X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gurgling in pipes

We have had to have a plumber out every 6 months to a year to snake the pipes because they would start to gurgle and then the washing maching would eventually back up into the bath tub.

We have city sewer connections and the pipes are pretty old... the house was built in the 30's.

Eventually (after several years of plumbing calls) the plumber told us that our problem was tree roots and to prevent it we should put root killer down the system every few months and that would solve the problem....

We have been religiously using the product he told us to, (and we are good about not putting any water down the pipes for the waiting period after application) but the pipes are gurguling again and the root killer has not made any difference.

I just read the post about the new washer machines and we have an H4 or H3 (can't remember which one) front load washer and I have never heard of this he soap, so we have obviously not been using it.... is this causing the slow back up and noises, is it the tree roots, or something more serious?

Re: gurgling in pipes

most root killers only treat the bottom of the pipe as thats where the water washes them. Find a local plumber who deals in Root-x, and get them to do a thorough cleaning and root-x application.
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by deatra1994 View Post
      ... is this causing the slow back up and noises, is it the tree roots, or something more serious?
      After having rented a rooter and rooted a handicapped acquaintence'sewer line enough times, I had him buy a rooter and leave it in his basement.

Now it an easy quick process and is already for the nextime.
      I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
      It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
      "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

If You have a plumber camera your drain, You may find these roots are isolated to one small area. It's time to do a proper repair. May not be as bad as You think . Find a small local plumber with a good rep. Stay away from these big National co. good luck. start talking to Your neighbors for references.
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
          If You have a plumber camera your drain, You may find these roots are isolated to one small area. It's time to do a proper repair. ...
          How do they repair an area where roots get in?

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
            How do they repair an area where roots get in?
            The camera will give You footage to where roots start and end.
            On My own sewer line it meant hand digging down about 4ft.
            Using My gas concrete saw, I cut out about 4ft. of terra cotta PIPE. I used 2 mission couplings and 4 ft of 4" A.B.S
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Using My gas concrete saw, I cut out about 4ft. of terra cotta PIPE. I used 2 mission couplings and 4 ft of 4" A.B.S
              ABS in a sewer line? Hope it wasn't foamcore. (That's the only kind of ABS available in this area. Do they even produce solid ABS these days?)
              Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                ABS in a sewer line? Hope it wasn't foamcore. (That's the only kind of ABS available in this area. Do they even produce solid ABS these days?)
                4 " A.B.S.
                Solid.

Comment

Thanks.
                  I thought it was some kind of bladder and injection process.
                  I am planning on marking, (scoring) the snake. Will paint work?
                  Right outside his foundation wall the backed up water begins to drain. Then anotheresistance about 40 feet out.

How unfortunate that terracotta pipes were used outside. Was 3-inch metal pipe too expensive or heavy?
                  Last edited by Robert Gift; 01-09-2011, 06:45 AM.

Comment

in 1958 Eichler , and everyone else here used terra cotta. Problem is roots get in the joints. On My general maxi rooter I have painted a white n red stripe every 10 ft. works well. Good luck fellow insomniac.

Comment

Originally posted by deatra1994 View Post
                      We have had to have a plumber out every 6 months to a year to snake the pipes because they would start to gurgle and then the washing maching would eventually back up into the bath tub.

We have city sewer connections and the pipes are pretty old... the house was built in the 30's.

Eventually (after several years of plumbing calls) the plumber told us that our problem was tree roots and to prevent it we should put root killer down the system every few months and that would solve the problem....

We have been religiously using the product he told us to, (and we are good about not putting any water down the pipes for the waiting period after application) but the pipes are gurguling again and the root killer has not made any difference.

I just read the post about the new washer machines and we have an H4 or H3 (can't remember which one) front load washer and I have never heard of this he soap, so we have obviously not been using it.... is this causing the slow back up and noises, is it the tree roots, or something more serious?
                      Provided the problem is in the main sewer line...have a plumber camera the line and determine how extensive the problem may or may not be...could be that whom ever is cabling the line is just cabling it to get it open and not cleaning it...there is a difference....could be there is a more serious problem...the camera never lies!!!!
                      Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                      You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                        Does this mean We shouldn't use A.B.S. under a slab?

I never used the word foam core,You did.

Comment

Here we can't use foam core abs in the ground, must use pvc if using plastic. or the ever rare and heavy solid core ABS. Besides reading the side of the pipe the solid core is really heavy compared to cell-foam core.
                          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Does this mean We shouldn't use A.B.S. under a slab?

I never used the word foam core,You did.
                            I wondered about the foamcore only because solid ABS isn't stocked at any supply houses in this metropolitan area.

As far as using ABS under a slab, I personally avoid using it whenever possible. It's an inferior product to PVC. I've had two plumbing jobs where the waste and vent for a brand new piped bathroom had to be removed and replaced because the ABS foamcore would absolutely not hold five pounds of air. In case you're wondering we also glued the ends of the miter box cut abs foamcore pipe. Something I don't have to bother with using pvc.

The only benefit of ABS imho is the glue / solvent has lower fume levels which is safer for the installer.
                            Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Working...
                            X