Water Line from meter to House

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Water Line from meter to House

Seen alot of breaks at the threads of pvc sch40, the trend seems to be black PE so far series 160 and 200. PE has been the in thing for the last 12 years here. We use Pex alot and PB in the earlier days. When we do a job, i ve found that soft copper type K has given the most life around here, lasting in the area of 40 to 45 years. So i would vote for copper, then PE. Dont know how PE will do after 20 years or more though? We were told to put a check valve if PE was used because of warm water backflow from a house. Apparently, PE doesnt like temps above 50 or 60 degC for prolong periods of time. Do you guys have to use a check valve with PE too?

Comment

So, the PEX blue (3/4) is acceptable for the main line run from the meter to the house?? After 4 pages, not sure. If I use PEX, it willbe sleeve in 11/4 PVC to the meter. Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Ronald View Post
        So, the PEX blue (3/4) is acceptable for the main line run from the meter to the house?? After 4 pages, not sure. If I use PEX, it willbe sleeve in 11/4 PVC to the meter. Ron

So now you're gonna sleeve the whole thing ..why? Are you done yet I'm calling this in for inspection for tomorrow ..Let's go
        ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Personally I would use 1".

Comment

1 inch PEX? It is a 65 foot lenght. The plummer said 3/4 woudl be large enough.

Comment

1 inch PEX? It is a 65 foot lenght. The plummer said 3/4 woudl be large enough.
              If a real Plummer said that then you should be fine.

Comment

Comment

OLD1, not sure what you are saying. Can you explain more clearly? Ron

Comment

round me it's the black poly that is going bad, 20 years or so seems to be the range when it starts leaking. Most here use either HDPE (fusion if needed) or 1" pex.
                    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

OLD1, not sure what you are saying. Can you explain more clearly? Ron

Ok ..You are using Pex and are sleeving it the whole way.I imagine if and when it goes bad you can pull another run through there..Good idea I guess if that is your plan .A waste of material on the other hand if you just want or have to sleeve it because you are using pex.. Thats all ..In my opinion there is not that much price difference between 3/4" and 1" ..When I do a replacement I usually opt for 1" even on your smaller homes .That allows for upgrades / additions for future usage..something to think about ..
                      You have had a lot input here..

Comment

Don't worry about the glue joints. Dry pipe, primer, and then glue. Hold glued fittings together until dry (20-30 seconds) so they don't pull out. Good trench is important too.

Comment

Thank you all for the replies/info/help. Differnet opinions are always a help.
                          I have decide to go with the blue PEX (3/4 inch since it turns out to be only a 65 ft run) sleeved in 1 1/2 pvc.
                          Ron

Comment

Comment

No body doing copper water mains anymore?

Comment

Yup, Toronto, it's all copper.

Comment

Working...
                                X