Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What plumbers charge.

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
    The larger the organization, often the larger the disorganization.
    J.C.
    Agreed 100%. What I find curious is that the company has a set price on it's work. Why not just tell the customer that over the phone? Include there be additional charges for any other work to bring it up to code or whatever. This way the customer has some way to get a ballpark figure of what to spend. I suspect that's why "free estimates" are a selling point of that company. Can't sell enough jobs so they they want one customer to fork over the dough rather then have many customers being charged a honest price. That's why they need to be there in person. Easier to "convince" why they need to be charged so much.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

plumbing is a skilled trade. the real problem is with all the newer companies trying to get rich quick. show me that everyone of the guys in the field has a real plumbing license with 4-5 years of apprenticeship and schooling.

the real issue is the lack of enforcement and the run wild mentality of the owners and their workers.

get the city to enforce the license laws and enforce the permits and codes, most of these companies would hang themselves. until then it will continue to be a trade that gets a bad image, especially in the service and repair side of it that deals with the public.

the public also needs to wake up and get educated. they need to find tradesmen like they find a doctor. they need to interview them and go with the one they feel most comfortable with. not the first one that shows up and charges prices they can't justify.

we interviewed 2 different pediatricians prior to the birth of phoebe. the first one was the one that joey's brother and family uses. i was not impressed after the meet and greet.

the second one was a recommendation from a good customer, who's also a dr. i decided on the second dr. at first joey was a little concerned. that it was my choice and she was giving me the guilt trip.

but i was right and joey also feels we made the right decision.

people, you need to have your trades people picked out before the emergency happens. get referrals and set up a meeting. even if it cost you a service call. don't be stuck calling an ambulance chaser

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        plumbing is a skilled trade. the real problem is with all the newer companies trying to get rich quick. show me that everyone of the guys in the field has a real plumbing license with 4-5 years of apprenticeship and schooling.

the real issue is the lack of enforcement and the run wild mentality of the owners and their workers.

get the city to enforce the license laws and enforce the permits and codes, most of these companies would hang themselves. until then it will continue to be a trade that gets a bad image, especially in the service and repair side of it that deals with the public.

the public also needs to wake up and get educated. they need to find tradesmen like they find a doctor. they need to interview them and go with the one they feel most comfortable with. not the first one that shows up and charges prices they can't justify.

we interviewed 2 different pediatricians prior to the birth of phoebe. the first one was the one that joey's brother and family uses. i was not impressed after the meet and greet.

the second one was a recommendation from a good customer, who's also a dr. i decided on the second dr. at first joey was a little concerned. that it was my choice and she was giving me the guilt trip.

but i was right and joey also feels we made the right decision.

people, you need to have your trades people picked out before the emergency happens. get referrals and set up a meeting. even if it cost you a service call. don't be stuck calling an ambulance chaser

rick.
        WOW I could not agree more that was well said Rick
        SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Lemme know if anyone gets their feelings hurt in this thread.
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I am openly weeping as we speak

Rick, off the record I suspect there is something fishy with the OP in the first place because you and I both know that nobody would charge that much unless the stops were solid gold. People tend to exaggerate prices or not hear correctly. The price was probably more like " if there are problems, it could run as high as..." At any rate though my post stands. You have got to clear expenses and make profit. I am glad that you can see trends and problems in the trade, but non enforcement and non licensed plumbers are just one small part of the problem. BTW, we are the most expensive company in the area by far and the phone rings all day long and 13 plumbers will be on the road in the next 10 minutes and we have not laid anyone off, in fact, we're hiring. It's not price, its keeping pro misses and doing top notch work and standing by it.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
              I am openly weeping as we speak

Rick, off the record I suspect there is something fishy with the OP in the first place because you and I both know that nobody would charge that much unless the stops were solid gold. People tend to exaggerate prices or not hear correctly. The price was probably more like " if there are problems, it could run as high as..." At any rate though my post stands. You have got to clear expenses and make profit. I am glad that you can see trends and problems in the trade, but non enforcement and non licensed plumbers are just one small part of the problem. BTW, we are the most expensive company in the area by far and the phone rings all day long and 13 plumbers will be on the road in the next 10 minutes and we have not laid anyone off, in fact, we're hiring. It's not price, its keeping pro misses and doing top notch work and standing by it.
              I relayed the conversation exactly as it occurred, and the price he quoted was working up top from the wall, per stop. If he was required to go into the crawl space, it was $175 plus whatever extras were required down there.

I ended up changing everything from underneath, from where the 3/4" supply lines went to 1/2". I figured the house is around 40 years old and it was just the thing to do.

Just to let you know where I'm coming from....take my comments as those of a consumer of your plumbing services. I'm a retired truck driver and have the greatest respect for tradesmen and those who earn a living with "their hands". I'm neither rich nor cheap, so I expected to pay a fair price to get the job done...at my age going down into the crawl space and crawling to the opposite side of the house isn't my idea of fun. I posted the incident only to point out that I felt the quote was too high, I also posted the website of the company, so if you feel like calling, you can see if they will verify that this what they charge.

The comments such as, "we have to charge what we need to make a profit", "my overhead is so high", etc. only make me think of the saying, "Don't let your problems become my problems". In this day and age, people shop competitively and I would think business owners need to consider that.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilC View Post
                I relayed the conversation exactly as it occurred, and the price he quoted was working up top from the wall, per stop. If he was required to go into the crawl space, it was $175 plus whatever extras were required down there.

I ended up changing everything from underneath, from where the 3/4" supply lines went to 1/2". I figured the house is around 40 years old and it was just the thing to do.

Just to let you know where I'm coming from....take my comments as those of a consumer of your plumbing services. I'm a retired truck driver and have the greatest respect for tradesmen and those who earn a living with "their hands". I'm neither rich nor cheap, so I expected to pay a fair price to get the job done...at my age going down into the crawl space and crawling to the opposite side of the house isn't my idea of fun. I posted the incident only to point out that I felt the quote was too high, I also posted the website of the company, so if you feel like calling, you can see if they will verify that this what they charge.

The comments such as, "we have to charge what we need to make a profit", "my overhead is so high", etc. only make me think of the saying, "Don't let your problems become my problems". In this day and age, people shop competitively and I would think business owners need to consider that.
                Just curious...how did you pick out the company you called?

Comment

I understand why you told that guy not to do the work. Thing is as I said calling the largest company with the biggest ad in the phone book will result in a higher than normal price. Our problems are not your problems since you can always say no to what we charge, and have the option to call another shop.

I get told by a handful that our rates are outrageous compared to "Joe's Plumbing", I then explain to them our rates are not based on what our competitors charge they are based on our cost to do business.

I have many others tell me that our rates where very reasonable compared to "Jack's Plumbing", I also explain to them our rates are not based on what our competitors charge they are based on our cost to do business. And I hope that "Jack's Plumbing" does the same.

I also have had customers say my price was somewhat higher than other quotes they have gotten, bet went with me because I have an A+ rating with the BBB and their neighbors highly recommended me.
                  Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                  Ron's Facebook
                  A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                  Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                  Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                    I understand why you told that guy not to do the work. Thing is as I said calling the largest company with the biggest ad in the phone book will result in a higher than normal price. Our problems are not your problems since you can always say no to what we charge, and have the option to call another shop.

I get told by a handful that our rates are outrageous compared to "Joe's Plumbing", I then explain to them our rates are not based on what our competitors charge they are based on our cost to do business.

I have many others tell me that our rates where very reasonable compared to "Jack's Plumbing", I also explain to them our rates are not based on what our competitors charge they are based on our cost to do business. And I hope that "Jack's Plumbing" does the same.

I also have had customers say my price was somewhat higher than other quotes they have gotten, bet went with me because I have an A+ rating with the BBB and their neighbors highly recommended me.
                    Some people think that wasting money can be made up by claiming its overhead when in reality they are just stupid businessmen and waste their money and expect the customer to pay their higher rate.

I will state for a fact that I make a higher profit per call than some companies do that charge more than I do. Their profit is wasted by expensive garbage that they buy....driving their overhead through the roof.

Comment

Same goes for a small outfit. They feel since you are "so small" you can do the job for 1/2" .I tell people . I have worked just as hard as co.A. Have just as many licences as co.A.Pay just as much insurance as co.A. Have to buy as many tools as co. A So why shouldn't I charge co.A prices. Then I start thinking that if I charge co. A prices why wouldn't they just go with co.A . After all they are well established .r..

I still want co.A prices sorry
                      Last edited by OLD1; 02-03-2011, 08:18 AM.
                      ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                        Just curious...how did you pick out the company you called?
                        They are one of the first listings in the phonebook and they indicated that they serve my are (Ocean County).

Comment

Originally posted by PhilC View Post
                          They are one of the first listings in the phonebook and they indicated that they serve my are (Ocean County).
                          No internet search? I dont blame you,I also use a phonebook and alot of my customers do also.

I give people estimates over the phone for simple repairs and its by the hour. I will not come out and look for free. Thats one way I weed out the price shoppers and don waste my gas and time. This practice allows me to keep rates reasonable compared to others that do not operate as I do.

Comment

phil, you really blew it

you forgot to take advantage of the $30.00 off coupon

http://www.abaileyplumbing.com/coupons.shtml

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              phil, you really blew it

you forgot to take advantage of the $30.00 off coupon

http://www.abaileyplumbing.com/coupons.shtml

rick.
                              That's all part of the overhead.

Mark
                              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

rickster. do you think the people that charge 25% or less than you are under cutting you?................ when you went to the doc do you get price quotes? you could have gone to mexico and found competent docs for less. when i lived in new mexico we used to buy our meds, docs, dentists, booze, clothes and always filled up the tank with cheap gas. no drugs. the people that sell them to you will turn you in for the bounty. lol. all docs are NOT the same price. when my wife went to mayo we paid a premium over insurance. private docs charge whatever they want.................. trucker is right and $400. is right. nobody held a gun to anyone's head. nobody got a total repipe that they didn't need. the price is not the problem, don't pay it. the so call "free market will take of it". ain't nutin free there including a hard time. this is the "free market" in action. i here not bragging people on here bragging about now they showed up and charged x for 5 or10 minutes work. what is the difference? i say whats the difference? breid...................

Comment

Working...
                                X