Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Replacing orangeburg piping

Originally posted by Chemeng View Post
    Hi Master,
    I'm not a plumber... So the run from the house is how deep? (looks like just a few feet, so you must be in a warm climate). Then it goes to what looks like a Y with a clean out on top? How deep is the Y? then goes to under the road....How deep do you think the road sewer is?

(I recently did a job near Toronto where the road sewer is 16ft-17ft and the run to the house is no shallower than 8ft-9 ft deep- house has a basement as do 99% of houses in Canadian large cities)
    My connection to the sewer system was about 7-8' deep. I opened the manhole in the street and the street main was about 12' deep.

The sewer from the house connects to a combination and yes a cleanout extends to grade.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
      My connection to the sewer system was about 7-8' deep. I opened the manhole in the street and the street main was about 12' deep.

The sewer from the house connects to a combination and yes a cleanout extends to grade.
      I assume you use shoring when below 5'.

Comment

You need an A license Here to dig in the street, I'm told. Is this typical? Too bad My Extendahoe has a 19 ft reach
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
          I assume you use shoring when below 5'.
          No I dont use any shoring. I like living on the wild side. Ever see a free climber or whatever its called.......no safety harness and guys climb up buildings?

Comment

how about just putting double cleanouts about 5' outside the back wall that way it can be cleaned a lot easier?
            i personally see no reason to install a cleanout at the street if you dont have cleanouts at the house anyway.
            i dont use shoring in my trenches either,just nice wide stepped walls.
            shoring is only required if i send an employee into a trench.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
              No I dont use any shoring. I like living on the wild side.
              I will admit that the chances of an OSHA inspector showing up while you're down in a trench are from very slim to non existent. However, if you or anyone else were to be injured by a collapsing trench of your creation that wasn't properly protected, you'd be exposed to fines, possible litigation or even jail time.

Comment

I will admit that the chances of an OSHA inspector showing up while you're down in a trench are from very slim to non existent. However, if you or anyone else were to be injured by a collapsing trench of your creation that wasn't properly protected, you'd be exposed to fines, possible litigation or even jail time.

Remember OSHA is about what you expose your employees to not yourself. That said my brother in law had a helper in a ditch with a cave in and it wasn't fun for anyone.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

The local inspectors will put a stop work order on your job if they see you have a trench with out the proper shoring.

As for OSHA, I know a plumber that was rodding a main sewer and the line was not opening up with 110' of cable in the line. So he had his helper run the rod while he went outside to listen in the city sewer to see if he can hear if he reached the city sewer. As he stuck his head maybe an inch below the frame to listen closer, an OSHA inspector just happened to be right across the street watching him. The OSHA guy came over and wrote up a fine for the plumber broke the plain while trying to listen in the manhole.
                  Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                  A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                  Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                  Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

They will catch you around here, sooner or later.
                    They busted my Buddy without anyone even being in the trench at the time, but foot prints, hand tools, and the work preformed made it pretty obvious someone was in that hole with no evidence of the trench box, that was 400' down the road, ever being used.
                    Owners where not happy with him as this was the second time he got caught and the 3rd for the company.
                    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                      Remember OSHA is about what you expose your employees to not yourself. That said my brother in law had a helper in a ditch with a cave in and it wasn't fun for anyone. Mark
                      True. But OSHA might be called out to inspect your collapsed trench and though they wouldn't fine you for hurting yourself, I'll bet they would write you up for other infractions, like lack of third party protection such as trench plating.

Comment

True. But OSHA might be called out to inspect your collapsed trench and though they wouldn't fine you for hurting yourself, I'll bet they would write you up for other infractions, like lack of third party protection such as trench plating.
                        And I bet I wouldn't pay it.

Comment

Again OSHA rules do not apply to owners doing the work .
                          As an owner I can use an extension cord with a broken ground in a foot of water if I chose and the only thing OSHA could do is call me a dumb azz.

OSHA is to protect the worker from being forced to do such foolish things.
                          As a worker I willingly put myself in the hole with no box many times, with no pressure from higher ups in any way but OSHA has no way of knowing that so the company would get the fine.
                          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                            The local inspectors will put a stop work order on your job if they see you have a trench with out the proper shoring.

As for OSHA, I know a plumber that was rodding a main sewer and the line was not opening up with 110' of cable in the line. So he had his helper run the rod while he went outside to listen in the city sewer to see if he can hear if he reached the city sewer. As he stuck his head maybe an inch below the frame to listen closer, an OSHA inspector just happened to be right across the street watching him. The OSHA guy came over and wrote up a fine for the plumber broke the plain while trying to listen in the manhole.
                            Can You explain the violation ? I have seen many posts of Drainers entering City manholes. Were they in violation no matter what state or area ?
                            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                              Can You explain the violation? I have seen many posts of Drainers entering City manholes. Were they in violationno matter what state or area ?
                              If you enter a manhole or break the plane with your head where the gasses in the manhole can overwhelm you you are in violation with the confined space entry. So yes the others are in violation if they entered the manhole with out the proper confined space gear.
                              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                                If you enter a manhole or break the plane with your head where the gasses in the manhole can overwhelm you you are in violation with the confined space entry. So yes the others are in violation if they entered the manhole with out the proper confined space gear.
                                Not just your head but ANY part of your body even your toe.

Also it's confined space entry 'permit required' due to the always present risk of emulsion.

Comment

Working...
                                X