X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A dripping B/W water heater

Hi, I have a Bradford White gas water heater, model MITW40L6LN10,installed new in 1999. It is starting to drip out the bottom,do I need to replace it,or could it be something else.It has been used with city water since new. Also, if it needs to be replaced, would the hot and cold pipes and exhaust, line up on a B/W 50 gal. or should a stay with the 40 gal. Thanks,Bill

Re: A dripping B/W water heater

What does dripping out of the bottom mean exactly?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Replace it. Prince had a song about 1999. That's a long time ago.

22 years is a very inefficient water heater.
      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

It is a drip about every 5 seconds The area around the burner is dry. The water seems to becoming from the edge of the tank where it travels around until it finds a hole in the bottom of the heater.

Comment

Time for a new heater.
          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR PLUMBING View Post
            Replace it. Prince had a song about 1999. That's a long time ago.

22 years is a very inefficient water heater.
            How efficient is a 12 year old one?

I kid, I kid.

Replace the heater. The tank seems to be leaking base on your description.

A 50 OR even a 40 may not line up correctly for water, vent, and gas.

J.C.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response. I was hoping to get another couple of years out of it.I should have known better. How long do the exhaust venting usually last?

Comment

Originally posted by Billypubah02 View Post
                Thanks for the quick response. I was hoping to get another couple of years out of it.I should have known better. How long do the exhaust venting usually last?
                You can always wait till Your home floods while You're at work
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I would double check closely around where the drain screws into the tank and around the relief valve. If those areas are dry go ahead and replace it.

Comment

Originally posted by Billypubah02 View Post

Let her go, she'll only break your heart later down the road. Sure you can work with her, and try to figure out her problems, but some girls need serious help. In the end when she says it's over, she will leave you cold and wet. Let her go son.
                    Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Stick a fork in it...its done!!! Take measurements then go to suppliers and match it up.
                      Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                      You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

I have a 50 gal electric Rheem that was installed in 2000 and its been weeping water for the past year and I'ma let her run till she blows
                        never anymore than a 1/4 cup of water in the pan...then dries up for a week or so then starts leaking again. I cant believe the thermostats haven't locked up yet...they look bad All rusted up

Comment

spot on tm. breid..............

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
                            Let her go, she'll only break your heart later down the road. Sure you can work with her, and try to figure out her problems, but some girls need serious help. In the end when she says it's over, she will leave you cold and wet. Let her go son.
                            Mother's water heater started leaking the day I was to leave for 2 weeks.
                            Lucky that I heard it and saw the water beginning to pool.
                            Shut off the water, attached a garden hose to drain the heater and replaced it before departing.
                            I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
                            It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
                            "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                              I have a 50 gal electric Rheem that was installed in 2000 and its been weeping water for the past year and I'ma let her run till she blows
                              never anymore than a 1/4 cup of water in the pan...then dries up for a week or so then starts leaking again. I cant believe the thermostats haven't locked up yet...they look bad All rusted up
                              And the Cobblers Son goes barefoot !
                              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                              X