Is "HE" laundry detergent a scam?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is "HE" laundry detergent a scam?

Other than higher cost, is there any difference from regular detergent?
    Thank you.
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Re: Is "HE" laundry detergent a scam?

it's a more concentrated soap that you use less and it suds up less than standard soap.

the majority o fthe new machines require he soap.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Plumber Rick is correct.
      The newer washing machines will malfunction if you have
      suds..lots of suds!!!

The new "HE" designed detergents have been specifically designed to
      produce minimal suds. This is because the new washers use so little water and suds will screw up the various sensors etc.

In the old days we even had phosphates in the detergent to help clean our dirt and grime..The tree huggers made us remove them...
      By the way dishwasher soap [some brands] still have phosphates so if you have really dirty whites toss in a cup with the laundry soap.

By the way..the new washers prefer liquid soap to powder....

Finally for those of us with septic systems....

Beware the lint in the wash water is not caught! it swirls around in the dirty soapy water and rinse water...The soaps keep the lint from retuning to the clothes... But it also goes down the drain into your septic system and this stuff.."LINT" is nasty stuff!!!

Lint can clog your leach fields drain line holes etc!!!! and cause
      expensive repairs!!!

I strongly suggest the FILTROL 160
      I believe Spectic Systems sells them
      [I have no monetary connection with the company]

The Filtrol 160 hooks in line between your drain hose and drain. Inside is a fine mesh filter that captures the gook!
      After you do a run of bath towels etc. and clean the filter you'll
      realize what I'm telling you.

For you cheap bastards and if you have a utility sink near the wash machine, grab a pair of panty hose and use them to filter the drain water...

My home the washer water goes straight into a drain pipe so I have the in line system!

The lint is also covered in detergent residue and sometimes is oily.
      When it drys it's like plaster. Even when wet it is gooey! Using fabric softener also gooks up the lint even more!

In the "older" washing machines there was a lint filter on the agitator ring. the water would pour through it and thus capture the lint and you were able to discard it.

I believe a few front loaders have some sort of lint/debris filter but it is mounted at the base of the washer and may not be user friendly.

Cactus Man

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post

For you cheap bastards and if you have a utility sink near the wash machine, grab a pair of panty hose and use them to filter the drain water...

Cactus Man

I'm proud to say I'm one of the "cheap bastards". I recommend to my customers who have laundry tubs to use pantyhose or nylon stockings. The mesh is fine and durable so works very well. Even if it's not pretty.
        Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Let me ask the wife when she comes back from the creek with the washboard and the laundry.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
            Let me ask the wife when she comes back from the creek with the washboard and the laundry.
            Just hope she isn't carrying the rolling pin.

Comment

When I started to repair My own W+ DRYER, I started learning from the pros on the net. If Your machine is suppose to use HE , You'd be a fool not to!
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

when I bought a new washer and started using the HE soap I use less soap and saved money.
                Rod
                MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                http://unclognh.com
                http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

HE detergent is considerably different than regular. You can use HE in a regular machine but you can't use regular in a machine that needs HE. The basics of how a modern high efficiency machine work are much different. You have much less water, and a much more concentrated water/detergent solution.

One thing that should be noted is that many if not most front load washers have an issue in that they tend to develop a serious mildew smell. This is almost always due to an accumulation of soap residue in the folds of the gasket that seals the door. You get mold growth in there... dark, moist and a food supply (soap residue). Some of the newer machines have seals that have improved drainage to help this, but on all machines you SHOULD make it a point to wipe out the seal after every use and keep the door cracked to let it dry completely. Using non-HE detergent, which creates a lot more suds, leaves much more residue and thus makes the mildew stink problem much worse.

I've personally run comparative testing on these machines because honestly, I was quite convinced that you could not clean really dirty clothes with the tiny amount of water used in a front loader. Most of my laundry has "office" dirt on it... in other words, the occasional spot of coffee, tiny bit of laser toner powder on the cuff, and still smell like aftershave. But on the weekends, well, my fun activities in the garage, yard and under the *()*& house result in some truly disgusting work clothes. The result of the testing was so convincing that my (perfectly good) top load washer is gone, replaced with a front loader. In which I run HE exclusively.

Comment

Working...
                  X