X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Drain and Double Sink

Hi, I'm remodelling my kitchen, and I'd like to install a double sink. I have read that the drain rough in should be about 16 inches above the ground. The problem is that I have a very old house, and the drain has been plumbed 24" above the ground.

Can I still use this height of drain? The counter will be 36" high, and the sink will be 9"deep (undermount), so technically I'll have 3" between the bottom of the sink and the outlet drain. Is it possible to plumb this or do i have find a shallower sink?

I previously had a double sink in the same counter, but it looks like it was only 6 inches deep.

Thanks

Re: High Drain and Double Sink

You'll need to lower that.

Comment

If you can still have a proper P-trap and flow into the high outlet, I would leave it as is. (I did this is my old house.)

Will a garbage disposer work there?
      Everyone should use a garbage disposer.
      It is so convenient and sends organics to be digested and eventually become valuable fertilizer rather than heavy material hauled away where it remains useless landfill.

If not, and you cannot tap into the existing pipe athe proper height in the wall, I would run another pipe up through the floor and connect to thexisting opening as a vent for the new pipe. Or is that illegal?
      I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
      It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
      "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

13'' up from the finish floor is a good mark. this will allow for the 2 part waste and a disposal.

if you have a preference which side of the sink gets the disposal, angle the waste pipe towards it.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          13'' up from the finish floor is a good mark. this will allow for the 2 part waste and a disposal.

if you have a preference which side of the sink gets the disposal, angle the waste pipe towards it.

rick.
          I do mine the opposite. I rough in to put the trap on the basket strainer side of the sink,not the disposal side.

Comment

I do mine towards the basket strainer as well. But I also use the waste end outlets that run a tee from the basket to the disposer, instead of installing 2 traps.
            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
              I do mine the opposite. I rough in to put the trap on the basket strainer side of the sink,not the disposal side.
              Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
              I do mine towards the basket strainer as well. But I also use the waste end outlets that run a tee from the basket to the disposer, instead of installing 2 traps.
              while it is true that the basket strainer stacked over the trap makes for a simple way to get the snake down a strainer and through the trap avoiding the turn of the slip joint 90 and diverter tee.

stacking the disposal over the trap will help prevent the vibration from the disposal from pushing off the slip joint 90. especially true with stainless sinks that tend to vibrate more than a cast sink.

95% of double compartment sinks that i come across are trapped like this.

99.9% of the thousands of kitchen sinks i've installed are connected like this.

i would make a fab list of rights and lefts based on the trap arm. dead center, i would take into account the air gap drain hose connection

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

When I do new work I rough in to put the trap under the basket strainer. We use all 2" sch 40 traps and I use a 2"x 1.5"x 1.5" pvc san. tee. with trap adapters to connect to tubular tailpieces from the disposal and basket strainer. Thers no way for anything to vibrate apart. We dont use air gaps just loop the hose to the bottom of the counter top and either connect to the disposal or a dishwasher tee direct connect tailpiece.

Comment

I'd say it's a regional thing, I see them here the same way I saw them in eastern North Carolina. My true preference is to rough in two waste trap arms so that both sides are trapped individually, and run back to the wall separately, but I do service now rather than custom homes, so I work with what i've got. Spec homes, one outlet, right at the basket.

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  while it is true that the basket strainer stacked over the trap makes for a simple way to get the snake down a strainer and through the trap avoiding the turn of the slip joint 90 and diverter tee.

stacking the disposal over the trap will help prevent the vibration from the disposal from pushing off the slip joint 90. especially true with stainless sinks that tend to vibrate more than a cast sink.

95% of double compartment sinks that i come across are trapped like this.

99.9% of the thousands of kitchen sinks i've installed are connected like this.

i would make a fab list of rights and lefts based on the trap arm. dead center, i would take into account the air gap drain hose connection

rick.
                  No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                    When I do new work I rough in to put the trap under the basket strainer. We use all 2" sch 40 traps and I use a 2"x 1.5"x 1.5" pvc san. tee. with trap adapters to connect to tubular tailpieces from the disposal and basket strainer. Thers no way for anything to vibrate apart. We dont use air gaps just loop the hose to the bottom of the counter top and either connect to the disposal or a dishwasher tee direct connect tailpiece.
                    So you are using an all glue 2" trap? That would piss me off if I had to come behind you to snake that drain

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                      So you are using an all glue 2" trap? That would piss me off if I had to come behind you to snake that drain
                      You shouldn't be working in my customers house anyway We install cleanouts.

Comment

Next time I find a glued trap the first thing I will be thinking " Grrr The Master was here"
                        Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
                          If you can still have a proper P-trap and flow into the high outlet, I would leave it as is. (I did this is my old house.)

Will a garbage disposer work there?
                          Everyone should use a garbage disposer.
                          It is so convenient and sends organics to be digested and eventually become valuable fertilizer rather than heavy material hauled away where it remains useless landfill.

If not, and you cannot tap into the existing pipe athe proper height in the wall, I would run another pipe up through the floor and connect to thexisting opening as a vent for the new pipe. Or is that illegal?
                          FYI gabage disposals and Septic systems dont generally play nice together.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                            Unfortunatly here in chicago end waste outlets are not code we have to run 2 traps and on new installs it has to be a 2"x1 1/2"double Y with CO
                            SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Food waste grinders on a private septic system require the septic tank to be upsized by 50%
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X