Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Concrete connection? Best way to repair?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concrete connection? Best way to repair?

Fellows,

I am looking for the best way to correct some problems that I have been having with my main drain line to my septic.

We puchased this home back in 2007 and knew that it had some plumbing peculiarities due to a remodel of the home in 1996.

We have lived here (total of 7 people) and had no problems until October 2010. This is when our septic tank started to overflow. We had a company come out to pump the system and found that the 'baffle', which was a clay tee, on the field line side of the tank had been broken off sometime in the past. The tank was pumped and again started to overflow after a few days. This confirmed that there was a blockage on the line leading to the field lines (no distribution box) due some scum or floating mass making it's way into the baffleless field line.

The line was partially dug up, cleaned, and eventually snaked before the system returned to normal operation. A strainer was installed into the broken clay tee to prevent large solids from going down the line.

Now the problem has moved to the other side of the tank and we have had several backups due to blockages before the tank.

We worked on the system last night and dug up part of the line to discover several different kinds of piping and what appears to be a concrete connection of the piping. Please see the attached images.

There is iron pipe coming from under the slab for the main part of the house as well as the small bathroom. The iron pipe appears to be connected with a concrete form. One section of the iron has been removed and a piece of schedule 40 PVC installed with rubber couplings. The pipe going into the septic tank looks to be a hard rubber hose and is also connected to the iron with some type of mortar.

The hose connection into the septic tank is not fully sealed and is leaking and will need to be re-done as well.

I am considering busting the concretion junction and running new PVC in place of this hodge-podge of piping and making the connection to both iron outlets with the rubber couplings. The PVC will run to and seat into the side of the septic tank. Is this feasible?

Thanks.
    Attached Files
    Acts 16:31

Re: Concrete connection? Best way to repair?

I didn't look at your pics but from your description I would replace the entire line to the septic tank with PVC if code approved.

Comment

i looked at pics. you already have half of it dug up. dig the rest and replace all. i like pvc like tm if authority will allow. breid...................

Comment

as master said I would take up all the different types of pipes and replace it with PVC all the way to the tank and stub it in and re hydroplug it to the tank for a good seal
        SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

now would be a good time to put in a 2 way clean-out also.
          The Other Rick

Comment

Thanks for the input fellows. I have purchased all of the components to re-do the line as described, but will have to wait on a good weather day.

I just Googled the Hydroplug. It looks like that might be be a better option than the fast-setting concrete that I was going to use. Are thee any other options to re-sealing the new tank penetration? I assume that the hydroplug is pretty expensive?

I was thinking about adding a clean-out on the other side of the Master Bath (about 35' upstream) as I have some piping repair to do there anyway.

Thanks again.
            Last edited by Harley; 02-01-2011, 08:19 AM. Reason: Additional comment.
            Acts 16:31

Comment

In the past we have sealed pipe to tanks with oakum....just pack it into the joint evenly and very very tight. Then seal with concrete. Works great. Oakum repels rooots.

Comment

Working...
              X