X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last question - 2.5gpm at shower arm?

From the other threads, and since I don't have a HWH expansion tank, it seems to keep the pressure (while the HWH is running) at about 60psi, I need to keep the static pressure using the PVR around 38psi when the HWH is not running. That's what I found on my gauge (22 additional psi from the HWH back into the closed system? Wow... Wish I could install a expansion tank....)

So my last question (SWEAR!)

Using a 5 gallon bucket at the separate soaker tub in my MBB, I filled a 5 gallon bucket with the two knob cold/hot running full strength, in about 45 seconds. So that's about what? 6.5ish GPM or so. Very nice pressure.

I then removed the shower head and filled the same bucket with the single arm Moen shower handle on an even balance of hot/cold, in a little over 2 minutes. Thus, a bit less than 2.5 GPM from the shower arm with no shower head.

So, I assume the Moen valve inside the wall is restricted to the Fed's 2.5 GPM?

Is that how it works now? The shower heads restrict to 2.5GPM of course, but now, newer shower valves feeding the arm/shower head are also restricted to 2.5GPM?

Or do I have a clog/restriction somewhere in the cartridge/valve/supply lines? Should I be getting the same approx. 6 GPM from the shower arm like I get from the bath tub three feet away?

House and fixtures are about 5-6 years old.

Re: Last question - 2.5gpm at shower arm?

Can't comment on your stuff, since I don't use that brand.

But many valves have one port marked as the "tub" port that is higher flow, has larger passages and is intended for the tub. Maybe that's what you've got?

On my last bathroom renovation I connected the high flow port (little picture of a tub cast into the brass body) to the diverter that runs the fixed and handheld shower - and I'm glad I did. I much prefer a lot of flow from the shower.

Comment

sounds like the moen valve cartridge pressure balancing spool is stuck and not allowing for the proper flow. usually this causes a flow problem and either the hot or cold will not deliver full flow.

also check to see if the hot and cold have service stops/ screwdriver stops. make sure they're fully opened. then also shut the water and remove the cartridge and flush out without the cart. installed.

2.5 is not the valve.

rick
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        sounds like the moen valve cartridge pressure balancing spool is stuck and not allowing for the proper flow. usually this causes a flow problem and either the hot or cold will not deliver full flow.

also check to see if the hot and cold have service stops/ screwdriver stops. make sure they're fully opened. then also shut the water and remove the cartridge and flush out without the cart. installed.

2.5 is not the valve.

rick
        Rick

Thanks for replying.

OK, I get that the brass valve itself isn't restricting the water flow, but would even a brand new Moen cartridge create the restriction? Or do they run wide open and the showerhead alone is the thing that's supposed to do the 2.5GPM restriction per the Feds?

Comment

it could be the screwdriver stop on the hot or cold not fully open/ flowing. it could be the balancing spool too.

best bet is to shut off the stops and remove the cartridge first. then you'll have to open each screwdriver stop to allow the balancing spool to open. if it's still weak, then remove the balancing spool after you've shut the water. with the spool removed you can open the stops separately and check for proper flow.

just make sure you use the proper size screwdriver on the stops and spool cap so you don't strip off the heads
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            just make sure you use the proper size screwdriver on the stops and spool cap so you don't strip off the heads
            Yea, that would suck. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
            X