Don't know where you're at, but down here on the
    27th parallel we have 40 years worth of PVC water
    services in the ground. If primed and glued properly
    there will be no problem with joint failure, especially
    since the bell end of the pipe is almost twice the length
    of a regular fitting hub.

Comment

Re: Water Line from meter to House

Code here is K copper at least 15' from house and 15' from meter vault, mac pac fittings and CTS poly.

Almost all of our mains under 100' are all K copper.

I have never seen pvc or pex mains.
      Crazy - been doing this for what seems like forever, always learning ....

Comment

The region dictates the pipe type and depth.
        No such thing as frost line down here and the soil is mostly
        sandy loam. Before the days of PVC, it was galvanized IP.

Comment

I would use a CTS pipe or copper. And if you need any fittings use pack joint fittings. I know barb fittings and clamps have been around forever but i have dug up and repaired more of them than i can count.

Comment

Sorry to comment on old threads but Im new to the forum. In my area (Northern VA - Washington DC) Is is unheard of to use PVC or PEX underground for water service. As some have already stated black 200 psi "poly" pipe is a good price alternative to copper. I personally dont know why anyone running 90' of pipe would install in 20' sections when you can buy a 100' roll of black "poly" for about $30? The only problems that I have seen with this pipe in 17 years of my plumbing life is that idiots use plastic insert fittings rather than brass or even galvanized.

Comment

Originally posted by "Larry The Plumber Guy" View Post
              Sorry to comment on old threads but Im new to the forum. In my area (Northern VA - Washington DC) Is is unheard of to use PVC or PEX underground for water service. As some have already stated black 200 psi "poly" pipe is a good price alternative to copper. I personally dont know why anyone running 90' of pipe would install in 20' sections when you can buy a 100' roll of black "poly" for about $30? The only problems that I have seen with this pipe in 17 years of my plumbing life is that idiots use plastic insert fittings rather than brass or even galvanized.
              Exactly ..plastic insert fittings = bullshi* ..200psi poly and pack fittings ..Done..But seems the guy wanted to run his water service in 3/4" Pex and sleeve it in 1 1/2 pvc.Which is good for when it goes he can pull a new run through the sleeving
              ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                Ok ..You are using Pex and are sleeving it the whole way.I imagine if and when it goes bad you can pull another run through there..Good idea I guess if that is your plan .A waste of material on the other hand if you just want or have to sleeve it because you are using pex.. Thats all ..In my opinion there is not that much price difference between 3/4" and 1" ..When I do a replacement I usually opt for 1" even on your smaller homes .That allows for upgrades / additions for future usage..something to think about ..
                You have had a lot input here..

OLD1
                Just a quick update. My plumber is going to use 1 inch instead of the 3/4 I was going to use. His reasoning on price was the same as yours. The 30th is when it is scheduled to be put in, so hope all goes well! All brass fittings and sleeved. Ron
                Last edited by Ronald; 03-23-2011, 12:45 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Here is what is being installed. Anybody ever use or have any info on it, good or bad? Is it PEX or just regular PE, if there is a difference. Thanks, Ron
                  Attached Files

Comment

If you are not aware...size does matter!
                    1" PEX for your run should work fine, measure the inside diameter
                    it won't be 1"
                    That's the reason why your plumber said no to 3/4" PEX as it's not 3/4"

I have recently [less than 5 years] re-plumbed with WISBRO-PEX
                    I ran 1" from the meter to a manifold system then 3/4" to all
                    water fixtures then stubbed out to 1/2" copper and attached all fixtures
                    from the toilet to the kitchen sink and more!

We have never experienced any problems. It did take about two
                    to three weeks to wash out the PEX waxy plastic odor/taste.

When in the shower and someone flushes....no more screaming when the
                    pressure drops.

All PEX is protected from UV and sunlight! The supply PEX from the water meter
                    is underground and is stubbed to 1" copper when above ground going into the house
                    and then re-stubbed back to PEX inside the wall.

If you're running the plumbing in the attic I strongly suggest you add pipe insulation
                    to both the hot and cold runs, the foam style is fine.

Cactus Man

Comment

Hello Castus Man
                      Appreciate the info. It will only be from the meter to the house. It will be sleeved ( I know not required, but for piece of mind and ease of replacement, I opted for it.) The line from the meter to teh house is all underground and enters throught the base wall. 30 inch below ground line. The line will enter in the basement which is heated. Once it enters, it will be connected to the existing CPVC. All is already insulated.

Comment

I realize I'm jumping in a bit late here, (Hopefully you're done with this by now) but....
                        If I understood the original question you are going From the meter, into the house about 90Ft away.
                        If this is a residential meter, the connection to the meter will be either 3/4" or sometimes even 1/2" PT. If thats the case I would go with the 100' roll of Pex at $33 with a $6 connector at each end and get this job done. The Meter should be in a Pit or otherwise unexposed so that connection will not be underground, and I assume the connection to the house is also above ground. Protect with sand as mentioned above, and protect from freezing at both ends where it comes above the freeze line.
                        Just my opinion.

Comment

Will be done next week. I can't believe it has taken this long either!
                          Yes the meter is in a box. I had them install a second box and connect a 3/4 brass ball valve so I would have access to turn the water off. I know the meter has a shut off valve, but did not want to be messing with the city meter.Once it leaves the box, the line is comletely underground where it enter the basement. Nothing is above ground.

Comment

Ronald, the pipe in pic is Polyethylene (PE) rated for 200 PSI.

Thats my 2nd best choice for Water Service, copper being the first and most $$$$$.

PE is a better choice than PEX for water service, it has a higher pressure rating than PEX.

I never run PEX for Water Service ( meter to house )

Do you tell youre Plumber that you get all your info from a plumbing forum?

Comment

Hello GreenPlumb
                              I tell them I did research on materials I would like to have installed. I do find that if I show that I am knowledgeable on the subject, things go a little better. Ron

Comment

Pex is installed under slabs.....its fine to install underground and I've done it for years without trouble. 20' pvc sch 40 bell end is fine also.....and I've used it without issue but have repaired many broken male and female adapters. PVC threaded fittings have 1/2 the pressure rating as the pipe and is de-rated accordingly. I've replaced countless water services with 20' bell end pvc and I have NEVER had a solvent weld joint leak on a new service. The installer can make all the difference in the world. We do not make joints under concrete slabs here on any type of potable water pipe unless its brazed coppa.

Comment

Working...
                                X