Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can charge more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i don't want the cheap jobs. i'm the most expensive during the day. cheapest at night or weekends. almost no one asks price. will you came. i've got so that when people call with a problem, that i just tell them that i can come right away. that is a crowd pleaser. i work out of my truck, also. i used to tell people that you can work 40 hrs @$5.00 or 20 hrs @$10.00 or 10 hours @$20.00 and do it all on monday with the rest of week off with pay. your call. remember when you are out killing yourself for crap wages i'm taking the call from someone who wants to pay more. everyone doesn't want the cheapest. look at all people that live beyond their means. they buy stuff they can't afford. why not to you. as dan holohan said once "never assume the customer does not have any more money than you". YOU CAN CHARGE MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! breid...................

Comment

Re: What plumbers charge.

In the amount of time it takes to search the yellow pages, call a plumber, and get him into your home for a quote, a homeowner could have easily replaced two stops in less time if they had the know-how to do so. My point is not that plumbers 'charge too much', because obviously they have overhead expenses and need to make a profit. My point is that homeowners are at the mercy of tradsesmen until they acquire the knowledge and experience to do it themselves.

Rather than paying $400 to a plumber, they could spend around $50 on equipment (valves, pipe cutter, torch, etc.), and then spend some time educating themselves (library books, watching youtube videos, etc.). After a little practice they should be able to sweat the valves with little or no trouble. And once you learn how to do it you'll only get better and better. The next time they need to replace stop valves they'll already have all the equipment, and should be able to do it in a lot less time than it took the first time.

I feel like so many people in my generation don't know anything about anything when it comes to houses. Considering there is supposed to be a shortage of skilled tradesmen in the future, that will only result in higher and higher prices. If homeowners want to hedge against that, spend some time now to LEARN, so that you won't HAVE to hire the "high priced" contractors in the future (only if you want to ). A little knowledge never hurt anyone...

Comment

Originally posted by BuilderGal View Post
        In the amount of time it takes to search the yellow pages, call a plumber, and get him into your home for a quote, a homeowner could have easily replaced two stops in less time if they had the know-how to do so. My point is not that plumbers 'charge too much', because obviously they have overhead expenses and need to make a profit. My point is that homeowners are at the mercy of tradsesmen until they acquire the knowledge and experience to do it themselves.

Rather than paying $400 to a plumber, they could spend around $50 on equipment (valves, pipe cutter, torch, etc.), and then spend some time educating themselves (library books, watching youtube videos, etc.). After a little practice they should be able to sweat the valves with little or no trouble. And once you learn how to do it you'll only get better and better. The next time they need to replace stop valves they'll already have all the equipment, and should be able to do it in a lot less time than it took the first time.

I feel like so many people in my generation don't know anything about anything when it comes to houses. Considering there is supposed to be a shortage of skilled tradesmen in the future, that will only result in higher and higher prices. If homeowners want to hedge against that, spend some time now to LEARN, so that you won't HAVE to hire the "high priced" contractors in the future (only if you want to ). A little knowledge never hurt anyone...
        Sweating a valve is one thing doing it right and having a plumber who can do the job knows and follows code without burning your house down is priceless. Just because someone read a book does not mean they can to the job! Seen this many times
        Rod
        MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
        Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
        http://unclognh.com
        http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

I'm teaching myself to do open heart surgery figuring I will probably need it someday and I can save a lot of money doing it myself.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
            I'm teaching myself to do open heart surgery figuring I will probably need it someday and I can save a lot of money doing it myself.
            That's a great Idea! Wonder if there is a how to video on youtube?
            Rod
            MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
            Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
            http://unclognh.com
            http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

dont try it i found a video once of doctors taking out intestinal worms, i enjoy it while dining on spaghetti

Comment

Originally posted by BuilderGal View Post

words of wisdom from a real estate invester!!!!

Comment

gonna kill two birds with one stone. Gonna stay at a Holiday Inn Express and watch the You Tube video
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by leak1 View Post
                    words of wisdom from a real estate invester!!!!
                    You aint kidding!

I could go on for days telling you about the realtors we got rid of.

Comment

Very interesting to see the replies on here. BTW, the company I called works on Free Estimates, thus no service charge for the call. I also doubt, that had I agreed to his price, the tech would have done the work right then. Here's their website http://www.abaileyplumbing.com/ (hope it's ok to post this?)

Anyway, I don't argue with the fact that businesses can charge whatever they like and had the price come in around $200, I probably would have let him do it.

Anyway I bought a 100' roll of pex and all the fittings I needed for about $80 and just got a little dirty down in the crawl space and replaced everything. It's all nice and tight and dry and I feel good that "I did it myself"!

Comment

I fully understand the price difference in overhead that some companies have and I am by not means lowballing other plumbers. I also know that rates can vary from state to state. The prices should have been discussed over the phone before that plumber even showed up. But if it a companies overhead is HONESTLY pushing the cost of installing TWO angle stops to $466......then I wouldn't exactly call that business manager competent because he might swindle a few customers into that one......but it won't last long. I think the plumber's smart *** response to the customer only reinforces that companies attitude. Unless of course those TWO angle stops were plated with 24 karat gold...then I take it all back. And by the way.........I say all of this while at the same time being sick and tired of people complaining about plumber's rates....but the G.C, doctors, lawyers,dentists and electricians deserve just as much money sometimes A LOT more.......I guess we are SUPPOSED to be cheaper cause we touch ****.....HA!
                        Last edited by vette850; 02-02-2011, 03:45 PM.

Comment

A plumbing license is much easier to acquire than a license to practice medicine and law. They should get paid more. Every compare the cost of medical school and law school to the cost of a 2 year trade school for plumbing There is no comparision.....so if you want to make what dr.'s and lawyers do then I suggest some may need to sell their tools and sharpen a pencil because they dont hand those licenses out like plumbing licenses are.

I priced a privacy fence to be installed....price was 12.00 a ft. That included everything to install a 6' privacy fence. I had a 100 ft of fence to install,so the total would have been 1200.00. At the time the materials would have cost about 300.00. I went and bought a stanley bostich framing nailer,nails,twin tank stanley compressor,close to 100' of hose and the lumber.....total bill was right at 900.00 for all that. Then I paid myself 300.00 to install the fence. That was almost 15 years ago....The compressor still works and so does the nail gun. After two hurricanes the fence is still standing just like it was when I built it. It took me 1.5 days to install it. I have since built 3-4 hundred feet of fence with the same compressor and nail gun...plus countless other projects.

Moral of the story...you can price yourself out of the market.
                          Last edited by TheMaster; 02-02-2011, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
                            Sweating a valve is one thing doing it right and having a plumber who can do the job knows and follows code without burning your house down is priceless. Just because someone read a book does not mean they can to the job! Seen this many times
                            So it is impossible for a homeowner to sweat a valve right and follow the codes?? Yes, there are homeowners that do crappy hack jobs, but there are also homeowners who do nice professional-quality jobs. You obviously haven't "seen that many times" because they're not the ones that call you
                            Last edited by BuilderGal; 02-02-2011, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilC View Post
                              Very interesting to see the replies on here. BTW, the company I called works on Free Estimates, thus no service charge for the call. I also doubt, that had I agreed to his price, the tech would have done the work right then. Here's their website http://www.abaileyplumbing.com/ (hope it's ok to post this?)

Anyway, I don't argue with the fact that businesses can charge whatever they like and had the price come in around $200, I probably would have let him do it.

Anyway I bought a 100' roll of pex and all the fittings I needed for about $80 and just got a little dirty down in the crawl space and replaced everything. It's all nice and tight and dry and I feel good that "I did it myself"!
                              WELL THAT ANSWERS ALL THE QUESTIONS.........

That hottie on their website has to get paid and i doubt she is cheap therfore in order to pay her salary they have to charge more that is there overhead right there.

Id call em to with the hope they send her out to rebuild my faucet..

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                                That's funny - I mean that you plumbers are comparing sweating on a stop valve to open heart surgery.

Should I learn how to make my own dinner or should I hire a professional chef to do it for me??

Comment

Working...
                                X