X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slotted screws ???

Why are they still in existence? When the slotted screwdriver was invented did they give him a lifetime contract patent ..Then came mr. phillips and the whole screw industry changed .Enough of old mr. slot head but no we are still subjected to his inferior desingn that is forced upon us by so many products..
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Re: Slotted screws ???

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
    Why are they still in existence? When the slotted screwdriver was invented did they give him a lifetime contract patent ..Then came mr. phillips and the whole screw industry changed .Enough of old mr. slot head but no we are still subjected to his inferior desingn that is forced upon us by so many products..
    I like torx

Comment

Tradition.

I wouldn't like "Square-Drive" or "Phillips" screws on guns or period furniture.

-----Mike

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
        I like torx

Exactly, anything ..But slots ???

Comment

Conspiracy perpetrated by electricians.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Nature_Photog View Post
            Tradition.

I wouldn't like "Square-Drive" or "Phillips" screws on guns or period furniture.

-----Mike
            Ok I can see in certain circumstances for restoration on historic items etc. But thats it

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

J.C.
              Ok , now were getting somewhere

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                Exactly, anything ..But slots ???
                I bought some 3" torx deck screws to install some 2x4 rails for a privacy fence and loved them. They stay on the bit,dont strip and just seem easier to drive. I used an 18v Dewalt impactor and it worked great.

I have a couple surefire weapon lights that mount on gun rails. They have thumb screws with a large slot. You can use a knife to tighten the light to the rail. But for construction my first choice is torx. Never a slot.

Comment

I tell you what. That dewat impact is the deal . I have not used a drill to drive screws since I have owned it...I cannot think of any reason to use a slot screw and never will

Comment

Love My 2 18 volt Makita impacts
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

If some one is willing to buy them more than likely they will still make them and sell them,

Whether you or I consider them totally obsolete,

I know a lot of small retail has gone to torx or Robinson only,
                      and have even tried to phase out Phillips as well. or not carry them, as many users are not that impressed with the Phillips, design either. especially in the high torque applications.
                      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                      attributed to Samuel Johnson
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

spot on jc. spot on. breid..................

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

J.C.
                          Agreed. Well, maybe not electricians but by electrical component manufacturers. When I was doing electrical work, it seemed like I was using a slotted driver more often than a philips.
                          Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Those torx are tough to unscrew with a dime.

Comment

Toprx has its advantages, but there are some good engineering reasons why the Torx is not the end-all design. It won't replace allen head... when have you seen a ball head torx driver? There's strength issues as well, especially with flat head screws.

Comment

Working...
                              X