X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing orangeburg piping

Hello, yesterday a plumber had to come out, because we had inches of water in our bathroom, and all drains were clogged. A plumber came out, was going to run the camera to find out where the problem was, but couldn't get camera through. He said there was root intrusion (we have one big tree in back and one big tree in front.) Pipes are in the back. He ran "roof vent cable" to 75', he basically told us it was a temporary fix, at best. Gave us an estimate to replace approx 60' of sewer with sch 40 pvc, and c/o each end, including city permit, for $3485.I thought that was high, until looking on here, maybe its not so much. I was wondering though. If I have my sons do all the digging, do you think that would save us some of the money? If they dug from the main tee, to the back, exposing the piping, so they could just come in and replace it, what do yall think? A little background, the house was built in 1956, in Florida. We moved in in early 70s, and have never replaced the back piping. We did replace the front, but not the back... We are trying to keep the price down as low as possible, as I am disabled and on a fixed income.

Re: Replacing orangeburg piping

Hi. I say if your plumbing cont. is willing to work with you, go for it. Just need to be aware of soil conditions when digging.

Comment

How was determined to be Orangeburg?

Also, just to make sure we are on the same page.

Orangeburg= Black pipe, basically its cardboard and tar.

Clay pipe= often mistakenly called orangeburg because of its orange color.
      It is made of clay and resembles a terracotta pot.
      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Hi, I'm not sure how the plumber knew, I assumed he saw it somehow. My mother, who's house it is, always thought it was terra cotta pipes because of the color,but this plumber told us it was not. That's a good question, I just assumed he knew. He wrote on the invoice "camera showed line is segmented just past test tee, then appears to change to orangeburg..." then went on to talk about the root intrusion so he couldn't go any further past 10 feet. That was when he did something to somewhat clear it for a very short term fix.

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
        How was determined to be Orangeburg?

Also, just to make sure we are on the same page.

Orangeburg= Black pipe, basically its cardboard and tar.

Clay pipe= often mistakenly called orangeburg because of its orange color.
        It is made of clay and resembles a terracotta pot.

Comment

Digging it your self will more than likely keep the cost down for you. But you have to make sure it is a task your willing to take on. The depth of the pipe and the soil type are unknown so it could take you forever to dig it up.
          Plumbing Solutions, LLC
          Plumber in S.C.

Comment

I am Leary of dig ups. Too much money to be made.

So no one witnessed him video the line?
            Did he provide you with a dvd/vhs copy?

Was the line camed at all after he got it clear?

Is this a national Franchise company?

Root intrusion alone should not be a valid reason to dig a line.
            roots should be easily removed so a proper inspection can be done.
            Perhaps the line has more issues, but something smells fishy.
            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

If I determaned a line needs to be dug, I charge the same price if someone else digs the hole or if I do.
              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Hello, no one saw him, you are right. He didn't provide us with a copy of the tape, he said he couldn't get the camera to show anything past 10 feet. He didn't do anything when clear, he just told us that he got it working temporarily and that we need to replace. I do think the lines may need to be replaced, it has been over 50 years. But you've made us think now, after we paid $300 just for him to clear the line temporarily, no pics, no tapes, no guarantees, it really makes me wonder. He said there was too many roots to get a clear picture. So I think we will look into this further before just taking his word and word and paying all that money. And I am not sure if it is a national franchise company. It is a licensed company, that's all I know. I'll look into that as well. Thanks so much for your input though.

I am Leary of dig ups. Too much money to be made.

So no one witnessed him video the line?
                Did he provide you with a dvd/vhs copy?

Was the line camed at all after he got it clear?

Is this a national Franchise company?

Root intrusion alone should not be a valid reason to dig a line.
                roots should be easily removed so a proper inspection can be done.
                Perhaps the line has more issues, but something smells fishy.

Comment

I'm guessing on average I snake and camera about 15 sewer lines a year that other companies have said need to be replaced.

Of those 15 only 1 truly NEEDS to be replaced.
                  Sometimes it's lack of skill/knowledge/proper tools and other times it's just some one pulling a fast one trying to make a quick buck.

It always amazes me that more people don't seek a second opinion when it comes to spending that kind of money.

Your guy my be totally legit and you may in fact need a new line, but some of the things you have mentioned make me wonder???

It might be a waste of money having someone else camera the line (with either someone watching and the tech explaining whats going on, or getting a copy of the inspection that you can watch), or you might end up saving $3000.

Comment

Very good point! Thank you very, very much. I'm glad I found this site, and your input is most appreciated. I will be sure and take your advice about having the camera run through again, instead of just accepting this plumbers word and getting the pipes replaced on his say so alone.
                    Thanks to all who answered my questions.
                    Patti

I'm guessing on average I snake and camera about 15 sewer lines a year that other companies have said need to be replaced.

Of those 15 only 1 truly NEEDS to be replaced.
                    Sometimes it's lack of skill/knowledge/proper tools and other times it's just some one pulling a fast one trying to make a quick buck.

It always amazes me that more people don't seek a second opinion when it comes to spending that kind of money.

Your guy my be totally legit and you may in fact need a new line, but some of the things you have mentioned make me wonder???

It might be a waste of money having someone else camera the line (with either someone watching and the tech explaining whats going on, or getting a copy of the inspection that you can watch), or you might end up saving $3000.

Comment

At the very least get some other estimates on replacing the line....and then go from there....and with those estimates ask about if you dig if there is a price difference...if you are capable to dig that is....
                      Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                      You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by Pattib View Post
                        ... If I have my sons do all the digging, do you think that would save us some of the money? If they dug from the main tee, to the back, exposing the piping, so they could just come in and replace it, what do yall think? ...
                        Do it ALL yourself and payour sons!
                        A friend and I dug down to his pipe and replaced it.
                        Get a permit and inspector to tell you how it must be done.
                        It MUST be done correctly - no jury-rigging or cheating.
                        Saved my friend a fortune whiche could not have afforded.
                        Gave us both lot of exercise.

You must do it safely and shore up any walls if over 4? feet deep.
                        I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
                        It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
                        "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

$3485.00 is extremely reasonable IMO.

But if you dig the hole yourself, I'm sure you will save some money.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
                            Do it ALL yourself and payour sons!
                            A friend and I dug down to his pipe and replaced it.
                            Get a permit and inspector to tell you how it must be done.
                            It MUST be done correctly - no jury-rigging or cheating.
                            Saved my friend a fortune whiche could not have afforded.
                            Gave us both lot of exercise.

You must do it safely and shore up any walls if over 4? feet deep.
                            You have heard of deep sea divers? I'm a deep trench plumber and it pays great but its dangerous

Last edited by TheMaster; 01-08-2011, 12:33 AM.

Comment

Hi Master,
                              I'm not a plumber... So the run from the house is how deep? (looks like just a few feet, so you must be in a warm climate). Then it goes to what looks like a Y with a clean out on top? How deep is the Y? then goes to under the road....How deep do you think the road sewer is?

(I recently did a job near Toronto where the road sewer is 16ft-17ft and the run to the house is no shallower than 8ft-9 ft deep- house has a basement as do 99% of houses in Canadian large cities)

Comment

Working...
                              X