Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What plumbers charge.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Re: What plumbers charge.

    The free market only works to a point. There are companies out there that will charge a "service call" and then offer to discount it from the bill if the customer agrees to the work right there. Now you have a layperson who has no idea what the work should cost but is put in the position of do it or lose it. At least the plumber in the OP post had free estimates so the OP could get a second price or option.

    Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

    I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

    Comment


    • #62
      Re: What plumbers charge.

      Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
      The free market only works to a point. There are companies out there that will charge a "service call" and then offer to discount it from the bill if the customer agrees to the work right there. Now you have a layperson who has no idea what the work should cost but is put in the position of do it or lose it. At least the plumber in the OP post had free estimates so the OP could get a second price or option.

      Mark
      Bingo. Thats the quickest way to get ran out of town here. The word gets around that you come out and give a crazy high price and when they dont bite they pay the 65.00 call out fee or whatever it is. So the guy goes around town collecting service call fees and every now and then actually does some work and when he does its double what everyone else is charging. Nice plan while it lasts.

      Comment


      • #63
        Re: What plumbers charge.

        The one man rodeo's have always complained about the big companies that charge more. Fact is, I have 17 employees on the payroll, a large shop and showroom, trucks, insurance and all the usual stuff. In short, expenses are near a mil a year. I would turn off the lights and lock the doors if all I could charge was 60 bucks an hour. We are swamped with work and usually are because we are a solid, reliable company that has close to 60 years in business.
        sigpic

        Comment


        • #64
          Re: What plumbers charge.

          Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
          The one man rodeo's have always complained about the big companies that charge more. Fact is, I have 17 employees on the payroll, a large shop and showroom, trucks, insurance and all the usual stuff. In short, expenses are near a mil a year. I would turn off the lights and lock the doors if all I could charge was 60 bucks an hour. We are swamped with work and usually are because we are a solid, reliable company that has close to 60 years in business.
          I've never heard of a one man rodeo as you put it complaining about the big companies charging more...Its always their former customers doing the complaining. Dont blame the one man shops,infact I encourage you to raise your prices.

          Comment


          • #65
            Re: What plumbers charge.

            Seems to me if you need to charge $400 to swap out a couple stops, you have allowed your overhead to get completely out of control.

            Comment


            • #66
              Re: What plumbers charge.

              Originally posted by ILPlumber View Post
              Seems to me if you need to charge $400 to swap out a couple stops, you have allowed your overhead to get completely out of control.
              No question about that. Like I said 400 dollars is way out of the ballpark.

              TM, we have had this conversation many times before. I have no interest in low balling anything, nor am I ever concerned about what the little fishes are charging. Time and again we have proved that we can grow the business, charge what we need to cover overhead and still be the busiest company in the area. And all without installing pex, aav's, flexi supplies or any of that other cheap and fast craqp that the little guys have to use to stay cheap.
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #67
                Re: What plumbers charge.

                NHMaster, How are businesses doing down in the southern half of New Hampshire?
                Every trade I have a chance to speak with is having a tuff time up here.
                Were losing stores and shops seems like every week. Went to Radio Shack to pick up an RCA cable two days later their gone!
                Last edited by UnClogNH; 02-03-2011, 06:13 PM.
                Rod
                MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                http://unclognh.com
                http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

                Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

                Comment


                • #68
                  Re: What plumbers charge.

                  Infact its always the reverse....its the big companies complaining about how "cheap" the little guy is doing work for. But what the big companies may or may not realize is that a well oganized one man shop can work 1/2 as much and make twice as much money working as a one man shop compared to working for a large company. Simple as pie.

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Re: What plumbers charge.

                    Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                    Infact its always the reverse....its the big companies complaining about how "cheap" the little guy is doing work for. But what the big companies may or may not realize is that a well oganized one man shop can work 1/2 as much and make twice as much money working as a one man shop compared to working for a large company. Simple as pie.
                    Excellent Let's hear it for the lil' man..
                    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Re: What plumbers charge.

                      Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                      Infact its always the reverse....its the big companies complaining about how "cheap" the little guy is doing work for. But what the big companies may or may not realize is that a well oganized one man shop can work 1/2 as much and make twice as much money working as a one man shop compared to working for a large company. Simple as pie.
                      You can only do as much work and make as much money as you are able to work
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Re: What plumbers charge.

                        Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                        You can only do as much work and make as much money as you are able to work

                        Understandably for the majority of our society there is a price range for any given service where they feel comfortable. If the percieved benefits of his work were less than his cost, then he will be out of business quickly. However, even if his price were $5,000 for the two stops, if the customer's percieved benefit exceeded the price of the repair he would be a very successful businessman. A one-man operation, while it may work great in the present time, is no way to provide yourself or your kids financial stability. There comes a point when you become tired of trading hours for dollars.
                        Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Re: What plumbers charge.

                          The truth is we as business owners are the ones who decide how much overhead and how much profit we want to make. I'm not sure I would call it low-balling if a guy who is fully insured and licensed has a lower overhead than a large shop with a showroom. The showroom will bring the larger shop more work but at a cost. We all make choices and whose to say whether the little shop who keeps his overhead lower than the larger shop is incompetent or more competent than the large shop.

                          Now if a guy is cheaper because he is uninsured and unlicensed , then he is low-balling.

                          Mark
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                          I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Re: What plumbers charge.

                            Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
                            Understandably for the majority of our society there is a price range for any given service where they feel comfortable. If the percieved benefits of his work were less than his cost, then he will be out of business quickly. However, even if his price were $5,000 for the two stops, if the customer's percieved benefit exceeded the price of the repair he would be a very successful businessman. A one-man operation, while it may work great in the present time, is no way to provide yourself or your kids financial stability. There comes a point when you become tired of trading hours for dollars.
                            With all due respect, until you become licensed your overhead is lower than others even if it is only licensing fees.

                            Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                            I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Re: What plumbers charge.

                              Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                              You can only do as much work and make as much money as you are able to work
                              Yes thats what makes it a one man shop.

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Re: What plumbers charge.

                                Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
                                Understandably for the majority of our society there is a price range for any given service where they feel comfortable. If the percieved benefits of his work were less than his cost, then he will be out of business quickly. However, even if his price were $5,000 for the two stops, if the customer's percieved benefit exceeded the price of the repair he would be a very successful businessman. A one-man operation, while it may work great in the present time, is no way to provide yourself or your kids financial stability. There comes a point when you become tired of trading hours for dollars.
                                Speak for yourself about one man shops and financial stability. Just because most cant doesn't mean its not possible. It takes an above average person to do it without PSI

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X