Any "soft" kitchen sinks?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any "soft" kitchen sinks?

Wife wants to replace WHITE Kohler cast iron double sink with BLACK.

Is there a sink made of plastic or other material which gives and will less likely break glasses or dishes which slip from ones hands onto a hard surface?
    She does not want stainless steel which is what I like.

How do you all like the "Smart Divide" which would make cleaning large pans and woks easier?
    She won't allow a single bowl sink, either.

Thank you.

Robert
    Last edited by Robert Gift; 01-24-2011, 09:01 AM.
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Re: Any "soft" kitchen sinks?

Check out the black graphites.

Comment

I find that most of my customers regret getting double bowl sinks. There is always one pot that has a difficult time getting cleaned in a double bowl.

Comment

I like solid surface sinks from Transolid. They last foever and clean up like new with a scotch-brite pad. Colors to choose from.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
          I find that most of my customers regret getting double bowl sinks. There is always one pot that has a difficult time getting cleaned in a double bowl.
          The flipside is with the faucet they are likely to get it will take forever to fill with a decent amount of water.Or maybe people are figuring out how to have a bowl of soapy water in the single compartment.
          I still like two dif comp,one noticeably smaller than the oversized side.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
            The flipside is with the faucet they are likely to get it will take forever to fill with a decent amount of water.Or maybe people are figuring out how to have a bowl of soapy water in the single compartment.
            I still like two dif comp,one noticeably smaller than the oversized side.
            I want the single-bowl since I do all the wok cleaning after Chinese wife does the cooking with too much oil.
            I would also like to use plastic basins in which to soak things and less likely I'll break things in a plastic basin.
            But she say: "My kitchen. I want two sink." "You garage, you have laundly sink."

Comment

wth wash the woks in the garage. breid................

Comment

Solid surface like Corian probably meets your criteria. It is cleanable with the greenee pads, but I never liked corian. It stains too easy. Yes, you can scrub out the stain, but it never looks quite right to me,.

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
                  wth wash the woks in the garage. breid ...
                  Don't give her any ideas. I must put on shoes and it's FREEZING in the garage. And often there are car parts in the utility tub.

Comment

As Adam stated, the Granite composite might be what you want.

I've put these in & some other similar brand. (I think)

http://www.frankeusa.com/

Anyway, hard but softer than cast iron. If that makes sense.

Just a tip: It will completely destroy the teeth on a typical holesaw if it needs to be drilled. I know.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                      ... Just a tip: It will completely destroy the teeth on a typical holesaw if it needs to be drilled. I know.
                      J.C.
                      Thank you.
                      How do I make holes for soap dispenser and instant hot water for tea and ramenoodle?
                      Musthey be ordered with 5 holes?

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
                        Thank you.
                        How do I make holes for soap dispenser and instant hot water for tea and ramenoodle?
                        Don't know. I recall one I had to install and had to drill. Seems like more than one hole. Reasonably new Lenox holesaw ended up with flat teeth.

It DID drill it though. So if you don't mind sacrificing the bit, you'll get it done.

Or you can find a carbide or maybe a tile bit & try that.

J.C.

Comment

Out here we've been drilling sinks/tubs out since the eighties.
                          Carbide bit.Spring loaded is safer for porcelain.

Comment

I think double bowl sinks are much more convenient if you have a garbage disposer.

I have the Kohler smart divide you mentioned, the one with the smaller section (disposer) and larger section for general use. It's the best and most convenient sink I've had. The large section is quite large, and the low divider makes it convenient. Many of the Kohlers tend to be among the deeper sinks available, which I like.

Personally I think a porcelain-over-cast iron sink is as high-end as it gets. You can clean them with comet and never have a worry, although I use soft scrub which keeps the chrome shinier. I suppose it depends on how butter-fingered you are... how much stuff do you break in the sink, anyway? I would never worry about it, but that's just my preference.

Black porcelain fixtures are super good looking but a horrible water spot nightmare. Soft water is essential but even that isn't enough with black porcelain fixtures. One has to ask themselves if willing to wipe it dry after each use. The duller finish composite sinks are bound to be less demanding than porcelain. But in the end, "composite" is really just a fancy word for "plastic" with some other stuff mixed in.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
                              Thank you.

Have you seen how much sodium is in those noodles! That stuff will kill you!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X