 1/2 to 2 hrs is a minimum. depends what is in the wall. "maybe" we have more hacks here. $350.00 to $450.00 is that an exact not an estimate? disallow the phone bid. he didn't quote your job. he doesn't want to do what you want. call others to get prices until you get one you like. lol. breid..................

Comment

when i replace a shower valve from a three handle to a one handle , and i have to go thru the tile , i use what is called a smitty plate ( i think u refered it as a remodel plate... same is same).

its not the greatest looking in my opinion... but it gets the job done. i use them alot for rentals people not wanting to repair the valve for cheap.

Now as for price... I agree with bried... it depends whats in the wall, but i would think that 350 to 450 would be a fair price... mind you i do live in California, where everything is more. wouldnt know price there.. sorry.

hope this helps...

Comment

Not sure what you mean what is in the wall. I know I have all copper piping.
                  I guess the look might not be that great since the plate needs to be pretty big but the Moen remodel plate although looks big does not look that ugly. What would be another option to change it - re-tile the shower, right? Too big of a project for me to undertake right now.

$350 - $450 would be just an approximate labor price. One guy gave me an exact price for everything including valve and trim. With Moen PosiTemp valve he told me $700 (supposedly he gave me $100 discount) and with Moen Montreal valve would be additional $100 for total of $800(although when I priced it the difference in parts with two diff valves/trim was only about $50). The trim would be Moen Monticello regardless which valve and corresponding trim I use.

Comment

You Know copper is in the wall .. But how much wood is in the way is the unknown ..I had 2 real slow replacements just last week

Comment

Re: sure

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
                      1 1/2 to 2 hrs is a minimum. depends what is in the wall. "maybe" we have more hacks here. $350.00 to $450.00 is that an exact not an estimate? disallow the phone bid. he didn't quote your job. he doesn't want to do what you want. call others to get prices until you get one you like. lol. breid..................
                      Whoa....was that hacks comment at me? Cause I have been called a lot of things but not sure that hack is on the list...lol

Derek

Comment

dc

no no. remark was about what you find in wall. a lot of plumbing work around here is done by carpenters. guess how that turns out. breid.....................

Comment

A 3 handle faucet with copper supplies to it

How do you know all the piping is copper?

How old is the house?

In Chicago, copper wasn't used widespread until about 1975. That's not that old. Some houses have copper horizontal lines (in the basement) and even risers, but unless the bathroom has been remodeled by you as the owner and you saw copper behind the wall, I wouldn't be so sure that it's copper.

Usually it will be galvanized steel piping behind the wall, especially if there is a 3-handle tub/shower faucet installed. Single handle faucets have been the norm for over 20 years.

If it is galvanized piping, I can see why the one guy would want to open up the wall on the other side. Turning wrenches/holding back in a tight spot is tough, and risks damaging the tile.

I dare say that PVC would not be code for water in NJ. CPVC maybe, but not PVC.

Just my $0.02 before taxes.

I would ask any plumber how he did a similar project in your area.

My guess is a job like that would be somewhere between $350 and $550 depending on difficulty and type of piping involved, and how much has to be changed.

Comment

Re: dc

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
                            no no. remark was about what you find in wall. a lot of plumbing work around here is done by carpenters. guess how that turns out. breid.....................
                            Its all cool...probably turns out the same way when handymen do it

Derek

Comment

I thought I posted a reply but it seems to be missing :-)

Thank you all for your input and your help. I understand everything better now and have to decide if I want to spend the money now or save up for a majoir remodel.

The house is over 30 yrs and when we re-modeled the other bathroom there was copper everywhere so I'm pretty sure that is the case in this bathroom.

As far as the wood in the wall, I'm more worried that there might not be enough wood in the wall. In the other bathroom the pipe from the valve to the shower head was not attached to ANYTHING!

My house was build by a lot of "hacks" and we bought it from a a DIY owner who "thought" he was a handyman. I think of him often but not with much fondness. lol

Comment

Working...
                              X