Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sewage pump not running

Really need some expert help here.

Two years ago I remodelled my basement into living space. The contractor installed a sewage pump for us. We picked the large tank and the largest horse power Ridgid sewage pump from homedepot. During the last two years, we have 4 times overflow. The first times that the contactor blamed the pump has problem and won't run. We replaced a new one. The second time, he said it was the same problem, so we replaced again. Last month, it was overflow again. We didn't believe it is the pump problem, so he brought the pump up from the tank and clean it then it worked again. He told us that some dirty waste got clogged up at the bottom. Today, it got overflow again. I suspect if there is something wrong with the installation. We have normal usage and didn't flush any thing other than toilet paper. We are getting very frustrated. It doesn't seem to be normal this way to me. Do we installed the wrong pump? Can anyone give me some suggestion what to check with the pump? Thanks!
    Last edited by janna1; 01-09-2011, 02:51 AM. Reason: typo

Re: sewage pump not running

Pics of set up would be great...but more information needed...pump model?...is check valve in right location?...is discharge pipe right size and install properly?...anything you can tell would help....
    Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
    You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by janna1 View Post
      Really need some expert help here.

Two years ago I remodelled my basement into living space. The contractor installed a sewage pump for us. We picked the large tank and the largest horse power Ridgid sewage pump from homedepot. During the last two years, we have 4 times overflow. The first times that the contactor blamed the pump has problem and won't run. We replaced a new one. The second time, he said it was the same problem, so we replaced again. Last month, it was overflow again. We didn't believe it is the pump problem, so he brought the pump up from the tank and clean it then it worked again. He told us that some dirty waste got clogged up at the bottom. Today, it got overflow again. I suspect if there is something wrong with the installation. We have normal usage and didn't flush any thing other than toilet paper. We are getting very frustrated. It doesn't seem to be normal this way to me. Do we installed the wrong pump? Can anyone give me some suggestion what to check with the pump? Thanks!
      as this is ridgid forum and I love my ridgid tools I would never in my life install a ridgid pump in a customers house first off is he a Licensed Plumber if not he should not be doing plumbing ask to see his License but most of all I would put in a pump that will run with no problems and last a long time
      http://www.zoellerpumps.com/ProductB...x?ProductID=81
      the zoeller pump 264
      SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

PS I am sorry to here about the problems as it bothers me to here that
        SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

No offense to Ridgid either, but I would never install a Ridgid Sewer ejector pump.

Comment

Zoeller is all we would ever install Sorry Ridgid Bad pumps.
            Rod
            MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
            Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
            http://unclognh.com
            http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

One more vote for Zoeller right here...
              Ideal Plumbing

Comment

I like Goulds sewage ejector pumps. I've had good luck with Zoeller as well but the Goulds has a 5 year warranty which beats Zoeller's 3 year.

I just had a Liberty pump fail after 5 years in a relatively low usage environment. I won't be using that brand again.
                Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Sorry for that experience. If you can PM me your contact information we'd like to find out more about the problem. Thanks for your post.

Comment

Get in touch with Cuda here on the forum. He is a great guy and is located in Seattle.

Here is his webpage:

http://www.seattledrainservice.com/
                    www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I found a different plumber and he also told me that I need to replace the pump. The current pump is making some humming sound but doesn't eject much water and tp. The plumber also pointed out that my basin may not big enough. I have the 18x30 (the largest we got from homedepot). It would be a lot of work to do if we need to replace with a larger one. We have two bathrooms that connect to this basin. Is it absolute necessary? Thanks.
                      Last edited by janna1; 01-12-2011, 01:53 AM. Reason: add more

Comment

By the way, is any alarm system that I can install in the tank so that we can at least stop using the water before it overflow?

Comment

Originally posted by janna1 View Post
                          By the way, is any alarm system that I can install in the tank so that we can at least stop using the water before it overflow?
                          Not gettin personal but if you have like ADT they offer senseres to moniter water leval in pits sewer sump But be ware if that is something toy go with when alarm goes off police and fire come unless you call adt first thats ont and yes they doo ofer others
                          http://www.sjerhombus.com/products/p...nfo.asp?id=103
                          1011421 TA AB-01H (120 VAC w/15’ SJE SignalMaster® High Level) $96.39 this is APX on list remember there will be mark up but byt sje rhombus make good stuf http://www.sjerhombus.com/products/p...nfo.asp?id=103

SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

by the way make sure to PM ProBrand like he asked as he is a ridgid op mgr here on the sight and he might be able to help and if he could that would be great
                            SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

In vancouver bc, ridgid has a top of the line cast iron sewage sump pump $299cdn. The pump i found was good but they used an electronic sensor to detect the water level and when it got sludged up, it couldnt sense the rising water level and flooded the place, twice. The third time i tied a mechanical float to it because i find it more reliable and got rid of the water sensor. Ridgid made a mistake, i believe, with this design. i would probably recommend a Myers sewage pump bec they still use the float. You should get a high water level alarm, it uses a float to sound a loud buzzer to let you know to stop flushing and head down to the basement to take a look. its about $100cdn.

Comment

Working...
                              X