X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• check valve for sump pump

I have an existing sump pump which is a M53 Zoeller sump pump. I found there is no check valve installed. The sump pump locates at a corner of a room. The discharge line is about 2 feet horizontal and then 8' vertical then horizontal 1' to outside.

Few days ago i disconnected the sump pump to check its condition and found the discharge pipe actually hold lots of water.

My question is is the check valve necessary for the M53 Zoeller sump pump? i am thinking this pump may has check valve inside. Otherwise how the discharge pipe still hold that amount of water? if there is no check valve, the discharge line should be empty, I think.

Re: check valve for sump pump

I don't believe there is an integral check on that model or any other that I've installed.
    Plumbing shop supr.
    My plumbing hobby site - PlumbingHelp.ca

Comment

If sump pumps had check valves internally, we wouldn't need to install them in the discharge line.

Not having a check valve puts more wear and tear on that pump.

Comment

Yep...short cycling will do that no doubt...
        Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
        You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

They do make a check valve that screws into the fem. adapter fitting on the pump.There might be one right on the outlet of the pump .You just might not realize it...If not def. add one
          ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

That makes you think.....why haven't pump manufacturers moved to an integrated check valve? Only reason I could think of is so that it is something you can easily replace in case it fails.
            Ideal Plumbing

Comment

True..and they would miss out on the revenue of selling check valves by them selves!!
              Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
              You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Nobody mentions 1/4" drain hole drilled just above pump to prevent

AIR LOCK !
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                  Nobody mentions 1/4" drain hole drilled just above pump to prevent

AIR LOCK !
                  You just did
                  ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by idlplumb View Post
                    That makes you think.....why haven't pump manufacturers moved to an integrated check valve? Only reason I could think of is so that it is something you can easily replace in case it fails.
                    because the pump needs that 3'-5' lift from the pit to open the check valve just like air lock you do need to drill the 3/16" hole just above the male adapter to prevent it
                    SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Working...
                    X