Need easy-touch shower control for elderly parent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need easy-touch shower control for elderly parent

I have a Moen shower control knob in a shower my mother uses. For an average person, it is not too difficult to pull out the knob to turn on the water, or push it back in to turn off the water. But for my elderly mom, it is a challenge and I am concerned that one day she may slip and hurt herself in her two-handed best effort to turn on/off the shower.

I already removed the knob and cleaned/greased the stem, so I don't think I can do much more myself as a DIY homeowner.

I would like to have a plumber replace the knob/valve with another that requires a lighter touch to operate. I googled for such a solution and found references to a pressure-balanced valve, but I'm not sure if that has a lighter touch or just solves a different problem.

Any input appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Re: Need easy-touch shower control for elderly parent

A new cartridge will make this faucet easier to operate. After a new cartridge is installed she should be able to easily operate the fixture with a light touch. Another option is to replace the whole valve with one that is pressure balanced. Many companies offer a variety of trim options with a lever handle, as these handles simply turn counter-clockwise, as opposed to pull and turn. You will also have the added safety of an adjustable high-limit stop and temperature monitoring, maintaining the temperature within 3 degrees Farenheit. Whatever you do, please support your local economy and hire a local licensed plumber. This is the type of job that can go real bad, real fast and you don't want to be stuck without water while you wait until someone can come out.
    Last edited by Devine Plumbing; 01-13-2011, 10:55 PM.
    Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Call 1-800 buy Moen, and tell them that you need a new cartridge. They will ask you a few questions to determine what model faucet you have. Then they will send you the new cartridge for free.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
        A new cartridge will make this faucet easier to operate. After a new cartridge is installed she should be able to easily operate the fixture with a light touch. Another option is to replace the whole valve with one that is pressure balanced. Many companies offer a variety of trim options with a lever handle, as these handles simply turn counter-clockwise, as opposed to pull and turn. You will also have the added safety of an adjustable high-limit stop and temperature monitoring, maintaining the temperature within 3 degrees Farenheit. Whatever you do, please support your local economy and hire a local licensed plumber. This is the type of job that can go real bad, real fast and you don't want to be stuck without water while you wait until someone can come out.
        Exactly
        ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

hey ron they are. lol. breid..................

Comment

I'll try replacing the cartridge first. Would youy regard this as a DIY project? I found this link which describes the process:

http://bungalow23.com/2009/02/25/how...lve-cartridge/

If the new cartridge is not sufficient, I will hire a plumber to replace the entire valve with a lever style.

Many thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
              hey ron they are. lol. breid..................
              Second attempt at this post.

Guess the figured me out as the pron spammer.
              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Working...
              X