Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Line from meter to House

Hello
    What is the best type of line to run from the house (about 90 feet)? some have said PVC and others say blue PEX.
    The negatives for the PVC is tht it comes in 20 ft sections and at each glue joint, could be a potential for leakage if cracked.
    RH

Re: Water Line from meter to House

Originally posted by Ronald View Post
    Hello
    What is the best type of line to run from the house (about 90 feet)? some have said PVC and others say blue PEX.
    The negatives for the PVC is tht it comes in 20 ft sections and at each glue joint, could be a potential for leakage if cracked.
    RH
    The cheapest and best IMO is black poly well pipe 200 psi.Comes in rolls .. Cheaper than copper ...Glue joints underground ..You are kidding right
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I would consider using a 100' roll of copper or pex....if allowed in your area. Your water chemistry should play a big part in your decision.

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
        The cheapest and best IMO is black poly well pipe 200 psi.Comes in rolls .. Cheaper than copper ...Glue joints underground ..You are kidding right
        No, I wasn't kidding. The gentleman that is doing the works says they always use pvc from the meter to house and have no problems.

What is the problem with glue joints under graound if done properly?
        When PEX is used and it makes a 90 degree to come into the house, does that restrict water pressure?

Comment

No, I wasn't kidding. The gentleman that is doing the works says they always use pvc from the meter to house and have no problems.

When PEX is used and it makes a 90 degree to come into the house, does that restrict water pressure?
          There are no problems with the glue joints on pvc if they properly made. Pvc threaded fittings typically are pressure de-rated by 50% of the rated pressure of the pipe. The weakest point in a pvc system is threaded joints. Some manufacturers make a female pvc adapter with a metal band around the outside of the fittings over the threaded portion....or you can use sch80 fittings and sch 40 pipe to have a stronger system.

Sure 90's affect pressure for the worse......but with pex or copper you could make the 90 without fittings if you have enough room.

Goodluck

Comment

I would never do it personally..Roll out a solid piece of whatever you want ..Poly, Pex, Copper, Heck CPVC comes in rolls..If I can avoid joints in a water service I do...But if you're hell bent on 10' sec. of pvc . have at it..

Comment

I would never do it personally..Roll out a solid piece of whatever you want ..Poly, Pex, Copper, Heck CPVC comes in rolls..If I can avoid joints in a water service I do...But if you're hell bent on 10' sec. of pvc . have at it..
              Most people use 20' bell end sch 40 for water services if they are using pvc.

Comment

I am not "hell bent" on it, I am just asking as that is what the plummer is using. yes it would be 20 foot sections.
                Just trying to find out what is better to use.

Comment

I would run sch 40 1"pvc and be done with it..
                  its been in the ground longer than pex has been around

Comment

Should I worry about the comments on glue joints coming loose? Thanks

Comment

100' rolls 1" pvc are out there. google it. i use 200 psi like oldie. city "suggests" it. breid...................

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
                        100' rolls 1" pvc are out there. google it. i use 200 psi like oldie. city "suggests" it. breid...................
                        Isn't that flex pvc for spas and jetted tubs only? I've never seen any flex pvc rated for underground water mains.....but that doesn't mean its not available. Please post a link if you find any specifications on the flex pvc.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                          Isn't that flex pvc for spas and jetted tubs only? I've never seen any flex pvc rated for underground water mains.....but that doesn't mean its not available. Please post a link if you find any specifications on the flex pvc.

Not "flex" but tubing that comes in rolls..I always like 1 continuous piece of pipe underground .Like most plumbers..There are many ways and many different types of materials to do a water service in..Copper , cpvc, poly well pipe(200 psi) pex, etc,etc,etc,..Just can't understand why anyone would want unecessary joints under ground when it can be avoided..Thats all

Comment

Not "flex" but tubing that comes in rolls..I always like 1 continuous piece of pipe underground .Like most plumbers..There are many ways and many different types of materials to do a water service in..Copper , cpvc, poly well pipe(200 psi) pex, etc,etc,etc,..Just can't understand why anyone would want unecessary joints under ground when it can be avoided..Thats all
                            Sure I agree but I just wanted a link to that pvc in a roll so I could check it out. All I have seen is the flex stuff for jettted tubs and spas. I googled it and found flex......

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                              Sure I agree but I just wanted a link to that pvc in a roll so I could check it out. All I have seen is the flex stuff for jettted tubs and spas. I googled it and found flex......
                              I was never referring to flex stuff..I was suggesting to use poly black well pipe ..I believe it it polyethelyne . So I have no clue about flex ..I imagine it(flex tubing for whirlpools /spas) is quite expensive and I am sure it is not approved material for water services in my area

Comment

Working...
                              X