Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Woman's front-load clothers washer moves.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Woman's front-load clothers washer moves.

We have Kenmore W.D. Dryer No heat.I Learned a lot on the net from a pro. A pair of $20.00 magnets on the gas solenoid fixed it.
    Also electrolux makes our sears washer. The Tech said "Machines that went 7 Years ,years now go 3 to 5 years. Sears is making junk.
    L.G. NEXT TIME
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Thank you.
      Some loads are perfectly smooth.
      Other times the clothes are not evenly distributed and cause the vibration and shaking and walking across the floor.

I suggested removing the pedestals and placing a countertop over the washer and dryer.
      But, as Pipes said, she likes the height and the storage.

I will try silcone-gluing the rubber footblocks to the floor.
      (At least I can remove the silicone glue if she does not like it.)
      Then strapping and bolting the clothes washer to the dryer. (That will be fun to figure out and do.)
      (I'd rather fasten the washer to the floor with bolts coming up from underneath. Would already have tried but don't know how to drill through ceramic? floor tiles.)
      Last edited by Robert Gift; 01-07-2011, 09:16 AM.
      I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
      It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
      "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

do what the Southern Boys do. Plant a small block Chevy on each .
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

This is a common complaint with all the front-load machines. The problem is that they have high rotational drum speeds and, because the drum is horizontal, the imbalance forces act in a plane that is perpedicular to the floor. The older style top loader type machines spin slower, and the imbalance forces act in a plane that is parallel to the floor.

The rubber vibration isolator block have a reputation for not being very effective.

Often the problem isn't the machine, or the floor. It's the machine AND the floor. As the machine rotates, the imbalance of the load creates a vibration at a certain frequency. Without getting too esoteric, the stiffness of the floor, the mass of the floor, and the mass of the washer/dryer all create a system that responds to particular frequencies of vibration. If one of these frequencies happen to be fairly close to the spinning frequency of the drum, you get a resonance condition. The result is a lot of motion and the washer hops across the floor.

If this is the problem, you have to change the frequencies that the floor responds to OR you have to change the frequencies generated by the washing machine. You can't re-engineer the washer, so that leaves the floor.

It's not easy to change the dynamic response of the floor enough to help. If you can get into the crawl space, the best approach is to see if you can add a pier block or two or three, some 4x4 posts and new floor joists right under the machine. If this isn't possible, you can try to add a lot of framing structure under the subfloor to try to stiffen up the floor. But this will have much less effect on the vibration than adding supports (pier blocks). It isn't easy to stiffen the floor up enough to help without piers.

Theoretically, if you could add several hundred pounds of weight to the floor without stiffening it, this might well also solve the problem very effectively. But this tends to be difficult and impractical.

The reason some washer loads run smooth is because sometimes the clothes distibute themselves in the drum in a more balanced way, and thus generate less vibration amplitude (the frequency will be the same, since it's related to the spinning speed of the drum). Sometimes though, you get a more imbalanced load and then the problem will be worse.

The manufacturers have improved the suspensions on the drums. A concrete slab is always going to be best, and in the past some makers did recommend this. But obviously if you don't live in a slab home then you won't have that. The improved suspensions do a better job of isolating the vibrations of the drum, but it is not possible to account for the widely differing response of every possible floor. No brand is immune, but some have better suspension designs than others. Levelling the machine is very important with front loaders.

BTW, for those that care about such things:

Bosch washers and dryers are actually made in the USA.

Whirlpool dryers are USA, while their washers are now made in Germany or Mexico depending on model. Your matching set will come from two countries.

Electrolux is made in Mexico (all models, I believe).

Maytag is owned now by Whirlpool, and I believe the washers and dryers are USA-made.

High end Sears Kenmore used to be Whirlpool, but now they're re-labeled LG machines from Korea. The lower end Kenmore machines are GE (don't know where they're made).

Samsung and LG are both Korean. They tend to be the highest priced, comparable or more than Bosch (although Bosch machines tend to be smaller capacity).

Comment

Robert, I would not try ANY of your suggested fixes below, they will not work.

Andy's post is right on the mark in explaining the root cause of the problem, and his suggested fixes are reasonable too since as he said it's pretty much impossible for us to re-engineer the washer itself.

Load imbalance is probably the biggest contributor to this condition. Educating the user about it and how to deal with it is the best fix. Treat the cause not the symptoms.

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
            Thank you.
            Some loads are perfectly smooth.
            Other times the clothes are not evenly distributed and cause the vibration and shaking and walking across the floor.

I suggested removing the pedestals and placing a countertop over the washer and dryer.
            But, as Pipes said, she likes the height and the storage.

I will try silcone-gluing the rubber footblocks to the floor.
            (At least I can remove the silicone glue if she does not like it.)
            Then strapping and bolting the clothes washer to the dryer. (That will be fun to figure out and do.)
            (I'd rather fasten the washer to the floor with bolts coming up from underneath. Would already have tried but don't know how to drill through ceramic? floor tiles.)
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

From the service pros. Don't load front loaders over 1/2 full. Bearings and spiders will fail. Also use liquid for HE Machines, powder will kill them!

Aside from perhaps not getting your clothes clean due to a less agressive wash compared to upside machines, by what mechanism will "powder kill" the machne?

(reduce sudsing with powder by using less...been doing this for 5 years now with no problems..most people use too much detergent to begin with....which the companies LOVE)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                ...Load imbalance is probably the biggest contributor to this condition. Educating the user about it and how to deal with it is the best fix. Treat the cause not the symptoms.
                I tried redistributing her clothes. Did no good.
                I wish there were a way that it could redistribute the load on its own.
                In a top load, most often the clothespread out evenly in the water before it begins to spin and drain.
                Here, it is just a matter of how they fall and spead out.
                Sometimes it is fine with no vibration.

Her washer is very interesting. No belts. Interesting "flat" motor directly coupled to the drum.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
                  ... the best approach is to see if you can add a pier block or two or three, some 4x4 posts and new floor joists right under the machine. If this isn't possible, you can try to add a lot of framing structure under the subfloor to try to stiffen up the floor. But this will have much less effect on the vibration than adding supports (pier blocks). It isn't easy to stiffen the floor up enough to help without piers.

Theoretically, if you could add several hundred pounds of weight to the floor without stiffening it, this might well also solve the problem very effectively. But this tends to be difficult and impractical.
                  A concrete slab is always going to be best, and in the past some makers did recommend this. But obviously if you don't live in a slab home then you won't have that. ...
                  Since the washer is in the corner, its back against an exterior wall on the foundation, and left wall on a foundation, I pushed it more to the north and left so less floor flexion.
                  I told her that I should pour a pad and extend cross-braced 6x6 inch posts to the washer legs. (Cut out four holes in the floor to allow the posts to pass through and isolate the vibration from the house!)

Would a water-filled tank attached beneathe floor dampen vibration without allowing resonant frequency?
                  Last edited by Robert Gift; 01-08-2011, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Have you tried to call there 800 number and see if they have any suggestions, or at least file a formal complaint,

here is a start of a search on google on "LG front load moving",
                    http://www.google.com/search?q=LG+fr...604fccaf7f7afe
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Since the washer is in the corner, its back against an exterior wall on the foundation, and left wall on a foundation, I pushed it more to the north and left so less floor flexion.
                      I told her that I should pour a pad and extend cross-braced 6x6 inch posts to the washer legs. (Cut out four holes in the floor to allow the posts to pass through and isolate the vibration from the house!)

Would a water-filled tank attached beneathe floor dampen vibration without allowing resonant frequency?
                      You won't be able to dampen with the water, but the mass might lower the response frequency of the floor a little. Will it be enough? I doubt it, but it's impossible to tell by remote control.

Pouring concrete underneath to support the floor would be good, it's the same idea as the pier blocks. I wouldn't cut out the floor for isolation... that's done in factories for mounting certain types of machine tools such as presses, but it's getting pretty extreme for a washing machine.

Before doing anything like pouring concrete or trussing up the floor, it would think it a good idea to make sure that there is no problem with the washing machine. If it's under warranty you should be able to get a service guy out there to check it out. Would be a shame to do a ton of work on the floor only to discover that the machine had a broken suspension.
                      Last edited by Andy_M; 01-08-2011, 11:55 AM.

Comment

I tried redistributing her clothes. Did no good.
                        I wish there were a way that it could redistribute the load on its own.
                        In a top load, most often the clothespread out evenly in the water before it begins to spin and drain.
                        Here, it is just a matter of how they fall and spead out.
                        Sometimes it is fine with no vibration.

Her washer is very interesting. No belts. Interesting "flat" motor directly coupled to the drum.

You are right, I forgot this is a front load so redistributing the clothes is not of much help if even possible. my bad.
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                        X