Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water pressure gauge - first on or let it sit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water pressure gauge - first on or let it sit?

Related to my last thread but I want to ask a different question please.

When attaching the Rain Bird pressure gauge to the cold water of the laundry, when I first turn it on, it reads 38psi (as I said before). But I noticed that after leaving it for several minutes, the pressure rises to about 48psi, right about where I want it (maybe a touch more).

Should I take the 'just turned on' reading of the 38psi, or the 'left for several minutes' of 48psi?

Re: Water pressure gauge - first on or let it sit?

Originally posted by steve0617 View Post
    Related to my last thread but I want to ask a different question please.

When attaching the Rain Bird pressure gauge to the cold water of the laundry, when I first turn it on, it reads 38psi (as I said before). But I noticed that after leaving it for several minutes, the pressure rises to about 48psi, right about where I want it (maybe a touch more).

Should I take the 'just turned on' reading of the 38psi, or the 'left for several minutes' of 48psi?
    That could be a rise due to water heater expansion.

I prefer to get a static test pressure as you have done and then also a running test pressure.

Gives a better idea of operating pressure/recovery.

What are you trying to do?

J.C.

Comment

Re: Water pressure gauge - first on or let it sit?

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
      That could be a rise due to water heater expansion.

I prefer to get a static test pressure as you have done and then also a running test pressure.

Gives a better idea of operating pressure/recovery.

What are you trying to do?

J.C.
      So, should I take the initial first turn on reading (38psi in this case) or the 10 minutes or so later reading?

Water pressure at all faucets and outside hose bibs is low. Water comes into basement to the PRV, then the water meter, then the split for the sprinkler (ugh....).

Trying to crank up the pressure a bit at the PRV for the rest of the house (city claims 100+ PSI at the street) but I want to make damn sure I don't crank it too far and start risking fixtures.

Unfortunately, it's a rental house and there is no HWH expansion tank.

Comment

Working...
      X