Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What plumbers charge.

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
    WELL THAT ANSWERS ALL THE QUESTIONS.........

That hottie on their website has to get paid and i doubt she is cheap therfore in order to pay her salary they have to charge more that is there overhead right there.

Id call em to with the hope they send her out to rebuild my faucet..
    You betcha ! Don't forget they have to pay someone to drive around all day to give FREE estimates...Oh and nice song too
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

That's why I said " just as much money, SOMETIMES A LOT MORE." Last time I paid a doctor's bill ...it was about ten times as much as I charge per hour....and I had to wait for them.......AND they didn't come to me.......damn I wish I had gone to medical school instead........

Comment

Originally posted by BuilderGal View Post
        So it is impossible for a homeowner to sweat a valve right and follow the codes?? Yes, there are homeowners that do crappy hack jobs, but there are also homeowners who do nice professional-quality jobs. You obviously haven't "seen that many times" because they're not the ones that call you
        You mean the ones that thought they did a good job then call me in
        and say now I have to spend x amount to fix it now

Trust me I have seen enough DIY that thought they did a good job.
        Rod
        MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
        Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
        http://unclognh.com
        http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

That's funny - I mean that you plumbers are comparing sweating on a stop valve to open heart surgery.

Should I learn how to make my own dinner or should I hire a professional chef to do it for me??
          That depends you may have read the cook book. But you can still burn your Souffle!
          Rod
          MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
          Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
          http://unclognh.com
          http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
            You mean the ones that thought they did a good job then call me in
            and say now I have to spend x amount to fix it now

Trust me I have seen enough DIY that thought they did a good job.
            Some DIY work is above average. I did some electrical work for my shop and hired my electrician friend to come make the final connection at my main electrical panel....and to have him check my work. he looked it over and asked me if i wanted to change professions and that I do better work than MOST people...including electricians. 90% of it is wanting to do it right. I can read and comprehend very well,some cannot.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
              Some DIY work is above average. I did some electrical work for my shop and hired my electrician friend to come make the final connection at my main electrical panel....and to have him check my work. he looked it over and asked me if i wanted to change professions and that I do better work than MOST people...including electricians. 90% of it is wanting to do it right. I can read and comprehend very well,some cannot.
              I find that DIY'ers either do it one of two ways:

1) BETTER than people that are supposed to be professionals in that field.

2) Like a blindfolded man wearing mittens standing on a soccer ball.

Most do #2.

J.C.

Comment

this is an interesting discussion,

part of what comes out is the cost of Government intervention in the final cost of a product,

Our Illegal Aliens would never stand for that.They've got Handy work prices driven down to $25.00 per hour.
                most small outfits don't have the overhead that larger co's. have
                what is overhead? taxes, licenses, permit fees, insurance, workmanscomp, (these are required by the Governments at hand, to do business,

When I see a company charging those rates I know the company is run by a competent manager instead of some poor schmuck running the company out of his van.
                most of the large companies started out as some poor schmuck running the company out of his van or pickup.

going back to the over head,
                now overhead is usually lower in dollars, but not nessarly per job, for a one man company than it is for a multi person company,
                Really that statement is basically wrong unless some one is a poor manager, about the over head of a small company VS a large company,

first of all, besides the required "over head, by government decree" any additional over head is by choice, tools, supplies, type and age of transportaion, etc.

taking the schmuck running out of his van, if he chooses to hire a helper, then his over head may increase to nearly double, but now with help if he can bid larger jobs or do three times the work, the cost of over head per job, should be less, and profits greater.

and if the large company opens up it own supply house, and a show room, and is running 20 trucks, yes the dollars spent on over head is much greater, but each of those items should be standing on there own merits, there should be cost savings associated with the over head that is in place, if they only have jobs to keep 15 truck going, then there 5 trucks costing them money, and service personal standing around 1/4 of the time, (very expensive over head), non productive over head,

but back to the point,

if the Illegal is charging $25 with out any of the government mandates in place, (and he may be just as competent as any master plumber), and the plumber needs $150 to $400, to do the job, some where there is a major cost associated with Government intervention,
                (now I am not saying it should cost $25 or that it should cost $250 or even $400, but it is a prime example of the cost of Government intervention.
                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                  this is an interesting discussion,

part of what comes out is the cost of Government intervention in the final cost of a product,

what is overhead? taxes, licenses, permit fees, insurance, workmanscomp, (these are required by the Governments at hand, to do business,

most of the large companies started out as some poor schmuck running the company out of his van or pickup.

going back to the over head,
                  now overhead is usually lower in dollars, but not nessarly per job, for a one man company than it is for a multi person company,
                  Really that statement is basically wrong unless some one is a poor manager, about the over head of a small company VS a large company,

first of all, besides the required "over head, by government decree" any additional over head is by choice, tools, supplies, type and age of transportaion, etc.

taking the schmuck running out of his van, if he chooses to hire a helper, then his over head may increase to nearly double, but now with help if he can bid larger jobs or do three times the work, the cost of over head per job, should be less, and profits greater.

and if the large company opens up it own supply house, and a show room, and is running 20 trucks, yes the dollars spent on over head is much greater, but each of those items should be standing on there own merits, there should be cost savings associated with the over head that is in place, if they only have jobs to keep 15 truck going, then there 5 trucks costing them money, and service personal standing around 1/4 of the time, (very expensive over head), non productive over head,

but back to the point,

if the Illegal is charging $25 with out any of the government mandates in place, (and he may be just as competent as any master plumber), and the plumber needs $150 to $400, to do the job, some where there is a major cost associated with Government intervention,
                  (now I am not saying it should cost $25 or that it should cost $250 or even $400, but it is a prime example of the cost of Government intervention.
                  I find this not necessarily to be true in practice though. The "adding employees increases profit vs. overhead".

I call it....."The Crackhead Factor". Meaning sooner or later, a dumbazz is gonna' fall through your hiring filter. They'll be slower, make mistakes, and want to always know what's in it for them rather than what they can bring to the table. Sometimes two or three can filter in.

And therefore, they will be less efficient while overhead is a constant.

The larger the organization, often the larger the disorganization.

J.C.

Comment

That's funny - I mean that you plumbers are comparing sweating on a stop valve to open heart surgery.

Should I learn how to make my own dinner or should I hire a professional chef to do it for me??
                    Well the thing is people can learn to do anything they want. But are they licensed to do what they learned? Doctors have to go to school, and apprentice (can think of the term at the moment that they use), before they become full fledged doctors. Well let you let you in on a little secret, as a Plumber I had to go to school and apprentice as well before I became a full fledged plumber, 4 years of schooling 5 year apprenticeship, then had to take a written test, drawing, and a three part hands on test.
                    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                    Ron's Facebook
                    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

A shop that has a high overhead because of giant advertising budgets is by their choice.

A shop that has guys sitting around waiting for the phone to ring so a "tech" can be their in 30-minutes is by their choice.

A shop that gives "free" estimates on simple service call is by their choice.

Customers who want to spend extra for all of the above is by their choice.

A shop that does not feel they need to do all of the above is by their choice.

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

i challenge everyone that agrees with the price, if they would allow that company to work for your family members and close friends.

of course not. 2 angle stops and 2 water flex connectors are less than $20.00. even if they charged for a complete hour call, where is the $400+ coming from.

i know what i charge per hour and i know that there is not 1 person on this forum that has the overhead i have. no need to ask, but i can tell you in the 35 years i've been working, i doubt anyone individual has amassed the real estate and bank accounts that i have. i'm not bragging, i'm just telling you with hard work and and honest work ethics, it can be done.

rome was not built in a day and neither is a plumbing career.

for all of you that feel the price was fair, you have nothing to complain about or question then next time you're taken to the cleaners.

the op was 100% correct in questioning the company and 100% correct in bringing it up on the forum. what blows my mind are the people that agree with the company and tolerate the black eye reputation we as a trade get because of companies like this.

maybe that's why i haven't spent 1 cent in advertising and i don't sit waiting for the phone to ring.

all i can say is, if you agree with the price, you're part of the problem

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

I can't say I agree with any price. Not even yours. It's none of my business to judge.

What's a fair price? $50.00? $100.00? $200.00? $500.00?

Some people would actually feel that each one of those prices are too high.

My point being is that neither you or I are the price police. The free market is and the OP chose to use it and not let the smartazz that was sent there do any work.

Another thing that you may not have thought of is that these "outrageous" pricing companies have contributed greatly to your success by having this pricing structure because you have been able to work hard and be successful pricing below them. Some would even consider that "throat cutting" or downgrading the wage base of the trade. I don't. That's one of the reasons that makes your phone ring much more often.

I would LOVE it if all of these "outrageous" priced companies would come to my area. I wouldn't be able to count the calls coming in.

As it is I'm surrounded by Plumber Ricks. Or Plumber JC's or whoever one wants to label it. Makes the competition much tougher.

J.C.
                          Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 02-02-2011, 10:01 PM.

Comment

i doubt anyone thinks i'm undercutting the competition. as far as i'm concerned there is no competition. people call me and i do the job.

of course there are jobs i'm not interested in and will either pass or recommend a buddy for it.

the larger scale jobs do require 3 bids as per the hoa bylaws, but even on those i get the job.

there are salesmen and there are plumbers. i sell myself with my desire, knowledge and investment in this career. combine that with a fair price and it's a no brainer who's working and who's selling.

i would love to see how many of these overpriced companies have licensed journeymen with the required 4 years of apprenticeship and schooling to back them up.

the majority of these companies operate with 1 license holder and a bunch of unlicensed laborers. unfortunately the city,state and government turn a blind eye to our licensing.

too bad they don't treat us like the medical profession and enforce the license laws.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              i doubt anyone thinks i'm undercutting the competition. as far as i'm concerned there is no competition. people call me and i do the job.

of course there are jobs i'm not interested in and will either pass or recommend a buddy for it.

the larger scale jobs do require 3 bids as per the hoa bylaws, but even on those i get the job.

there are salesmen and there are plumbers. i sell myself with my desire, knowledge and investment in this career. combine that with a fair price and it's a no brainer who's working and who's selling.

i would love to see how many of these overpriced companies have licensed journeymen with the required 4 years of apprenticeship and schooling to back them up.

the majority of these companies operate with 1 license holder and a bunch of unlicensed laborers. unfortunately the city,state and government turn a blind eye to our licensing.

too bad they don't treat us like the medical profession and enforce the license laws.

rick.
                              City of Los Angeles requires (does not enforce) a Journeyman's rule. The majority of the State does not.

Mark
                              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                                I find the fact that business owners here are supporting the OP here very disturbing. The " I would have done it cheaper" rationale is the core reason why most of you are struggling and starving. YOU CHARGE WHATEVER YOU NEED TO PAY THE DAMN BILLS AND MAKE A REASONABLE PROFIT! If you continue to base your prices on what the competition is charging than your business is just another turd circling the drain How much lower are we going to go? While every thing else goes up, we go down because god forbid we don't take on every crappy, non paying, deadbeat job that crosses our desks.

"I never lost a cent on a job I did not do" Who's quote is that?

You are exactly right!!

I had a guy asking me questions about what I charge while at the counter the other day, a fellow plumbing "contractor" he said really? woiw, thats to much, wow you are expensive!

I asked him a simple question, "What does it cost for you to run your 1 man shop, pay all your general liability insurance, commercial auto and make a 10% profit" a billable hour?

He said well, I dont have general liability and I dont know what it cost, whats a billable hour?

I said then how do you know I am to expensive?

I am so tired of my fellow tradesman giving work away, this ios a business, a way to make money. Thanks to all you fellow "tradesman" my son will not be taking over my company and plumbing will not be considered a skilled trade anymore.
                                sigpic

Robert

Comment

Working...
                                X