X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot water loop not hot

I just had my Bradford White 50 gal. installed. The problem, the old one was set up to deliver hot water within about 5 seconds to the tap. It was set up with a loop that started where the drain valve was,removed and replaced with a copper fitting and copper pipe that went up to the rafters and went in different directions. We hooked up the new one the same way,but now we wait up to a minute for hot water at the tap. The loop still has a drain valve connected to it at the bottom of the heater, so I opened it up and it was warm water coming out. The temp control is set at "B" 2 clicks from the highest setting.We loved the loop system and want it back. Thanks,Bill

Re: Hot water loop not hot

Can you post a picture of the system? Are you sure the pump and check valve were installed correctly and that the pump is actually running. Everyone makes mistakes and it's possible that maybe a check valve was installed backwards or someone forgot to connect power for the pump.
    Ideal Plumbing

Comment

There isn't a pump with this system.

Comment

the system you have doesn't use a pump

a few questions?

did you bleed out all the air from the system?

did you allow enough time for the system to come up to temperature and allow it to circulate?

was the same check valve used on the new heater?

how long has it been installed at the time of posting your question?

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

That's what I get for assuming there was a pump installed.... I just make Rick look better
          Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Hold on a second...water is only warm when checked at the heater drain? Does it ever get hot?
            Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Bradford heaters are equipped with heat trap nipples. remove the factory hot nipple and replace with either a brass or galvanized nipple of the same length. that should fix your problem.
              No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

All faucets have been bled. Heater went on line 20 hours ago (1-31). Don't know about the check valve. Is that the same thing as the blow off valve? If it is, then the same check valve was used.

Comment

The heat trap nipple may be the ticket. Everything else done in replacement was the same. Same brand of heater,connections, exhaust. That is why no heat quickly at the faucets didn't make sense. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                    Bradford heaters are equipped with heat trap nipples. remove the factory hot nipple and replace with either a brass or galvanized nipple of the same length. that should fix your problem.
                    You don't have to replace the dip tube or anode rod, BWC heat traps are easily removed, from the nipples.

Simply pull out the plastic di-electric insert remove the black rubber disk, and re-insert the di-electric insert.

Comment

Originally posted by Billypubah02 View Post
                      I just had my Bradford White 50 gal. installed. The problem, the old one was set up to deliver hot water within about 5 seconds to the tap. It was set up with a loop that started where the drain valve was,removed and replaced with a copper fitting and copper pipe that went up to the rafters and went in different directions. We hooked up the new one the same way,but now we wait up to a minute for hot water at the tap. The loop still has a drain valve connected to it at the bottom of the heater, so I opened it up and it was warm water coming out. The temp control is set at "B" 2 clicks from the highest setting.We loved the loop system and want it back. Thanks,Bill
                      Oh and yes, the heat trap was left in, just disconnect the hot side, remove the trap and reconnect.

Comment

Working...
                      X