X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cutting terra cotta pipe?

I need to replace the main house trap on my house in SF. It is connected to a cracked terra cotta pipe with bell housing on the down hill side. I have been told to cut off the bell housing with my diamond blade 4" wheel.
    Could I get some advice on how to make the best smooth even cut. The part i need to cut is under a big section of granite curb so its not something I can see really well or use a big saw to cut.

Note on pictures
    The first is looking under the curb at the joint where the downhill side of the trap meets the line to the main sewer. The crack is in the bell housing and that is what I have been told to cut off.
    The second image is top down looking from sidewalk level down on the trap and where the vent should be connected. Left is uphill and right is downhill (where the first picture is taken)
    Thanks
    Kent
    Attached Files

Re: cutting terra cotta pipe?

Hello Rick, If I remember You posted a great Picture of Your famous H cut. Can You re post for Kent? Tanks Tool. Back to settin Glass Panels for Mom.
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

a chain cutter or a 4.5" disk grinder with a diamond wheel

Comment

Grinder with diamond blade is best. Cut the top half of the pipe first, then cut the bottom from the inside out. Honestly though, if you don't have experience doing plumbing you may want to hire a plumber. Real easy to screw up when dealing with clay.
        Last edited by Will Rogers Plumbing; 01-26-2011, 07:33 PM.
        Will Rogers Plumbing
        Moore, Oklahoma
        (
        405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
        http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

Originally posted by Will Rogers Plumbing View Post
          Grinder with diamond blade is best. Cut the top half of the pipe fisrt, then cut the bottom from the inside out. Honestly though, if you don't have experience doing plumbing you may want to hire one. Real easy to screw up when dealing with clay.
          I also believe He's reaching in under a side walk! If things go south call Me Kent !
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

yes...yes.. i would also say a diamond blade grinder is the best way to go...
            Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
            You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Working...
            X