Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Smoke Smell when Running Hot Water

Please let Us Know what it was. This is how We all Learn. Good Luck
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

heres a stupid question nobaudy ascked does that clicking only happen when the pipe starts to warm up as that could be expansion and contraction of the steal pipe also your flue in the heater itself could be partaly blocked with sediment causeing the smoke when you run the water heater just some thoughts as I have ran into that flue problem only once in my time
      SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

OK, so the first professional I had out to the property was a HVAC tech to check the furnace which, although being cleared by the fire dept., still sounded odd and had not been serviced in a while. As soon as he walked in, he said he smelled burning from an electrical fire and knew the motor in the furnace had gone. Upon closer inspection, this was the case. He replaced the motor, and claimed that the smell could be caused by nothing other than a motor in the process of burning up.

So, it would seem that motor began to burn right around the time the hot water was being used in the bathroom, and continued throughout the four hour span in which I attempted to replicate the faucet issue. There is still pronounced clicking from behind the wall when running hot water, but there has not been a burning smell since the new motor has been installed. I will have a plumber and electrician check it out as well, but this seems to have been the issue.

Thanks as always for your help and concern.

Comment

The noise your hearing is expansion of the hot water pipe in a bind against the framing. I get that question asked once a month...most think they are hearing "water dripping"

Comment

Originally posted by wcladley View Post
            OK, so the first professional I had out to the property was a HVAC tech to check the furnace which, although being cleared by the fire dept., still sounded odd and had not been serviced in a while. As soon as he walked in, he said he smelled burning from an electrical fire and knew the motor in the furnace had gone. Upon closer inspection, this was the case. He replaced the motor, and claimed that the smell could be caused by nothing other than a motor in the process of burning up.

So, it would seem that motor began to burn right around the time the hot water was being used in the bathroom, and continued throughout the four hour span in which I attempted to replicate the faucet issue. There is still pronounced clicking from behind the wall when running hot water, but there has not been a burning smell since the new motor has been installed. I will have a plumber and electrician check it out as well, but this seems to have been the issue.

Thanks as always for your help and concern.
            as I said do you only hear the clicking when you run the hot water ??? if sow then its expoansion and contraction of the hot water line against the rough frameing
            SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Originally posted by wcladley View Post
              He replaced the motor, and claimed that the smell could be caused by nothing other than a motor in the process of burning up. ...
              Thank you.
              Glad you got it resolved.

Our hardly-used Cuisinfart blender motor is also going out. Still runs well but now a burning smell even when pitcher is off and no load.
              Some darkening on a field winding in the motor, as though wires have pressed through their varnish insulation and are shorting.

Cuisinfart refuses to tell me how much a new motor costs.
              We'll never buy Cuisinart crap again.

"If the technicians discover that only the motor is bad, what is the cost of the repair?
              Thank you,
              Robert Gift

Mr. Gift,

As stated in the previous emails we cannot give a quote until the unit is seen by the technicians. You would be responsible for the shipping of the base to us and the cost of $10.00 to send the unit back once repaired. The technicians will not repair the base unless you approve the repair. You would be sent an invoice before the repair takes place.

Sincerely,
              Shelly
              Cuisinart Representative"
              Last edited by Robert Gift; 01-27-2011, 09:47 AM.
              I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
              It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
              "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Working...
              X