X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator leak?

I noticed a leak in my bedroom ceiling in the corresponding spot where my upstairs neighbor's radiator is.

When I bought the apartment I noticed old water damage in this same spot, but in the 3 years I have been here this is the first time it has actually been wet.

Pretty sure my building uses steam heat; my radiators hiss a bit when they start going. We have no independent heat control and each unit has the ubiquitous NYC hot bathroom pole.

A few years back the management company sent out a note warning us not to keep the valves in any position other than fully opened or fully closed. Is this the most likely source of a leak?

I will knock on his door tomorrow but I assume there are no visible signs of water in his apartment. I also have some extra sheetrock from when I redid my walls, is it worth opening up the ceiling to take a look, or would a repair most likely happen from within his apartment?

I would love to have some insight before I call the super, and it would be great to avoid having workers have to come into my bedroom (and freak out my pet parrot).

Anyone have any experience with old apartment building heating systems and leaks?

My bedroom radiator (his is most likely the same style)

The wet spot (with old crappy patchwork from previous owner, good thing I procrastinated instead of repairing it)
    Last edited by JJJAAAMMM; 02-02-2011, 01:13 AM.

Re: Radiator leak?

Please post a picture of your parrot!
    (We have a Jenday conure.)
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

he loves taking showers, just not the kind that come leaking from the ceiling.

Comment

Senegal?
        Posing.
        Cute.

If the valve is leaking, could you very gently tighten the nut around the valve shaft to tighten the packing? I'd use another wrench to hold the valve body from twisting.

-14 F in Denver, Coldorado at 04:50
        I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
        It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
        "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Dusky Conure.

And the dude upstairs was not home - the leak seems to have dried up a bit, so I know it is not continuous. Grrrr... I need to move.

Comment

Working...
          X