Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: High Drain and Double Sink

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
    So you are using an all glue 2" trap? That would piss me off if I had to come behind you to snake that drain
    You would be pissed at me then. My last 2 kitchen hook-ups I was forced to use a glue trap, because the new sinks were deeper. There was no way for me to get around it either...it ticked me off.

Comment

Losing a 1 1/2" on under mount sinks and going with deeper sinks with stainer's openings in odd spots. Is making every new top change a fine line challenge

Comment

When I get calls for new sink installs I explain to the owners that nine times out of ten I need to open the wall and move the tee in the wall down lower before the new cabinets are set in place. This way we can ensure that the sink waste pipes and traps will work properly.

So to the OP yes its best to lower the tee in the wall.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
          Food waste grinders on a private septic system require the septic tank to be upsized by 50%
          That is unfortunate. Or could they just be pumped a little more often or as needed?
          There was a garbage disposer in the kitchen of the septic system I helped install.
          But it was oversized from what was required. It was for a Bed and Breakfast.
          I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
          It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
          "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
            If you can still have a proper P-trap and flow into the high outlet, I would leave it as is. (I did this is my old house.)

Will a garbage disposer work there?
            Everyone should use a garbage disposer.I do not understand
            It is so convenient and sends organics to be digested and eventually become valuable fertilizer rather than heavy material hauled away where it remains useless landfill.

If not, and you cannot tap into the existing pipe athe proper height in the wall, I would run another pipe up through the floor and connect to thexisting opening as a vent for the new pipe. Or is that illegal?

I do not understand your thinking here. Yes food waste can be digested in sewerage treatment plants or septics. But in a landfill it decomposes just as fast, I do not see it being useless as landfill.

I tell lots of my customers to save their money and do not buy a garbage disposal. To either start a compost pile for their garden or invest on a trash compactor.
            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

They do make a garbage disposal with cartridges that inject enzymes every time you turn it on. Thay say that it is safe for septic systems..ISE I am thinking makes it
              ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

If your putting in a disposal, you should think about a separate waste for it.

Comment

Will a garbage disposer work there?

Everyone should use a garbage disposer.
                  It is so convenient and sends organics to be digested and eventually become valuable fertilizer rather than heavy material hauled away where it remains useless landfill.
                  I will disagree with you on this one,

IMO they should be out lawed,

As it already has been said it causes problems on septic systems, it over burdens the sewage plants, with more product to separate and digest,

you have to wast potable water to wash the grindings down the drain,

On older pluming systems, they cause problems,

The animals do not get the food, nor is it composted in to real usable fertilizer, it becomes sewage sludge.

and land fill does not get any of the contained nitrogen for the massive amounts of carbon that is there to help it decay or compost,

get a few chickens and there will never be an need to throw out food again,
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                    I do not understand your thinking here. Yes food waste can be digested in sewerage treatment plants or septics. But in a landfill it decomposes just as fast, I do not see it being useless as landfill.

I tell lots of my customers to save their money and do not buy a garbage disposal. To either start a compost pile for their garden or invest on a trash compactor.
                    My boss calls me useless landfill.

Organics in a landfill break down much more slowly and when they do, are worthlessince they are buried inside the landfill.

Sludge from a sewage plant is dried and spread as fertilizer.

Many people find that waste usually put down garbage disposers is too bothersome to collect and retain and take out to compost.
                    Our compost sometimesmells and the neighbors don't like it when having a barbeque out back. So we have stopped.

Like Kermit said: 'It's not easy being green.'
                    Last edited by Robert Gift; 01-24-2011, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                      ...get a few chickens and there will never be an need to throw out food again,
                      I wish we could have chickens.
                      My wife did in China. Fresh eggs every day.
                      Last edited by Robert Gift; 01-24-2011, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                        When I get calls for new sink installs I explain to the owners that nine times out of ten I need to open the wall and move the tee in the wall down lower before the new cabinets are set in place. This way we can ensure that the sink waste pipes and traps will work properly.

So to the OP yes its best to lower the tee in the wall.
                        The majority of my kitchen sink installs, are because of new counter tops going in. I would get thrown out of the house, if I told them they had to remove the base cabinet so I could lower the tee.

It's been awhile since I've been on a full kitchen remodel.

Comment

That is unfortunate. Or could they just be pumped a little more often or as needed?
                          There was a garbage disposer in the kitchen of the septic system I helped install.
                          But it was oversized from what was required. It was for a Bed and Breakfast.
                          Here's a true story from when I was on the plumbing board. Customer has a licensed plumber install a disposer. About 2 years later his leach field goes into failure. Septic guy installs new leach field and a new larger tank and then informs the customer that the plumber that installed the disposal was responsible for the cost of the new system. It went to court, the plumbing board was dragged into the testimony. Care to guess who won?

This is another reason why knowing your code and following your code to the letter is the only way to avoid expensive lawsuits.

The court ruled that even though the customer wanted the disposal installed, it is ultimately the responsibility of the plumber to know the code. So 3, 4 hundred dollar profit turns into a 25,000 dollar loss.
                          sigpic

Comment

There is a neighborhood here that makes you sign a contract NOT to install a garbage disposal and if you do...the homeowner is held responsible for any maintenace resulting from the installation. Its legal for a plumber to install it but the damage caused from it is the homeowners per the contract. They have a grinder station specifically for that neighborhood and thats the deal the builder worked out with the city. That document is signed when they purchase the home. Its also in the covenants of the neighborhood...the same as you cant have a motor home parked on your property or a commercial vehicles with signs of them. Its like a mini nazi germany

Comment

No soup for you
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                                There is a neighborhood here that makes you sign a contract NOT to install a garbage disposal and if you do...the homeowner is held responsible for any maintenace resulting from the installation. Its legal for a plumber to install it but the damage caused from it is the homeowners per the contract. They have a grinder station specifically for that neighborhood and thats the deal the builder worked out with the city. That document is signed when they purchase the home. Its also in the covenants of the neighborhood...the same as you cant have a motor home parked on your property or a commercial vehicles with signs of them. Its like a mini nazi germany
                                The mini sewage treatment facility (for a large trailer park) where I helped out has an influent masher/grinder. (A very dangerous device with no OFF switch near it. It is protected by a removable grate.)
                                Don't all sewage treatment plants have such a device?

(From the grit collector just before it I retrieved a bottle of cologne which I cleaned up. I gave the genuine eau de toilette to my boss for his birthday.
                                After he used some I told him from whence it came!)

I'm surprised they would be concerned about garbage disposal material.

Comment

Working...
                                X