Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Water Line from meter to House

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
    I was never referring to flex stuff..I was suggesting to use poly black well pipe ..I believe it it polyethelyne . So I have no clue about flex ..I imagine it(flex tubing for whirlpools /spas) is quite expensive and I am sure it is not approved material for water services in my area
    Yeah i was asking Breid really...he made a post about using pvc in a roll and said google it. I googled it and found the flex stuff for spas and tubs.
    I've never seen any hard pvc in a roll. Cpvc yes but not pvc,I've never seen any.

Comment

Me either.
      ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Before i poured my front patio over my water main ..I replaced it with 1 1/2" sch 40 . If any thing bad ever happened i could slide in a 1" line in and still have good water

Comment

I would recommend pex, but for what it's worth, I often repair broken pvc threaded fittings but almost never a glue coupling. Properly done, they are extremely reliable. Always sleeve under concrete. Main failure point is expanding and contracting soil on a threaded fitting which was installed in a bit of a bind. PVC's psi rating is very high. But I would recommend pex. It is better IMHO than the regular (non pex) polyethylene because the fittings are better. Regular polyethylene uses orings, which do deteriorate. But pvc, properly glued and bedded, is very reliable. Bed any threaded fittings with sand and do not put pipe in bind, especially at threaded fittings.

Comment

Originally posted by buyfield View Post
            I would recommend pex. It is better IMHO than the regular (non pex) polyethylene because the fittings are better. Regular polyethylene uses orings, which do deteriorate. But pvc, properly glued and bedded, is very reliable. Bed any threaded fittings with sand and do not put pipe in bind, especially at threaded fittings.
            In my opinion, butt fusion polyethylene is the most reliable pipe for underground installation for water distribution. A well made butt fusion joint is as strong as the pipe it's welded to. And I've never had a problem with the stainless transition fittings.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
              In my opinion, butt fusion polyethylene is the most reliable pipe for underground installation for water distribution. A well made butt fusion joint is as strong as the pipe it's welded to. And I've never had a problem with the stainless transition fittings.
              Black PE all over the place here doing fine. The thicker grade stuff of course. All of it is done with simple insert fittings and clamps.

I'd like to do fusion. What kind of equipment do you need? Any links on where to buy?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Yep black poly well pipe 200 psi. Not barbed insert fittings though..Pack fittings more compression type of fitting
                ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                  Black PE all over the place here doing fine. The thicker grade stuff of course. All of it is done with simple insert fittings and clamps. I'd like to do fusion. What kind of equipment do you need? Any links on where to buy? Thanks. J.C.
                  McElroy makes a good machine.
                  http://www.mcelroy.com/
                  Go to their distributor page and find one in your area.
                  Or, your HDPE distributor may be able to steer you to a manufacturer they are partial to.
                  The nice thing about fusion machines is they can be used for both gas and water HDPE.

There is a machine that will butt fuse from 1/2" to 2", using changeable inserts which are placed onto the vise clamps of the machine.
                  There are bigger machines (we have a machine that will go up to 4") But, if you ever need a larger machine, you can rent one.
                  Last edited by Plumbus; 01-20-2011, 08:23 PM.

Comment

I vote Black Poly...why would you want glue joints under ground if you don't have too?

But I live up North and never seen that done here, so keep that in mind.

Comment

200lb PE either fusion or fittings is all the city water departments are using around here. We have been using the same for private wells for over 40 years also. It's inexpensive, durable and easy to work with. It's not effected by UV light either. Pex, would be OK but why spend the extra money. Copper is way out of anybodies price range now and is subject to water conditions as well as burial conditions. I hate using PVC for water supply, but that's just a personal choice thing.
                      sigpic

Comment

master

beats the crap out of me. i've never seen it. i know nothing. i just know it's out there. i like 200 psi pe with ford fittings. wd has used them with success, i just copied them. i did not want to use the stuff so i figured op could read up on it. if i find any info i will post it. breid.............

Comment

on most of my water lines on the farm I have used black Polly pipe in 300' rolls and barbed fittings and Stainless Steel hose clamps worm drive, there is close to a mile of it,
                          some of it has been in over 30 years, that I have put in,

the old original here is steel galvanized, it has only been in the ground about 100 years,

on one stock tank (the government got involved in this one, and required PVC) and this tank is over 1/2 mile from the house, it has been in close to 15 years,

If your in rocks you will want to bed the pipe in sand and then cover it with sand, one neighbor was having leaks developed in the back Polly about 5 to 10 years and when digging down ti repair the pipe, he discovered it had holes in it where it was rubbing on sharp rocks, one winter he had about 6 leaks on a line he had to keep working, (I would think one would want the same protection on PVC),

I my self would go with black Polly, not the irrigation type for lawn sprinkles, most of it, is not NSF rated, NSF rated means it is safe for drinking water, and with at least 100 psi rating, if not better,

my second choice would be PVC,
                          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                          attributed to Samuel Johnson
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

FWIW, 1" pvc is 450 psi and 3/4 is 480 psi, roughly triple that of pex. I can only imagine that that is because a properly glued fitting is extremely reliable.

Comment

Originally posted by buyfield View Post
                              FWIW, 1" pvc is 450 psi and 3/4 is 480 psi, roughly triple that of pex. I can only imagine that that is because a properly glued fitting is extremely reliable.
                              The pipe might have that pressure rating but threaded fittings do not. They get de-rated 50% unless you get the banded type female adapter.

Comment

We have some old black Polly around here i repair it one pin hole at a time until its all gone
                                I real didn't know it was still in use
                                Been gluing pipe together from the get go

Comment

Working...
                                X